Oliver Skeet backs the Hope Not Bus

BBH

Visit site
Great campaign but hadn't realised he was a ' champion horseman'
crazy.gif

Kal

Visit site
''Champion Horsemen'' is going a bit too far isn't it. He use to compete at West Wilts a lot against my sister in foxhunters, etc. and i don't think he beat my sister once.

He also slated the british showjumping team because they wouldn't consider him for the olympics (the fact that he had only been jumping foxhunter height didn't occur to him) so he said that he would jump for barbados instead, but that didn't happen.

Now i know it's a good achivement if your the first at something in any sport and thats great but what gets me is that he was bulled up as some kind of legend when he was at the same level as all of us.

kerilli

Visit site
oh dear, I competed against him at Newcomers level and he didn't look safe or competent doing that! He was on a lovely schoolmistress and she had the patience of a saint with him. All that mouthyness about getting on the British Team for the next Olympics... even if he'd had a horse as good as Shutterfly, he wouldn't!
Well, I suppose it's for a good cause now, but he really wasn't ever much cop as a rider, I cannot understand how he still gets a bit of fame!

Puppy

Visit site
Is a DM article of absolute drivel really worth posting under the pretense of news........
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

SJFAN

Visit site
He was not a champion (or even competent) rider, but he could be considered a champion self-publicist. Even had his autobiography published!

katelarge

Visit site
Give him a break - this is just a paper talking to a very non-horsey audience who need a handy label for him. And "Champion horseman" is a lot snappier than "guy who showjumps to quite a respectable level". Remember, the article has to establish his credibility immediately with a totally non-equine reader who would probably regard most people jumping over 1m10 as champions!

A very good cause, I think.

SJFAN

Visit site
Of course it's a good cause, so full marks to him for that. But the fact remains that he had no success jumping at even "quite respectable level". The tabloids and some TV programmes played the game when for a short while in the 1990s he became "a personality" and if by any chance he made it seem possible for non-white kids to take up riding than it served some purpose.

joe_carby

Visit site
i dont agree with the campaign and agree with puppy and i have family who are coloured /black how ever you want to put it to be PC

miss_bird

Visit site
Would you give the man a break, so he was not very good at show jumping but he had his 5 minutes of fame, and he is now putting it to back a very good cause.
Who cares what the headline says about him, it got to the front page of a newspaper and highlighted the main reason behind it.
Can somepeople not look beyond a headline and see what good there is hidden in there as well.

ronansmum

Visit site
What's wrong with the campaign?
confused.gif

I am sure most of us would hate the BNP to do well...and if you have coloured family even more so...
confused.gif

I remember Oliver Skeet, he was ok, he didn't do anyone any harm that I remember, too many riders are downright snobby and catty...we can't all be good and we can't all afford brilliant horses, if he sold the family car to give himself a chance, good luck to him!!
cool.gif

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with the campaign?
confused.gif

I am sure most of us would hate the BNP to do well...and if you have coloured family even more so...
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Baaaa...
Another article from that paper
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/05/19/face-of-hate-115875-21370856/
Do any of us want a "party" that endorses this sort of behaviour getting so much as a sniff of power?
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I remember Oliver Skeet, he was ok, he didn't do anyone any harm that I remember, too many riders are downright snobby and catty...we can't all be good and we can't all afford brilliant horses, if he sold the family car to give himself a chance, good luck to him!!
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats pretty much how I would sum him up too.
Point is,it doesnt matter how much he did or diddnt win-he is a "name" and is putting that name to good use.
If any rider(with the exception Zara Phillips) put their name to this would it have made the press?

SJFAN

Visit site
I don't think he can be called "a name" these days, but perhaps he has featured in the tabloids more recently than I'm aware of.

jennystreek

Visit site
imo, he's a guy who wants fame and probably still has an agent that is trying to get him into the spotlight..

He probably does feel strongly about the campaign, and that's great, but to be honest, it could have been an article about anything..

I cant believe that people still refer to him as a show jumper!! Thought he would've been forgotten by now...

alwaysbroke

Visit site
QR Ok Oliver may not have been a champion rider, but hopefully he is doing some good now.

My OH is yes, I will say it a big black guy who rides for a living and has done all his working life. He has found it difficult "being different" many people are astounded that a black man rides for a living.

RLF

Visit site
LOL at some of the comments on here.

He wasn't the best rider in the world but neither is Katy Price and people don't seem to mind her using her 'fame' to sell her equestrian range.

At least Oliver his using his 'fame' to support a worthy cause and not for his own financial gain. Good on him.

Oh and one more point he's Black not coloured.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

nic85

Visit site
Haha! I remember him in Horse&Pony magazine, we are talking a fair few years back now, I always used to wonder how he manged to get his dreadlocks under his hat!

And for what its worth,who cares about his ridng ability, he was always smiling.....proabbly still is!

Robyn0288

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
LOL at some of the comments on here.

He wasn't the best rider in the world but neither is Katy Price and people don't seem to mind her using her 'fame' to sell her equestrian range.

At least Oliver his using his 'fame' to support a worthy cause and not for his own financial gain. Good on him.

Oh and one more point he's Black not coloured.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100%!

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Dear Puppy......if you see this as drivel then why did you participate in reading it?

And even bother to make a post.

Just out of curiosity, does racism bother you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, although I have great confidence that any DM article IS very likely to be drivel,
smirk.gif
Obviously, I have to read/scan it to be in a position to objectively call it drivel.

Do I have a problem with racism? As in do I object to it?! Yes, yes I do. And partly hence my continuing objection to the DM
smirk.gif
wink.gif