On and back

Cragrat

Visit site
So this is a strange question I know.... can anyone recommend a good book/author to go to, to research the 'on and back' training technique? I can do it - slow the horse down within his gait, speed him up again, using my seat only, but I'm sure there's so much to it- I'd love to read more but not sure where to look. Google hasn't helped me this time :)

McGrools

Visit site
Hi, i’m not being too specific with the on and back but the best book i’ve ever read with regards to all round equitation is Christoff Hess’ ride better’
It is a brilliant book. Highly recommend x

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
in what sense are you feeling there is more to know, OP?
I mean in one way, what you've described is one of the simplest exercises there is in flatwork to improve engagement and reactions so i'm not sure it would fill a book by itself... you'd expect it to feature in a general flatwork training type manual.

Cragrat

Visit site
Thank you MG - I'll look that up :)
MP - I wasn't expecting a whole book dedicated just to on and back :) but I was wondering if someone had written a chapter/essay on it. Perhaps about training techniques/aims and uses of the exercise/how to perfect and or extend it?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not sure if they have anything specific but I quite enjoy reading the stuff on www.ArtisticDressage.com
some of it is quite... thinky, some of it is very much about feel, they have done some short eBooks which might appeal. the blog may give you a feel to see if it's the sort of thing that may interest you. there are pretty active FB pages/groups too.