Ok

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
Thanks for thinking of us.

My girl has now crossed rainbow Bridge.

The build up of dread all week was far worse than the deed itself. She went stuffed full of treats and none the wiser and I was beside her till the end.

I'm feeling a bit sad but also relieved. No doubt I'll go through a mix of feelings over the coming days and weeks.

I will likely alway carry guilt for what feels like a selfish act but the replies to my previous posts have reassured me that this was the right thing to do for her to ensure she was never again passed to an unsuitable home.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I also missed your earlier thread. I am so very sorry for your loss and for what its worth I also believe you have 100 per cent done the right thing for your horse. At the moment I am fortunate that my retired mare can still live at home with me, circumstances might alter quite drastically in the next few months and I will no hesitate to make the same decision you have to protect my old faithful's future safety and security.

Be kind to yourself and take comfort that she now rests easy and you have don't the very best for her. x

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I will likely alway carry guilt for what feels like a selfish act but the replies to my previous posts have reassured me that this was the right thing to do for her to ensure she was never again passed to an unsuitable home.

I'm so sorry you've had time do this. There's nothing selfish about ending the pain and ensuring the horse will never be passed around or feel pain again. In fact you've made a selfless decision and I wish more people were equally brave.

Hopefully in time you can smile at some good memories , until you feel able to do that , do not think for one second that you've been selfish.

Surbie

Visit site

I hope in time it hits home that you did right by her. It wasn't selfish. I'm glad it went so well and I hope also you are remembering all the good times.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The thing we also need to remember in these situations when we call it a day when we think it may have been to soon is that you will never see the suffering that could have been round the corner when one of the issues worsened.
You prevented that, that’s hard for us but perfect for them.
Often I feel when the time is blindingly obvious it’s either an emergency which can’t be avoided or we called it too late.
Your lucky mare won’t know that time.

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
The thing we also need to remember in these situations when we call it a day when we think it may have been to soon is that you will never see the suffering that could have been round the corner when one of the issues worsened.
You prevented that, that’s hard for us but perfect for them.
Often I feel when the time is blindingly obvious it’s either an emergency which can’t be avoided or we called it too late.
Your lucky mare won’t know that time.
The logical part of my brain absolutely recognises this - there will just always be a chance that she could have lived happily for many years beyond today. Its the uncertainty that creeps up on me but as you say, she'll know no pain.

sky1000

Visit site
Oh yes, you did the right thing. The post that has stayed with me the most is a market inspector who saw old horses, who were once loved, but too old to be useful now, looking up hopefully whenever they saw a girl in a gilet that they thought might be their old owner coming to save them.

Daniel_Jack

Visit site
Oh yes, you did the right thing. The post that has stayed with me the most is a market inspector who saw old horses, who were once loved, but too old to be useful now, looking up hopefully whenever they saw a girl in a gilet that they thought might be their old owner coming to save them.
That makes me so sad ?

ecb89

Visit site
Blimey. Did not expect to be crying this morning.

SEL

Visit site

The build up of dread all week was far worse than the deed itself. She went stuffed full of treats and none the wiser and I was beside her till the end.

I'm feeling a bit sad but also relieved. No doubt I'll go through a mix of feelings over the coming days and weeks.

Well done. Never, ever easy and the grief will hit you at odd times. You did right by her and that's what matters xxx

fankino04

Visit site

I missed the previous thread about this and so sorry that you had to make this decision. I've personally felt that guilt too, not for making the decision but for the unexpected feeling of relief when it was done. Be kind to yourself knowing you did the best and bravest thing x

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Feeling really teary this morning about it all as it's all sinking in.

In between the tears and grief try to allow a little pride to creep in. If all owners were like you, any animal not just horses, there would be no suffering, no fear and no need for animal welfare officers like me. All animals deserve an owner like you, sadly many are not as lucky as the horse you have just made the right decision for.