Okay now I've seen everything......

lazysunday

Visit site
Call me traditionalist, old-fashioned, stuck in the dark ages, grumpy old woman,

but,Clip-In HAIR EXTENSIONS For Horses !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???????????????

Saw them advertised in a horse magazine today, knew there was a reason I only buy H&H and Eventing.

Shall have to lie down with long cool Pimms....

3Beasties

Visit site
They are not as bad as you have probably imagined. They tend to be for when manes have been rubbed by rugs over winter. Adding a hair extension means that their mane can still be plaited so they look smart for competitions or whatever.

heebiejeebies

Visit site
I use them on my horses tail. We show in hand and since he has a spindly wee rats tail lol I use them to give it a bit more oomf!! I was horrified when I first heard about them as well, then I was like "Wait a minute... these could be used to our advantage!" :D

kellybee

Visit site
I used to laugh at this too, but since I've now got an appy whose tail is so fine and thin it barely reaches his hocks I'd honestly consider using one when out! No garish pinks but a white one would make him look less like an overpruned afghan!

suffolkmare

Visit site
Likewise! Initial reaction :eek: but now our boy has lost a chunk of mane (must have got too warm under the rug, guilty for not making point of asking YO to take it off) maybe they sound like a good idea :p

Pigeon

Visit site
Been going on in the states for years and years, is pretty much standard for stock horse showing, and americanised 'english' classes like Hunter Jumper.

Queenbee

Visit site
Same reaction here when I first heard about them but now... I think they are an excellent idea and wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I have no problem with them being used for fancy dress, but it feels like cheating if they are being used for 'proper' showing :eek:

frozzy

Visit site
Lovely till they fall out during your show if not properly attatched! At an NPS area 5 show a lot of years ago during the M&M WHP a lovely fell became unattatched from its tail as it came round a corner and as it exited the ring I discretely handed it up to the rider whose only worry was had the judge seen!

Enfys

Visit site
Lovely till they fall out during your show if not properly attatched! At an NPS area 5 show a lot of years ago during the M&M WHP a lovely fell became unattatched from its tail as it came round a corner and as it exited the ring I discretely handed it up to the rider whose only worry was had the judge seen!

:):D

Here you are, these are commonplace in North America, prices on this particular site up to about $300, I have seen them for much more :eek:

http://www.northernhorse.com/southend/colortails.htm

For fun, with charms:
150crop085.jpg

Serious stuff:
tailweb3.jpg

and how to do it:
honey11.jpg

What gets me is that everyone knows magnificent tails are false, are the Judges really swayed by them or the lack of them, or is it just for aesthetics?

Like Frozzy I have been at a show and seen this, a horse backing up in hand stood on the tail and ripped it out, the handler just blithely scooped it up and tucked it in her belt and carried on as if she didn't really have a 3' long tail hanging from her waist at all. :)

Last edited: