OMG Clayton Fredericks Burghley XC

Mongoose11

Visit site
Dragon22 you missed the bit where I was informed thay only had one child. I assumed that the child was Clayton's as it was sitting on his knee - easy mistake to make!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
We can have our opinions, but stating these as facts are not fair and neither is making insinuations against someone who can't reply. Or being suggestive when it could impact other innocent parties.

So I am going back to watch some of the truly brilliant riding that is on show and wish again I had been there...!

What did you expect? This is HHO! :D

HBM1

Visit site
I haven't watched Clayton's as I don't want to hear the horse whinny..wimp I know - but I have to say I watched Sam Penn's and loved her reaction, if ever I wanted an eventer I would want someone like her riding him. I hope she was ok too as she seemed to vanish once she knew he was ok. Thank god he was too that seems a horrible fence to take off on the rise like that to such an enormous fence...doesn't seem fair.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I have just watched Claytons, Sam's and Will's falls and I have to say that Will's made me cry. I do think that some of you are being hard on Clayton, jeez he hit that floor at great speed, in fact when he first sits up he wobbles, like he is going to pass out. He looked totally disorientated and as soon as he could see past the brush he did in my opinion check his horse, I don't think that he looks like he didn't care at all.

sonjafoers

Visit site
Someone in CR has said they saw Clayton hacking back after his round & the horse looked fine. Surely he wouldn't hack back after falling like that would he?

Are there rules about getting back on even if it's not on course?

Mongoose11

Visit site
Karibati - now I'm grumpy again. Son or not if a child of that age who was in my company said something so rude so loudly I would have told them not to be unkind and not to be so loud. I thought it was a poor show from the adult who was supervising said child.

DressageCob

Visit site
I don't think you can really compare a standard fall to a fall like that. Even if you had a more serious injury, you can't compare a fall on a 2'3 sj course to a fall like that, where you're going great, nearing the finish and next thing you're sat at one side of the ditch and your horse is at the other.

I'd like to think that I would immediately check on my horse. But part of me would be afraid of what I'd see.

That video of Sam made me blub a little!

HihoGinger

Visit site
Someone in CR has said they saw Clayton hacking back after his round & the horse looked fine. Surely he wouldn't hack back after falling like that would he?

Are there rules about getting back on even if it's not on course?

That was me. Definitely him. He was walking back with a steward alongside him between the arena and fence 32.

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
Karibati - now I'm grumpy again. Son or not if a child of that age who was in my company said something so rude so loudly I would have told them not to be unkind and not to be so loud. I thought it was a poor show from the adult who was supervising said child.

My point was you saying it was HIS SON and you didnt have the facts correct.......Oh yes you made a mistake human error...it happens!!!!!

sonjafoers

Visit site
Hi alliersv1 I took hacking to mean that he was on board or was he walking back on foot?

So glad the horse was ok, it looked an awful fall.

Visit site
I've hit the ground at high speed from a great height and I can safely say that I couldn't tell you who I was, where I was, what I was doing on the floor and why I was wearing such ridiculous garb for a good 5-10mins after hitting the deck.

He is human, he can break too you know.

Tiffany

Visit site
The sound when Clayton and Sam's horses crashed into that fence made me jump. I'm sure horses and riders would have been shocked and or winded with the impact. Clayton did pat his horse when steward brought him round from fence and Sam shouted for her boy as soon as she got up.

Hopefully horses and riders not too sore tomorrow.

katie_southwest

Visit site
I'm just wondering if they'll edit the "******* sake" out after he fell!!!
Pretty sure I'd be saying something similar! Hope everyone and horses are ok after all the falls , horrible to watch :(

HihoGinger

Visit site
Hi alliersv1 I took hacking to mean that he was on board or was he walking back on foot?

So glad the horse was ok, it looked an awful fall.

He was riding. I actually did a double take as was surprised to see him obviously retired. We'd been in the marquee next to the track as my mate was having a go on the xc simulator, so we didn't hear that he'd fallen. I just assumed he'd retired for some other reason.

rhino

Visit site
I've hit the ground at high speed from a great height and I can safely say that I couldn't tell you who I was, where I was, what I was doing on the floor and why I was wearing such ridiculous garb for a good 5-10mins after hitting the deck.

He is human, he can break too you know.

Only 5-10 mins :D I carried on a cross country ride for an hour and a half after falling (horse fall), have absolutely no recollection of it whatsoever and supposedly was jumping everything in sight. Spent the next week fairly poorly with concussion :rolleyes: and my hat had split nearly in two!

Have also been involved in an RTA in which a car was written off. Got horse back to yard and then have no memory of what happened after that for a wee while.

My horse means more to me than anything, but going by certain people on here I must be a heartless cow :rolleyes:

sonjafoers

Visit site
I am one who was upset by his reaction - or non reaction to the horse. We all have our own opinion and none of us really know the true situation, but he does swear and look annoyed & frustrated by the fall which I can totally understand.

However would any of us get back on our horse after it had just suffered a fall like that? To me that smacks more than anything of not caring and whilst I understand these horses aren't their pets and they are tools of the trade I still stand by the fact that the whole episode hasn't put him in a good light.

If he was truly in shock would the stewards allow him to remount??

JustKickOn

Visit site
I was there and saw what happened. The fall in itself isn't dissimilar to what happened with Sam Penn at the same fence.
To me he looked very much in shock, Clayton hit the ground hard and with what has happened recently with his falls, and taking into consideration the fence and the added depth of the ditch, I think he was a little dubious to look to see what had happened to his horse. Think both horse and rider were very winded and shocked. The horse did look tired though on the approach to the fence and the one before.

kerilli

Visit site
I was standing there too, about 20' from the fence. Could see the problem coming a mile off, since the horse dropped right behind his leg, and Clayton did all he could to galvanise the horse into making the requisite effort. I think he was very shocked and, possibly, winded, and his airjacket didn't go off (people around me noticed and commented on it, I hadn't noticed. In fact a few people said it was clipped to itself, not the saddle, I didn't see though).
It looked to me as if he really didn't dare look at first, there was a fearsome crack when the horse's neck hit the front of the fence, I think that wooden rail cracked.
The horse was swiftly attended to by the stewards. I'm slightly surprised that he rode the horse back BUT we don't know how bad he was feeling, a few miles to walk may have felt like a very long way. Let's not forget he fractured his liver in his fall earlier in the year, a v nasty injury. Maybe they should have insisted he went back by vehicle?
I bet that horse has a hell of a haematoma tonight, really hope they are both okay. Ditto Sam Penn's horse. I've gone right off that fence, always been utterly terrified of it, but usually riders and horses get away with things there (i've seen some missers that still resulted in jumping it fine, somehow!) not this year for some reason. :( :( :(

Queenbee

Visit site
Was he is shock?

That could explain his behaviour.....

I wondered if he was worried about what he might see. You can hear how hard he hit the fence.
But, the concern should have taken priority and he certainly didn't give anyone a good impression of himself today.

I've come off and had a bleed on the brain, and next time a broken back, each time I was looking and asking after my horse as soon as I could focus/speak.

Only 5-10 mins :D I carried on a cross country ride for an hour and a half after falling (horse fall), have absolutely no recollection of it whatsoever and supposedly was jumping everything in sight. Spent the next week fairly poorly with concussion :rolleyes: and my hat had split nearly in two!

Have also been involved in an RTA in which a car was written off. Got horse back to yard and then have no memory of what happened after that for a wee while.

My horse means more to me than anything, but going by certain people on here I must be a heartless cow :rolleyes:

To be honest, Ive had a number of pretty bad falls, nowhere near as bad as Mrs M, or Rhino, but I have to say, I know what its like to be in shock post fall, and yes, we can all react differently, but thankfully every single time I have had a bad knock, I am up as soon as is possible and chasing after my horse, the only time that I haven't is when I badly winded myself and thought Id broken my back... took me a few minutes to work out I could wiggle my toes and I was indeed... fine, plus I bailed out of the saddle on this occasion and ebony always used to stop next to me (well trained she was;):p) Other than that, I have always been up and fretting over my horse. I think though, it is pretty hard to speculate that, because that is how I behave when Im in shock, it should be how another person behaves... in a perfect world yes, well no actually in a perfect world... accidents wouldn't happen.

Rhino, that explains a lot, can clearly see why you are so bonkers now m'dear:D

rhino

Visit site
Rhino, that explains a lot, can clearly see why you are so bonkers now m'dear:D

:p

Kerrilli - do you think it's only a matter of time before all horses who fall have to be transported off course in an ambulance? I've seen it happen a few times this season with horses that weren't seriously injured at all.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I was standing there too, about 20' from the fence. Could see the problem coming a mile off, since the horse dropped right behind his leg, and Clayton did all he could to galvanise the horse into making the requisite effort. I think he was very shocked and, possibly, winded, and his airjacket didn't go off (people around me noticed and commented on it, I hadn't noticed. In fact a few people said it was clipped to itself, not the saddle, I didn't see though).
It looked to me as if he really didn't dare look at first, there was a fearsome crack when the horse's neck hit the front of the fence, I think that wooden rail cracked.
The horse was swiftly attended to by the stewards. I'm slightly surprised that he rode the horse back BUT we don't know how bad he was feeling, a few miles to walk may have felt like a very long way. Let's not forget he fractured his liver in his fall earlier in the year, a v nasty injury. Maybe they should have insisted he went back by vehicle?
I bet that horse has a hell of a haematoma tonight, really hope they are both okay. Ditto Sam Penn's horse. I've gone right off that fence, always been utterly terrified of it, but usually riders and horses get away with things there (i've seen some missers that still resulted in jumping it fine, somehow!) not this year for some reason. :( :( :(

I was standing on the landing side of this fence, and felt sick when I heard that crack of the fence. People around me were welling up with tears imagining the worst. I couldn't see what was going on prior to take off but have watched the video since. I don't think he was that badly behaved in the aftermath.
I thought they weren't allowed to get back on either, but since we saw Will Faudree's horse fall when it was clearly very tired at the steps before the Cottesmore Leap, it was examined by the vet then he got back on and rode home. Which is pretty awful IMO.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Regardless of the level of compassion shown or not shown, can someone please explain to me why a world class rider is seen to be pressing a clearly exhausted horse into one of the biggest fences on the course ?

I know little about horses but to my uneducated eye, the Fredericks horse and the horse that took a terrible fall at the steps were both very near the end of the petrol tank when they fell.

Surely to compete at this level the rider should have the ability to know when to stop the horse. Horseware Bushman's round was not pleasant to watch either.