Olympics - who would you chose after Badminton?

teapot

Visit site
Another bump given the Bramham results are up. CIC3* was Gemma, Tina, Pippa and Kitty in 1st to 4th.

Definitely think Gemma and Tina have cemented their places somewhat now. Just the other two spots to fill from a variety of combinations, not forgetting that it's Luhmulen next weekend too.

Jo_x

Visit site
Definitely Gemma and Tina and I reckon Kitty is pretty solid for the third spot. Not sure on the fourth.

ihatework

Visit site
Also is there a reason the CIC is seen more as the olympic selection trial than the CCI?

They will be wanting to keep the horses fresher and not doing the CCI 2 months prior to Rio.

I reckon it might be an all female Rio team. I think Gemma, Tina, Kitty have sealed it for me so far. 4th spot is tight ....

Lexi_

Visit site
Also is there a reason the CIC is seen more as the olympic selection trial than the CCI?

I always assumed it was because all the main contenders have got strong 3/4* experience already, so they might as well run them over the shorter CIC course rather than the longer CCI.

Lexi_

Visit site
They will be wanting to keep the horses fresher and not doing the CCI 2 months prior to Rio.

I reckon it might be an all female Rio team. I think Gemma, Tina, Kitty have sealed it for me so far. 4th spot is tight ....

Gemma and Kitty would be definites for me. I have a nagging doubt about Tina and it's competely irrational because she couldn't be more experienced and she's in brilliant form! Nicola Wilson's had a patchy spring but One Too Many looked fantastic at Bramham but then so did Pippa's Billy horse. I'd hate to be a selector!

According to this week's H&H, they'll shortlist 12 on 20 June, then have team training and pick the team by 5 July. Anyone reckon they can correctly pick all 12?!

vallin

Visit site
Gemma and Kitty would be definites for me. I have a nagging doubt about Tina and it's competely irrational because she couldn't be more experienced and she's in brilliant form! Nicola Wilson's had a patchy spring but One Too Many looked fantastic at Bramham but then so did Pippa's Billy horse. I'd hate to be a selector!

According to this week's H&H, they'll shortlist 12 on 20 June, then have team training and pick the team by 5 July. Anyone reckon they can correctly pick all 12?!

Tina looked on incredible form yesterday at Bramham and I was amused by Alice Plukett/Fox-Pitt's comment re: Gemma, more or less saying if she's not on the list the selectors are barking ;)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Tina looked on incredible form yesterday at Bramham and I was amused by Alice Plukett/Fox-Pitt's comment re: Gemma, more or less saying if she's not on the list the selectors are barking ;)

I think I agree with Alice too.

I think Tina should be there too, but not sure which horse. I love Billy the Biz and Pippa. Even though I think she's fab, none of Nicola's horses are quite consistent enough for me, but then it never seemed to affect Zara's selection! What about William? I think he may get on. I think Yogi will not massively change things as its his last one.

I'd love to see Ollie up there. If he could get something show jumping consistently he'd be right up there. His dressage and xc are top of the game.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Is the shortlist of 12 riders or 12 horse-rider combinations? As a guess, the obvious choices are Gemma T, Tina C, Kitty K, then Pippa F, maybe Nicola W, WFT, Oli T and that still leaves five...

ihatework

Visit site
Is the shortlist of 12 riders or 12 horse-rider combinations? As a guess, the obvious choices are Gemma T, Tina C, Kitty K, then Pippa F, maybe Nicola W, WFT, Oli T and that still leaves five...

You've also got Izzy, Holly, Jodie (what happened to wise crack at Bramham did anyone see?). Let's face it Laura C will be on the list, possibly Zara

Lexi_

Visit site
You've also got Izzy, Holly, Jodie (what happened to wise crack at Bramham did anyone see?). Let's face it Laura C will be on the list, possibly Zara

I didn't see it but something came over the commentary about her getting eliminated in the showjumping in the ERM section - think his boots slipped and he skidded into a fence, she jumped off to fix them while the fence was being rebuilt and got eliminated.

vallin

Visit site
I didn't see it but something came over the commentary about her getting eliminated in the showjumping in the ERM section - think his boots slipped and he skidded into a fence, she jumped off to fix them while the fence was being rebuilt and got eliminated.

I think she got a leg up which counts as outside assistance and therefore elimination...

oldvic

Visit site
I think I agree with Alice too.

I think Tina should be there too, but not sure which horse. I love Billy the Biz and Pippa. Even though I think she's fab, none of Nicola's horses are quite consistent enough for me, but then it never seemed to affect Zara's selection! What about William? I think he may get on. I think Yogi will not massively change things as its his last one.

I'd love to see Ollie up there. If he could get something show jumping consistently he'd be right up there. His dressage and xc are top of the game.

It's down to the selectors, not Yogi.

teapot

Visit site
Who are the selectors? I always thought he was.

Nope, Yogi's performance manager/chef d'equipe. He can advise but not have a vote when it comes to actual selections. Think he might have a veto though. For 2016 it's Mandy Stibbe, Bridget Parker, Chris Hunnable and Jonathan Chapman.

There's a pdf on the BE website about it all.

teapot

Visit site
Just to bump this up for a bit of wider eventing news.

Firstly the 3* at Luhmulen is being led by Sandra A & Opgun Louvo on 32.7; Ingrid is 3rd on HW Bob on 36.6. Ollie T scored 47.6 and 52.0 and Sarah B 46.9 in the 4*.

Secondly, on this page if you download the spectator's guide, you'll see a rough course map! 33 numbered fences so even more jumping efforts. https://www.rio2016.com/en/equestrian

Last edited:

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Thanks teapot! I really must be going senile, I'd seen on facebook (a couple of days ago) a video of the course at Luhmuhlen, then totally forgotten the event was on this weekend!

Suziq77

Visit site
Where is the long list? I have been refreshing the BE website ALL day (when I remembered between work crisis after crisis), I am assuming that as Yogi hasn't called I didn't make the cut this year but I would like to know who did.....