on lead, off lead, what to do

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i must make sure, as an older person, to take a bodyguard with me whenever i leave the house with my dogs. yes i am aware of dog thefts and my dogs are close to me all of the time i just happen to prefer them off lead..... for a new poster there is a lot of vitriol and anger which is not necessary to make a point. i think its better if i ignore those posts as they do nothing to make this a pleasant thread to read..

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our dogs know the difference between walking on a road, where you do not stop to sniff and walking where you are allowed to sniff, whether on a lead or not. The Labs, whose recall is excellent and I doubt would frighten anybody, are allowed off lead in suitable places. The Rottweiler, who has a very high prey drive and lives in sheep country, has a long line to go through the woods but is off lead in designated secure fields.

ETA, they all get plenty of playing out time on our own dog-proof land.

BBP

Visit site
Mine is always on lead, but on suitable footpaths it’s a 20m long line so he gets plenty of down time to sniff, run, do whatever. Plus I run along with him so he isn’t restricted to boring human walk speed, and we can go further in the same time. So I don’t really feel he misses out on much that an off lead dog can enjoy (other than ferreting about in bushes as I get tangled up). In reality I would love for him to be off lead, but I haven’t cracked some of his impulses so I think it’s more responsible for me to use a long line. I definitely don’t want him running up to someone else’s dog and starting something. He gets off lead time in enclosed fields, and I am investing in fencing my horse fields so that he can do this more often. Hopefully he has a good life as much as I can manage.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Mine is always on lead, but on suitable footpaths it’s a 20m long line so he gets plenty of down time to sniff, run, do whatever. Plus I run along with him so he isn’t restricted to boring human walk speed, and we can go further in the same time. So I don’t really feel he misses out on much that an off lead dog can enjoy (other than ferreting about in bushes as I get tangled up). In reality I would love for him to be off lead, but I haven’t cracked some of his impulses so I think it’s more responsible for me to use a long line. I definitely don’t want him running up to someone else’s dog and starting something. He gets off lead time in enclosed fields, and I am investing in fencing my horse fields so that he can do this more often. Hopefully he has a good life as much as I can manage.

we all do the best we can for our dogs, if i was a lot younger i would be happy to do the same as you but i cannot run any more so mine would be very restricted if i didnt let them off lead.. i only have them off in areas where i can see a long way ahead so i can be aware of who is coming towards me ,

BBP

Visit site
we all do the best we can for our dogs, if i was a lot younger i would be happy to do the same as you but i cannot run any more so mine would be very restricted if i didnt let them off lead.. i only have them off in areas where i can see a long way ahead so i can be aware of who is coming towards me ,
Sorry yes, i wasn’t criticising you, just as you say, trying to do the best I can given he isn’t a responsible enough adult enough to be allowed off lead.

paisley

Visit site
Whippet is on a lead if I feel the environment is encouraging his enthusiasm for self harm and/or high speed pursuit of agricultural things.
We also sanctimoniously judge other dog walkers (several points for the fully extended flexi lead, on the phone, any sort of oversized harness, naff dog coats etc), and assess the dogs behaviour and body langauge (smugly, as we are 11 years experienced in dog stuff now).
He goes on the lead (after our pompous assesment) if I feel its better for him at his age not to be shoved about/mugged by another dog that is allowed to do whatever it wants.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
BBP, i didnt read your post as criticising was just saying why that wouldnt be an option for me now . i think its a good way to manage a young dog if you are young and fit.....there have been a few posts telling me i am wrong to let mine off lead and getting quite forceful about it, your post was nice and gentle and the sort of post i like

fankino04

Visit site
As a dog walker I do different things depending on the dog I'm walking, the gsd that loves to play with anything and everything and has no manners stays on the lead as she will rush up to anything she sees and get right in their face and has no recall when she locks onto another dog ( her owners let her run around like this so wouldn't be an easy fix and not one I'm paid enough to do lol) the lab x is perfect and won't approach any people or dogs regardless of what they are doing so is off lead all the time unless by a road, the pure lab is extra bouncy and friendly but has fantastic recall and will walk past anything if she is called to heal and kept focussed on you so can stay off lead when not near roads but isn't allowed too far away if dogs are approaching as she will rush off to say hi before I get her back, mine isn't interested in others anymore but may approach for a quiet hello every now and then, if she was smaller I would put her on a lead around on lead dogs but leave her alone around off lead dogs but due to her size worrying so many others she goes back on the lead around all other dogs.

Annette4

Visit site
I agree I’m being a bit argumentative.
Anyway, with less passive aggressiveness, when you are walking in the middle of no where do you always keep all your dogs on leads? I’m genuinely interested. Do you let them sniff or is it a training exercise rather than downtime?
I know proper trainers don’t walk for entertainment

Mine are on lead 90% of the time but the walk is a mix of relaxed decompression sniffing and training. We've gone back a stage after an unexpected hare incident. I will never trust Dobby or Ginny enough to let them off unless I am certain there are no dogs or wildlife. They have too high of a prey drive, will approach any dog to play regardless if they are on or off lead and neither will back down if told to sod off. Luckily they have only had scuffles with a friends dog and it was handbags and they have been fine ever since but I wouldn't want to risk a strangers dogs. They do get weekly trips to a secure field for true freedom and when conditions allow they do sports.

They only get 'off lead' time on long lines and I continue to work exceptionally hard on their recall but I'm responsible enough to know they will likely never be able to go off lead.

Clodagh

Visit site
Mine are on lead 90% of the time but the walk is a mix of relaxed decompression sniffing and training. We've gone back a stage after an unexpected hare incident. I will never trust Dobby or Ginny enough to let them off unless I am certain there are no dogs or wildlife. They have too high of a prey drive, will approach any dog to play regardless if they are on or off lead and neither will back down if told to sod off. Luckily they have only had scuffles with a friends dog and it was handbags and they have been fine ever since but I wouldn't want to risk a strangers dogs. They do get weekly trips to a secure field for true freedom and when conditions allow they do sports.

They only get 'off lead' time on long lines and I continue to work exceptionally hard on their recall but I'm responsible enough to know they will likely never be able to go off lead.

My lurcher was very lucky we had our own land as I recognise your problem! Although she was perfect with other dogs and completely disinterested. Traveller camp upbringing has its benefits ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my lurcher was brilliant with other dogs and cats (was told off by yard cats when she was a puppy) but had a very high prey drive so i had to keep her on the lead a lot when walking round the fields. i started walking in my local park and found i could let her off lead as there were only a few squirrels who were very dog savvy and they just used to scold her from the trees and she ignored them..

skinnydipper

Visit site
Government advice, updated 13 January 2021.

"When walking your dog in areas used by other people, you should consider putting your dog on a lead to ensure you can stay 2 metres away from others."

I doubt the plonkers who need to come and retrieve their dog with its nose shoved up my dog's jacksie, or the little yappers dancing round her legs, will even bother to read the advice much less follow it.

Last edited:

Indy

Visit site
So you have had things 'happen' and you are 'aware' yet you still let your dogs run loose ! Clearly you can't be ' aware ' of all the dog thefts that are occurring on a regular basis, otherwise you would be keeping your little darlings close by your side firmly attached to you with leads, and someone accompanying you and carrying a weapon. I would have thought that a 6 month old puppy would be a prime target for dog thieves. An older lady on your own with your pooches running loose, have you got any idea how vulnerable you are for getting them stolen ? Dog owners have even been punched in the face in the street and their dogs stolen from them, houses and outbuildings are being broken into to steal dogs and litters of puppies, dog thefts are rife, more so since the start of the pandemic, very often offenders working in two's or three's with a vehicle close by. We know of someone who re posts on fb on average 2-3 dog thefts per day. God only knows what happens to the poor dogs, it just doesn't bear thinking about.
As for 'not stupid ' ......... debateable !!! Wise up, if only for your dogs sake.
If someone is going to steal her dog they're going to take it whether it's on a lead or off a lead.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Indy

Visit site
I saw this article earlier https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crim...r-claims-pets-going-missing-forge-dam-3088102

People walking around with a dog lead, ready to clip it onto a loose dog whose owner isn't taking enough notice by the sound of it.
And there was local to me a young chap walking his on lead dog down the road in Scawthorpe when he got punched and kicked to the ground and his dog taken. And thats not a solitary incident here, people getting mugged for their dogs is happening more often. On lead or off lead dogs are going missing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
And there was local to me a young chap walking his on lead dog down the road in Scawthorpe when he got punched and kicked to the ground and his dog taken. And thats not a solitary incident here, people getting mugged for their dogs is happening more often. On lead or off lead dogs are going missing.

Which is shocking but I would think it is much easier to pop a loose dog, whose owner is chatting to someone and not paying attention to the dog, which we all know happens,, on a lead and walk away with no interaction with witnesses, or anything obviously untoward going on.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Similar has happened several times in this area in the past couple of months. One chap in his late 70s was beaten to the ground and his elderly spaniel stolen, nothing else. Major alerts across local media with huge reward, and the dog was found wandering 20 odd miles away 2 days later. 3 others havent been so lucky!
Even my husband has commented that he is keeping his wits about him when walking P dog.

skinnydipper

Visit site

Clodagh

Visit site
I think dedicated thieves will get them either way. Mine don’t even wear collars, I’m so paranoid about theft.
I went for a long off piste today with the two young uns and they were on a lead for the two road stretches and when we met other people (two lots, no dogs) on the footpath. Apart from that they pottered along about 20m in front of me doing their own thing. A perfect compromise.

stevieg

Visit site
I have two terriers and they are rarely ON the lead. I don't think it's fair to them not to let them run loose each day. And before anybody says 'it's not fair to those dogs that are attacked either' I always put them back on the lead when I see a strange dog approaching, just out of courtesy, and I've not had a problem yet.

Indy

Visit site
Which is shocking but I would think it is much easier to pop a loose dog, whose owner is chatting to someone and not paying attention to the dog, which we all know happens,, on a lead and walk away with no interaction with witnesses, or anything obviously untoward going on.
But that's the thing, people just generally need to be more vigilant when they're out and about. I've just got in from a 7.5 mile walk and 7 of those miles my dog was off lead. I can honestly say that during that time I had my dog in view, he doesn't go one way, ends up 5 fields away, I go the other and we meet up somewhere at the end of the walk, we go for a walk together and I always have him in sight. If I had to keep Bandit on the lead for the whole of the walk I have to say I think we both would have a pretty miserable time. There are things I've started doing other than just looking around to try to be safe. I don't have my lead around my neck any more I carry it with the clip end dangling so I can use it to defend myself, I carry a walking stick and I always have my phone in my pocket. Bandit normally does a fair bit of formal training, he does a social skills classes, man trailing and agility but his walk is where we enjoys free time together. He goes for a paddle if he wants, we play find the stick, stuff we couldn't do if it became law that dogs had to be on a lead. It feels like responsible owners and well behaved dogs are being penalised because of a minority of rubbish owners.

BallyJ

Visit site
Just throwing my opinion out there - Lab always off lead, walks to heel and leaves other dogs so doesn't require one. We carry one for road work if needed.
JRT on lead always in public as hasn't got recall away from strange dogs but if off 100%of the time on our private land as other people shouldn't be on there. As for the theft side of things i feel they're safer off as neither are stranger friendly so won't approach people that aren't recognized, whereas taking a lead out of 8 1/2st girls hand is considerably easier!

SAujla

Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55704418

It sounds like a high percentage of the lockdown puppies that aren't being put up for being rehomed are not being properly trained/controlled. I wonder if some people aren't even aware they have to train a recall and just assume the dogs will be fine off leash. My pup has good recall and always comes back on her own accord if I'm more than 20 metres or so away but even with that I don't let her off leash if anyone else is about whether they have a dog or not

skinnydipper

Visit site
It sounds like a high percentage of the lockdown puppies that aren't being put up for being rehomed are not being properly trained/controlled. I wonder if some people aren't even aware they have to train a recall and just assume the dogs will be fine off leash.

Unfortunately, SA, poorly controlled dogs have always been a problem and often the owners are blissfully unaware that their dog is a pain in the ar$e.

My mastiff is sociable and very tolerant but even she gets p1ssed off by ill mannered dogs.

And, while I am having a moan, I do not appreciate dogs climbing my legs - it isn't cute.