Opening Meet - disapointment :-(

abina

Visit site
Having spent Wednesday clipping and trimming the horses due to go out hunting Saturday and with it being the Opening meet firmly in my mind ( this equates to Christmas ! ) spent all day yesterday , bathing, final trimming, major tack clean , brass buckles all polished, best saddle cloths installed under clean and fab saddles, Manes all plaited up in the most amazing row of plaits, tails dampened down and ready for plaiting early Sat am. Coats collected from Dry Cleaners, Boots polished, hip flasks filled every detail thought of. Early start Sat, check plaits, re shampoo white legs, wipe off poo stains and plait tails - load up car , organise riders and get to the meet in plenty of time ....... have to tie / re tie seven stocks of other hunters , unload my gleaming beasties mount up riders, get the baby wipes out to clean the last of the 'Travel' stains off and join the field ......ONLY to see at least 20% of the field not plaited ( surely they can't all be farmers ! ) several horses with unwashed tails, terrible plaits in some, very dirty un white , white bits, shoddy looking grubby tack, even one horse with burrs in his tail and mud still on his hocks ..... just left me disappointed and wonderng why the hell didi I bother !!

Simsar

Visit site
But its OK because they all had Dressage boots, fluff and Nylon showjumping Jackets to go with their poorly turned out horses!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet you looked the B******k's though bloody good for you, it makes you cringe doesn't it, to see this crap turnout. Times a changing or not KEEP TRADITION!

Millyard Rejects

Visit site
Grrrrr it annoys me-you have horse to go hunting with, a box or trailer to get you and said horse there and then they show up quite literally as though theyve just been dragged out of the field!:mad:

At least Abina you did turn your horse and yourself out as should be. It shows respect for the occaision and to the rest of the field. And it shows to others that if you bother with the little things(poo stains, shavings in tails etc) then you will bother with the bigger things ie. your horse will stand when it should, will not kick hounds and will be a credit to you!:)

skewby

Visit site
Were the unplaited ones in tweed? Absolutely no excuse for the dirty hocks and burrs in tail etc. though. I totally understand how you felt! Although I think you should be extremely proud of your turnout and also not drop your standards one bit. I have a grass kept horse with a ton of white on him, even when I worked a 72 hour week he was always immaculate, as was I and our tack. Although often it meant about 3 hours sleep for me I didn't care, adrenaline rides you through!

As others have said, let's not drop our standards, it's half the fun for me making us look our absolute best and having the manners to go with it. I would hate it if it descended into bomber jackets and dirt, it's not what it's about, how horribly disrespectful :(

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Now I'm not a turnout fanatic but there is a line! Burrs? Seriously? I sympathise with bad plaits as I am appalling myself, and sometimes circumstances conspire against me having enough time to do it properly, but there is no excuse for burrs and mud before you've even started! It's just disrespectful. Clean horse, tack and rider is paramount.

guccigivi2001

Visit site
blimey, bet you looked like a right pair of stunners! i myself happen to be a culprit of bad plaits as my plaiting is shocking, and also aain the sj jacket as have yet to come across spare money with which to purchase my self a nice warm hunting jacket! at least you can be proud that you guys probably looked the best there and put the mpst effort in!

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
Abina you have my complete sympathy and support.

I don't want to appear sanctimonious but I know I will be accused of same in what I say.

However as many will know, I have been banging on about standards, etiquette, correct form off dress and turnout for a couple of weeks.

To say the least I have received 'lashings' from various quarters as a result. Indeed a serious whipping from one or two 'ladies'.

However, this is exactly what happens if standards are allowed to slip.

I have drawn the conclusion that you have new masters who are Johnny or Jill come latelies, possibly with newly acquired money? Do please PM with the name of the hunt?

East Kent I noted your comment and I feel you should take all the posts with greater consideration, instead of having a crack at me?

Folk have gone to a great deal of trouble, time costs and expense in their turnout, only to find a number of the field are inadequate parocials!

Shay

Visit site
Turn out is important. Burrs and mud stains not acceptable. But do bear in mind the registered M&Ms traditionally don't plait and hogged horses may not have plaited tails. (Plus some show jumper types shave the sides of the tail and can't plait either.)

Content yourself with the fact that you made the effort. Believe me it will be noted. Like boxing day, opening meets tend to be attended by many who will not hunt again all season. If they are regulars leave it to the hunt staff and supports to deal with. They will.

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
Turn out is important. Burrs and mud stains not acceptable. But do bear in mind the registered M&Ms traditionally don't plait and hogged horses may not have plaited tails. (Plus some show jumper types shave the sides of the tail and can't plait either.)

Content yourself with the fact that you made the effort. Believe me it will be noted. Like boxing day, opening meets tend to be attended by many who will not hunt again all season. If they are regulars leave it to the hunt staff and supports to deal with. They will.

Those not up to standard should be spoken to or e-mailed or written to and given a lecture on turnout and told if they can't manage to come up to the required standard not to bother to come out.

No, I don't want to hear any claptrap about hunt's welcoming all comers, however they are turned out.

There is only one way, the correct way to the prescribed standards.

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
It annoys me bigstyle, it doesn't cost anything to be clean and tidy, yes i dont mind people hunting in showjumping jackets/dressage boots as long as they are not a hideous colour.(and clean!!)
Just disrespectful and bad manners!!!
Just think how scruffy they are at home if they come hunting covered in mud!!!!!!!!!!

EAST KENT

Visit site
Abina you have my complete sympathy and support.

I don't want to appear sanctimonious but I know I will be accused of same in what I say.

However as many will know, I have been banging on about standards, etiquette, correct form off dress and turnout for a couple of weeks.

To say the least I have received 'lashings' from various quarters as a result. Indeed a serious whipping from one or two 'ladies'.

However, this is exactly what happens if standards are allowed to slip.

I have drawn the conclusion that you have new masters who are Johnny or Jill come latelies, possibly with newly acquired money? Do please PM with the name of the hunt?

East Kent I noted your comment and I feel you should take all the posts with greater consideration, instead of having a crack at me?

Folk have gone to a great deal of trouble, time costs and expense in their turnout, only to find a number of the field are inadequate parocials!

It was meant as a joke JM ..your sense of humour is sadly lacking these days,if indeed you ever had one ,:D:D:D:D

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Just a question, I am very good at plaiting with thread or bands, however my horses live out and I have no stables. Although for this reason I am not hunting this winter I would consider going hunting without plaiting, as long as the horse is clean and the mane is pulled so looks presentable. would this be ok or would I still get looks of outrage?

I would also have clean tack and be presentable myself

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'm sure you would be made very welcome. Nobody can complain as long as you and the horse are turned out as cleanly and tidily as is possible to a decent standard as a mark of respect to your host and the famers you will ride over.

As to Inky & Sunny's - "And riders wonder why the rest of the population think we are pompous twits!" words almost fail me.
Cleanliness and tidiness cost nothing bar a bit of time and effort. If that's too much for you to manage, or anyone else to manage for that matter, then perhaps you're better staying at home. You wouldn't dream of entering a dressage or jumping competition as if you had been dragged out of the field so why should you be lazy because it's for hunting when you owe so such to the host and landowners anyway who do not charge you to have the right to go over their land?

Bojangles

Visit site
When I went to our first met we were just staying there untill they all went off as it was our first time out hunting and wanted to see how he would reactd with it all. I scrub Beau loads and plaiting him up cleand all my tack and my boots. I wouldnt dare go to a met like when we just hack out in the winter as I don't always get rid of all the mud,brush mane or tail etc, just the imporant parts!! I would want the ground to swallow me up if I liked a mess!! My friend who I went with did say why am Im plaiting as Im not going out in the field propley I said it's all inmporant doesnt matter that I didnt follow complety.

And for once it was a nice feely all being smart and Beau all plaited up!!

RuthnMeg

Visit site
I, too am all for clean tidy horse and rider... muddy hocks and burrs is a no no. However, I personally do not plait manes, simply for the fact thats its a nightmare plaiting Megs mane, and quite frankly makes no difference in our turn out, bad plaits or natural! I also like having a mane to hold on too!! I, do plait her tail up, have clean tack, jacket and boots and Iam always polite to others, no matter what comes back my way!!

Hope the opening meet was enjoyable for all those who went, and no-body hit the deck!

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
While I may have clashed with forumites over the correct shape of boots and whether spurs and full hunting kit should be worn by all members of the mounted field, there is no excuse for turning up mucky and au natural for the opening meet. A curry comb, plaiting bands and some neddy shampoo are of negligible cost in the grand scheme of keeping the horse.

abina

Visit site
Can I just say a Huge Thank-you for all your kind words and making me feel better after making an effort over my horses for the opening meet - I was feeling rather down about it as it did take up massive amounts of time - I had three hunters out that day they I got ready inbetween my work - I have a riding school - teaching , dealing with clients, sorting out my school horses and all the other stuff ! and it was very reassuring to hear from other that like to keep tradition and appearances up. Made it worth while after all !! and to top it all I didn't even get out to play - all horses were for other people - but I do like a nicely turned out horse..............even my school horses are always turned out for lessons immaculate, pulled manes and tails, hoof oiled feet and never a spot of mud otherwise I do lose it with the staff !!!

Thanks everyone ..... I can now rest easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol xx

Gingerbear

Visit site
Albina - I spent from 11am to 3 pm on Friday getting my husband's horse ready for the opening meet. As she is a white "grey" and has a mane and tail like barbed wire so had to be thoroughly washed, plaited with thread, pulled and then suitably rugged and suited and booted . I was drenched and shivering when I'd finished. I still spent time before the meet mopping up any stray poo marks so she looked snowy white. i just told my husband about your post and he said " the numbers are more important than what they look like, they may have come on a last minute whim". Shotgun please.

Mike007

Visit site
Dirty and unkempt is not acceptable,but plaiting, frankly is overrated. My understanding has long been that one plaits for a lawn meet,out of respect to the hosts,all other meets are optional.

3DE

Visit site
Dirty and unkempt is not acceptable,but plaiting, frankly is overrated. My understanding has long been that one plaits for a lawn meet,out of respect to the hosts,all other meets are optional.

I don't see the reason for the obligatory plaiting.... In C&T it is looked down on as a cheat TBH - it's easier to make a horse look good plaiting that actually doing the elbow grease work...

natalia

Visit site
Lawn meets are a must plait! We sadly have every meet as a lawn meet so 'fraid to say its every meet must plait! I went out once last season with an unplaited horse and although she was very smart in every other way, I really wouldn't think to do it again (my car had broken down on way to yard so I ran out of time to plait her). Try having 12 hirelings out anyway who must be immaculate and plaited! THAT'S HARD WORK!!! If we can manage this many in a morning then sure as hell those with one or two horses can manage to be clean and plaited up. Between 3/4 of us we can get 12 fully plaited, clean, tacked up and on the lorry by 9.30 am on a hunt morning if we get in at 7.30 am.

star

Visit site
Just a question, I am very good at plaiting with thread or bands, however my horses live out and I have no stables. Although for this reason I am not hunting this winter I would consider going hunting without plaiting, as long as the horse is clean and the mane is pulled so looks presentable. would this be ok or would I still get looks of outrage?

I would also have clean tack and be presentable myself

why does living out and no stables mean you cant plait? my horses all live out - never stopped me plaiting - i make sure they wear a neck cover the night before and plait up that morning. no-one's gonna send you home for not plaiting but i was just curious as to why living out means you cant plait?

KidnapMoss

Visit site
Im all for clean pony/clean tack etc but my pony is native and has a shoulder lengh mane and I wear a tweed coat because thats all I posess. Whilst I have had a good day out with a further away pack I was still made to feel like a peice of dirt on the end of a boot when I merrily went along to a meet locally, despite trying to turn out to the best of my ability. Everything was wrong apparantly from the mane to the poly pad. I lasted an hour and a half, hacked dejectedly home and have not been out since. Ironically the hunt crossed one of our fields whilst we were out but because no one registered I wasnt treated any differently! And people wonder why hunts are unwelcoming!! surely the point is to welcome everyone. I will try another hunt but not the closest to me any more. And im still not plaiting my pony's mane! :)

dalesslave

Visit site
i have a dales pony who sports a full and correct mane through summer until the last of my 2 local shows then i commence pulling a little at a time for nearly 2 months by the end of which i can plait it.
Yes it means getting up two hours earlier than i would and usually results in 20 plaits minimum and yes my time in bed on non working mornings is very precious to me as i get up at half four weekdays BUT i would feel rather selfish if i did not turn my pony out to the best of my abilities especially when other people also go to so much trouble.
i must thank Judgemental for the information you keep imparting i find it inspirational in my continued attempt at correct and respectful turn out. My next smart riding attire purchase will be a black or navy woolen hunt coat unfortunately it is tweed at the minute but i do open and close as many gates as possible luckily william is good at them as well as looking spunky when plaited
Oh forgot to mention he lives out all year to, well rugged and hunter clipped.