Ok folks....the wait is over (hopefully..!!)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I’m not meaning to start an argument here, but can I just get something straight in my head.

OP, saw horse advertised, viewed and put £200 deposit down on horse to hold until vetting? Is this correct?

Seller did not let anyone view horse, therefore could have potentially lost a sale?

2 stage vetting held, vet did not fail the horse but suggested OP may have problems in the future? OP decided not to purchase horse?

Am I correct so far? Or have missed anything?

The seller initially refused to return deposit but is now blackmailing OP to remove this post and then she has agreed to refund?

But, and I’m not saying it’s something I would do as I would refund the deposit, surely seller could argue that she has turned away potential sales, may have to pay to re-advertise, livery costs etc and is entitled to keep the deposit as the horse didn’t ‘fail’ the vetting?

I have never left a deposit on a horse myself, simply because vettings are not pass or fail anymore and I’m really sorry that the OP is out of pocket, but perhaps a lesson to be learned here fo us all.

OP I do hope you get your money back 🤞🤞

There is no pass or fail on most vettings. Vets do not usually fail horses. They give the buyer information, and on the basis of the information the BUYER decides whether or not to go ahead.

In any reasonable person's terms, a significant neurological problem which has already caused muscle wastage and requires further investigation is a failure.

It is normal to leave a deposit pending a vetting in order to show that you are not a time waster. It is not normal to refuse to return that deposit of the buyer is justifiably unhappy with the result of the vetting.

I don't understand what lesson you think should be learned? Not to pay deposits? If the buyers of the last horse I sold had not left a deposit, he would have been sold to the people coming the following day who were nice people who were very keen on him as well, and they would have lost out on a horse they are having the time of their lives with.

Deposits are a risk for both sides that are completely normal in buying and selling horses.

ls0311

Visit site
Considering that the advert has been deleted so the link doesn't take you to any info about seller, and there's no detailed info on here that you would be able to tell who seller or horse are, surely it's irrelevant if the thread is kept up anyway?! Only the people commenting who saw the advert when first posted will know what the horse looks like and deleting the thread won't change that.

The thread is not going to damage anyone's reputation by staying up when it's not possible to find out who seller or horse are, so surely refund can just be given and end of story?!

(apologies if I have missed some vital bit of telling info, but I'm pretty sure I've read it all and there isn't any...)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I’m not meaning to start an argument here, but can I just get something straight in my head.

OP, saw horse advertised, viewed and put £200 deposit down on horse to hold until vetting? Is this correct?

Seller did not let anyone view horse, therefore could have potentially lost a sale?

2 stage vetting held, vet did not fail the horse but suggested OP may have problems in the future? OP decided not to purchase horse?

Am I correct so far? Or have missed anything?

The seller initially refused to return deposit but is now blackmailing OP to remove this post and then she has agreed to refund?

But, and I’m not saying it’s something I would do as I would refund the deposit, surely seller could argue that she has turned away potential sales, may have to pay to re-advertise, livery costs etc and is entitled to keep the deposit as the horse didn’t ‘fail’ the vetting?

I have never left a deposit on a horse myself, simply because vettings are not pass or fail anymore and I’m really sorry that the OP is out of pocket, but perhaps a lesson to be learned here fo us all.

OP I do hope you get your money back 🤞🤞

You are partly right. However, the seller advertised the horse as (in her own words) having "no health issues what so ever".
So they have breached their part of our "contract" by not supplying the horse advertised. Had it been as cut and dried as * horse MIGHT have future issues but is currently good...hmmm I dont want to take the risk of the MIGHT probls* then I would absolutely not expect my deposit returned.
Vet didn't suggest that horse MIGHT have problems in the future...he said that, although the horse could technically do the job ON THAT DAY, the horse had several significant problems which WOULD need further investigation (not insurable) and he suspected these to be neurological and degenerative. His advice was that this would make the horse a very costly purchase, uninsurable and would proceed with the purchase with extreme caution.
Of course, vets will no longer pass or fail a horse, they can only say if the horse is up to the job it's required to do on the day of the vetting.
I hope this clears things up somewhat.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Good luck SLH in your quest to get your deposit back, and more luck in finding 'the one'.
I have never seen the advert in question about this mare, so can't comment on that. Just want you to know that I'm wishing you well. Any sane person can clearly see the seller of said mare sounds like they need their marbles re-aligned!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Right everyone...while I'm not one for bowing to blackmail I'm going to offer the seller a compromise.
If everyone could stop bumping/posting then this thread will slowly disappear. As I can't remove the thread this means it will disappear from the active threads.
Seller can then do the refund. Of course if the refund doesn't appear then the thread can be reactivated at any time. I think this is a fair compromise due to the breakdown of trust.

SpringArising

Visit site
If you're getting at me I said the neck jumped out in one photo - it did - there was significant muscle under the neck which I wouldn't have been happy with myself - I did not say that I though that was why it failed the vet - try reading posts correctly before being spiteful.

What you're referring to is called an upside down neck/ewe neck. It's one of the most common and benign confo faults in horses which can be reversed with a lot of correct work. You'd be turning away a hell of a lot of horses if you think an upside down neck is a big deal.

ETA - sorry SHL just catching up. Will not post on this thread again and I really hope you get your money back!

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
What you're referring to is called an upside down neck/ewe neck. It's one of the most common and benign confo faults in horses which can be reversed with a lot of correct work. You'd be turning away a hell of a lot of horses if you think an upside down neck is a big deal.

ETA - sorry SHL just catching up. Will not post on this thread again and I really hope you get your money back!

Stop being so bloody patronising 🙄 I'm well aware what a ewe neck is.

The picture actually showed a close coupled upside down neck.

Neither of which I would be willing to buy.

Apologies SLH but I'm really sick of the arrogance of some on here - wishing you well 💐

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Well folks, guess what..?! STILL NO DEPOSIT..!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Obviously I have submitted to the small claims court but it's been suggested to me to day (by some who knows a little of law) that I should call the BHS free legal team tomorrow for info on whether I might actually be able to claim for the vetting too. This is because there was another potential buyer who was interested at the same time as all this was going on that the seller lied to. They told this person (on the evening day of the vetting) that they'd constantly been calling me and I hadn't replied, then had called them to say that I couldn't get the rest of the money..!! They then told the buyer that horse was in perfect health with just a few minor scars on her legs..!! This buyer has sent screenshots of the conversation and is willing to write a statement.
Person I spoke to about legal stuff says this could show an intention to deceive. I don't know about any of that but because of the neice posting in the manner she has on here she will now be an unreliable witness to anything.
I have a witness statement, the vetting, the potential buyer statement, vet will also write a letter explaining the vet findings. Anything else I might need???

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Well folks, guess what..?! STILL NO DEPOSIT..!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Obviously I have submitted to the small claims court but it's been suggested to me to day (by some who knows a little of law) that I should call the BHS free legal team tomorrow for info on whether I might actually be able to claim for the vetting too. This is because there was another potential buyer who was interested at the same time as all this was going on that the seller lied to. They told this person (on the evening day of the vetting) that they'd constantly been calling me and I hadn't replied, then had called them to say that I couldn't get the rest of the money..!! They then told the buyer that horse was in perfect health with just a few minor scars on her legs..!! This buyer has sent screenshots of the conversation and is willing to write a statement.
Person I spoke to about legal stuff says this could show an intention to deceive. I don't know about any of that but because of the neice posting in the manner she has on here she will now be an unreliable witness to anything.
I have a witness statement, the vetting, the potential buyer statement, vet will also write a letter explaining the vet findings. Anything else I might need???

Gin? (only because I would need it - I did not follow up on a mis sold horse once, but it was within 6 years so, according to the link I *could* follow up even now. But, I am for the easy life and have not.

Seriously, I wish you luck.

wills_91

Visit site
Take it all the way and don't back down. I am so angry at the remarks made towards you & about your disability/financial situation ect..

Winter whatever if you are reading this - there has been no witch hunt towards the seller or the horse. If you care to look at other threads on this forum you will see that on many times longstanding members have been called out for misleading adverts. SLH herself has also taken a fair amount of criticism over horse choices ect it's not all tree hugging and fluffy bunnies on here!!

When slh posted that the horse would not be suitable the comments were all the same lines of "what a shame" & "walk away" slh has at no point slandered anyone. Return the deposit and be done with it.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I should also add that because the seller admitted in front of me, the vet and my friend that they'd originally bought the horse to sell as they'd done a fair bit of dealing...going to Ireland several times a week in the past to buy horses to sell, that I may be able to claim under trading standards type law as dealing is classed as a business..??

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
And we all played so nicely by not posting 😏😕😔

I know, I hate the fact that it has come to this but I won't back down now. It's about the principle as much as the money. If I get awarded the vetting money too then the seller will be over £500 out of pocket if you take into account court costs, all for the sake of £200. I guess they must have very deep pockets, esp with their solicitors app tomorrow to sue me for "slander too" 🤔🙄

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I should also add that because the seller admitted in front of me, the vet and my friend that they'd originally bought the horse to sell as they'd done a fair bit of dealing...going to Ireland several times a week in the past to buy horses to sell, that I may be able to claim under trading standards type law as dealing is classed as a business..??
Perhaps the tax man might like to know.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think (not positive) that you are classed as a dealer if you sell 8 or more a year by HMRC and subject to income tax on profits.

Not so now NM. The last definition I had was that if you buy with the intention of selling at a profit, which this seller told SLH she did, then you are dealing.

I'm not sure where you got eight from, it was three everywhere I've lived.

In any case, the seller does not need to be a dealer for SLH to sue her for the return of her deposit or for misrepresenting the horse.