Olympic Eventing - just to clarify a couple of things...

sar1

Visit site
Just wondering why as far as I can see there is no mention of Lucy W and Simon Porloe? If you compare her results with him with those of Zara and HK, Lucy's are better???

I do think Zara deserves her place on the team with HK, as do they all to some extent, but not convinced by the wisdom of leaving OB out in favour of MF who is an amazing horse but not back up to himself after his illness last year.

It has been suggested that WFP, MK and TC are on the team as it would be their last olympics. If this is true this is awful. That's a bit like saying my granny should be on the team so she gets a chance too lol!! I know that's a bit extreme, but they should be on the team from merit, not sentiment (which I appreciate WFP and MK are but poss not KC).

Mary has not been right at the top recently, but hopefully that's because she has been told to 'rest' the horses!

That said, I do think we have an amazing team, if not the one that we seem to all think should be it!

My team would have been WFP, MK, NW, LW and ?PiggyF if that run-out really was rider error, although surely olympic selected riders shouldn't be making those sorts of errors????

trick123

Visit site
The selection of Zara has had the desired effect-lots of press coverage!! Being a selector is no easy task having done it on a VERY small scale for Pony Club teams. You see things on a totally different perspective to those on the outside.
However i am deeply dissapointed Nicola wasn't selected, she hasn't done anything wrong, nor has Dodi. I wouldn't want to comment on the team members as they are as I think the proof will be in the pudding on the day, if it goes wrong we can all say 'told you so' or if they bring home gold we can be ecstatic and say how wonderful they all are!!

kerilli

Visit site
All this talk of the GB eventing team at the Olympics has clearly got right into my brain (already excited as I'm going to the cross country day!) So much so that I had a dream about it last night, i was actually in the team! YAY, much to lots of people's disgust, the team managed to get Gold and we ended up with a clean sweep of the individual medals too, gold - WFP, Silver - Mary king, Bronze - ME!!!!:eek::eek:

I tell you what, it was a dream that I didn't want to end!!!!

Ha, I love the fact that even in a very extreme dream your subconscious still couldn't have you beating WFP or Mary!

wizoz

Visit site
Sorry, just have to say it makes me laugh that people are suggesting WFP is on the team as it may be his last Olympics, really????? I would say that at this point in time, William is the Worlds No 1 Event rider, I dare you all to disagree :D

And for what it's worth, as much as I like Zara, I am going to stand up and say that she is mainly there for the media coverage, sorry Zara :confused:

I would have chosen Nicola and Buzz, most definitely.

Shoot me now :eek:

kerilli

Visit site
wizoz... WFP has very publicly said that he is/was considering retiring after the Olympics (or after this season), I think that's the only reason people are saying it'll be his last Olympics. Not because he's past it or wouldn't have the horses!
I'm hoping that because of the Grand Slam moving on to next year's Badders that'll at least make him keep going for 1 more season... at least!

wizoz

Visit site
K, yes I am fully aware that WFP has been saying this for years but at this moment in time, he would still be no1 selection choice. I think he will keep going for a couple more years yet, he has to, he keeps producing all these 4* horses :D

SpottedCat

Visit site

kerilli

Visit site
K, yes I am fully aware that WFP has been saying this for years but at this moment in time, he would still be no1 selection choice. I think he will keep going for a couple more years yet, he has to, he keeps producing all these 4* horses :D

Yes, of course he'd still be no1 selection choice... IF he still wants to do it! I agree, he's the best in the world at the moment, i can't think of another rider who produces horses all the way from scratch to winning 4*s, year in, year out, as well as taking over catch rides and doing brilliantly on them.
SC... interesting and not surprising tbh, I agree, I think the problem is perfectly illustrated there.

Does anyone else think that maybe all those in contention should have been asked to compete at the same few events, rather than some doing Houghton, some doing Bramham, etc? Very difficult to compare performances under different judges, over different courses, and on very different going...

SpottedCat

Visit site
Does anyone else think that maybe all those in contention should have been asked to compete at the same few events, rather than some doing Houghton, some doing Bramham, etc? Very difficult to compare performances under different judges, over different courses, and on very different going...

If we had a limited pool of people to pick from, they sure, maybe that'd be a good idea. But logistically how on earth would they do that for us?

wilde2

Visit site
Agree with kerilli, I was really surprised that some did not run at Bramham when that was final selection but they must have had good reasons for this obviously - I also wondered if they might wait until after Barbury. (isn't that what Ireland are doing?)
Would be interesting to know if the team would have been any different, had it been a normal season. Either way, we have a fantastic team - and really think they all deserve to do well - and don't envy the selectors decision. I have been playing "fantasy selection" for months now!! Sad that Oslo is off games, but thrilled for the Skinners.
Fingers crossed for Team GB - ridiculously excited already!

kerilli

Visit site
If we had a limited pool of people to pick from, they sure, maybe that'd be a good idea. But logistically how on earth would they do that for us?

But realistically, how many were really in contention? Honestly? Even taking multiple horses into account, I'd say 20 combinations maximum. It just seems weird that they did such wildly different things this spring... e.g. I could argue that if LC hadn't taken Rayef to Saumur, had waited and just done Bramham, on that run she'd prob be in the Team...

teapot

Visit site
The US are running all 10 shortlisted at Barbury and deciding afterwards - gives everyone a fair chance to run over here post flight & quarantine.

Wonder what the Aussies and NZ are doing?

Interesting re LC and Rayef - do you think they'd have been picked if the record was blemish free? Given that Team GB comes across as 5 riders who can cope under severe pressure (interestingly noted on more than one international horse related website). Whatever peoples' opinions are of the riders, the combined experience of Mary, William and Tina alone says something! Add in Zara and Piggy and you've just about covered all previous pressure related events going.

It's a home games, where they're out to get the illusive Olympic Gold or nothing on the back of winning WEG Gold and losing Euros Gold - now who would want that pressure on their backs? Is the pressure of riding at senior level in a team the same as riding for a YR or Junior team? Do YR and Juniors have a WEG/Olympic equivalent or is just Euros?

Last edited:

armchair_rider

Visit site
I thought compulsory runs as part of the selection process had been abandoned because the riders didn't think it was fair to force all horses through the same programme? Seem to recall seeing that in MK's autobiography.

I think the selection process must have been seriously compromised by the cancellation of Badminton, you'd have to think that results there would seriously have influenced who got picked - although WFP and MK would probably have been picked even if eliminated on both Badminton rides. If ZP and TC had done well at Badminton I doubt anyone would be complaining about them being picked, equally if NW had done a dressage in low 40s I think she probably would have been picked. Maybe Ruth Edge would have come into consideration given her dressage expertise, or Pippa Funnell who would probably be a good person to have in a contest that requires two rounds of SJing.

oldvic

Visit site
But realistically, how many were really in contention? Honestly? Even taking multiple horses into account, I'd say 20 combinations maximum. It just seems weird that they did such wildly different things this spring... e.g. I could argue that if LC hadn't taken Rayef to Saumur, had waited and just done Bramham, on that run she'd prob be in the Team...

I agree that there probably were not that many who were realistically in line for the team unless others fall out but I do think that Rayef had to prove himself over a CCI distance across country. With regard to comparing competitions, the selectors are a very experienced group including a top level judge and are aware of the differing standards of course. It is important that the riders use the tracks that suit their horses and fit with their programme best so they arrive in Greenwich confident and ready to perform to their optimum.

The US are running all 10 shortlisted at Barbury and deciding afterwards - gives everyone a fair chance to run over here post flight & quarantine.

Wonder what the Aussies and NZ are doing?

It's a home games, where they're out to get the illusive Olympic Gold or nothing on the back of winning WEG Gold and losing Euros Gold - now who would want that pressure on their backs? Is the pressure of riding at senior level in a team the same as riding for a YR or Junior team? Do YR and Juniors have a WEG/Olympic equivalent or is just Euros?

I assume any Aussie horses coming from down under will go straight to The Olympics although there is Aachen the week after Barbury. The British based horses are entered at Barbury unless they have others that I've forgotten about!
The Kiwis are going to Barbury except Nereo who goes to Aachen and Toddy's reserve horses.

I would agree that junior/young rider pressure is nothing compared to a senior team although the experience must help.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I think LC, despite being BEs golden girl, ruled herself out at the Europeans no matter what happened next. She needed to prove herself at senior level at a senior champs and didn't - no matter what you say about rayef being sore, he wasn't that bad or they wouldn't have even started him. If she'd done well at the Europeans then also done well this season she'd have been a serious contender. I think she'll be there at Rio if she has the horsepower.

kerilli

Visit site
i agree about the excuse... he looked absolutely fine at the Euros imho, till they just didn't get the distance right at all to that big corner.
but if they hadn't put a foot wrong this season, double clears all the way and the usual stunning dressages, i think they'd have been included.

IsabelleJ

Visit site
Yet it is acceptable to the Olympic committee for Thomas Cook as a "sponsor" to resell their ticket allocation as a so called wildly expensive package deal to include a hotel room for one night!

I know, I saw they had tickets for the SJ and was absolutely fuming! Going to the right people then :(

Isabelle

IsabelleJ

Visit site
As for people saying it could be the last Olympics for some of them - I sincerely hope not, love watching them all. I was so happy when Mark Todd came back (and hope he does really well!)

But, if you were to pick a last Olympics to contest, it couldn't really be a better choice than this one :)

Isabelle

CalllyH

Visit site
I just dont get if Zara was that great why is there all these articles having to really justify why shes there? You dont even have to bat an eye lid at why the others have been selected. really struggeling with this one. The girl better do us proud.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I just dont get if Zara was that great why is there all these articles having to really justify why shes there? You dont even have to bat an eye lid at why the others have been selected. really struggeling with this one. The girl better do us proud.

Because she is the only event rider anyone outside the horsey world has heard of, and because royals, even minor ones, sell papers?!

I think she's definitely there on merit, and the stories aren't 'justification' they are explanation to a public that if it thinks about horse riding at all, thinks about toffs in red jackets chasing foxes!

kerilli

Visit site
^^^ this. unfortunately a lot of people (some horsey people too) still seem to think it's all silver spoon stuff, that someone buys her amazing horses and plonks her on top to win pwizes... ha, really not. i think she does a really fantastic job, on some very tricky horses in the past. Toytown was amazing but he was also a proper hothead in the dressage at times, she worked miracles to coax the sort of performances out of him that she did. tbh her inclusion surprises me less than certain others (esp after her fomr at Bramham)... but it's the non-inclusion of NW and Buzz that surprised us most I think, and it looks as if Zara took their place, when in fact it isn't really quite like that...

popsdosh

Visit site
^^^ this. unfortunately a lot of people (some horsey people too) still seem to think it's all silver spoon stuff, that someone buys her amazing horses and plonks her on top to win pwizes... ha, really not. i think she does a really fantastic job, on some very tricky horses in the past. Toytown was amazing but he was also a proper hothead in the dressage at times, she worked miracles to coax the sort of performances out of him that she did. tbh her inclusion surprises me less than certain others (esp after her fomr at Bramham)... but it's the non-inclusion of NW and Buzz that surprised us most I think, and it looks as if Zara took their place, when in fact it isn't really quite like that...
I am with you on this one I think there is one popular member of the team who I dont think had justified their place on form but hey ho!
For all you knocking Zara and high Kingdoms inclusion please bear in mind they arguably have a better record than Lionhearts and nobody has questioned that.
I have said before that I feel sorry for NW and OB but I am sure that if not for the fact they may not be suited to Greenwich the selectors will have a good reason for their selections and it is what they have to do,they had to leave people out you cannot make everybody happy.

willtowin

Visit site
It's alright everyone, we'll either be thrilled that we're eating our hats when GB win gold, and if they don't we can all complain and say that we wanted Buzz in the first place and we knew best all along :D

CalllyH

Visit site
Your slowly convincing me it's the right decision, slowly but surely........willtowin you have got it in one but then that's the same for any sports just like we are all potential England football team managers at the moment :)