Opinions on a 3yo

JBM

Visit site
Ridden
Field time

she’s turned 3 on 22nd seems sweet just wondering what people think as I’ve never bought a horse this young

Attachments

• F47478E6-AE76-420C-98D3-F3DF25EBB249.jpg
    F47478E6-AE76-420C-98D3-F3DF25EBB249.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 236

Patterdale

Visit site
Ridden
Field time

she’s turned 3 on 22nd seems sweet just wondering what people think as I’ve never bought a horse this young

She looks very underdeveloped and fed up and is obviously too young to be ridden.
I would be very concerned about how much work she’s done. Also looks part trotter which I wouldn’t hold against her personally but they’re not everyone’s cup of tea if she is.

ponynutz

Visit site
Some questions I thought of:

1) Why does a 'just-backed' 3 year old need a grackle bridle?
1a) Why does a 'just-backed' 3 year old need a flash if she's just being walked around? (Can understand on a young 4 or 5 year old who's in real work and needs a reminder but not something that's just walking around).
2) Why does saddle need a saddle pad? Is it ill-fitting? Are her muscles able to grow correctly under a ill-fitting saddle if so?
3) If she IS being ridden more behind the scenes - why haven't they shown it? Racers are backed that early all the time... so it's not technically bad practice. Are they hiding something then?
3a) They seem to really be pushing the 'quiet horse' narrative especially by putting a child on the horse in the ad. I didn't notice what others have said but their thoughts also seems to fit that narrative
4) She's on ALL that grass with another pony who looks a bit chubby on spring grass and yet is underweight? (Could be a her thing but even if it is you might want to factor that into the costs of you keeping her if she's a poor doer)

Yes, some red flags but could always go and see with someone experienced with you... we've only seen as much as you, not the real thing at the end of the day.

She is cute and does SEEM like a good personality. Hence why I say go and see her. If there's no obvious signs she's been worked hard before the viewing or dehydrated before the viewing I'd be tempted to 'rescue' her to be honest...

Glitterandrainbows

Visit site

1a) Why does a 'just-backed' 3 year old need a flash if she's just being walked around? (Can understand on a young 4 or 5 year old who's in real work and needs a reminder but not something that's just walking around).
2) Why does saddle need a saddle pad? Is it ill-fitting? Are her muscles able to grow correctly under a ill-fitting saddle if so?
3) If she IS being ridden more behind the scenes - why haven't they shown it? Racers are backed that early all the time... so it's not technically bad practice. Are they hiding something then?
3a) They seem to really be pushing the 'quiet horse' narrative especially by putting a child on the horse in the ad. I didn't notice what others have said but their thoughts also seems to fit that narrative
4) She's on ALL that grass with another pony who looks a bit chubby on spring grass and yet is underweight? (Could be a her thing but even if it is you might want to factor that into the costs of you keeping her if she's a poor doer)

Yes, some red flags but could always go and see with someone experienced with you... we've only seen as much as you, not the real thing at the end of the day.
I literally thought the same things as you about the bridle x

JBM

Visit site
Well from what I’ve gathered talking to her it’s the saddle they use for the pony and mostly just used it to get the horse used to a saddle..but they also mentioned she’s been to the beach and on roads but couldn’t say if it was just once or twice.
I can ask about the bridle as it did strike me as weird my only thought would’ve been that it’s all she had?
Apparently still growing too
No recorded breeding and never had a trotter before but Don’t know much about Judys breeding either

JBM

Visit site
Would a vet be able to know if the horse was dehydrated? And would a vetting show over working or would X-rays be needed for that?

ponynutz

Visit site
Would a vet be able to know if the horse was dehydrated? And would a vetting show over working or would X-rays be needed for that?

Yes, a vet would be able to know. But you can do a 'pinch test' as well. If you pinch the skin on the neck and and it returns to normal slowly - she's dehydrated.

In terms of overworking it's a case of feeling around tack for sweaty areas and noticing if nostrils are flared, there's foam around the bit etc. All the things you'd notice on a horse at the end of a ride.

Chronic over work will show later unfortunately and while maybe X-Rays could tell that's very expensive for a horse you're not sure on...

Agree with @Patterdale what's the motive for wanting her?

Patterdale

Visit site
She will have ill fitting and inappropriate tack on due to the owners knowledge level and available equipment. I wouldn’t read too much into the tack.

She is 3, under weight, poor condition generally, and in the kid video the leader was wearing a body protector and had probably just been riding her for however long.
She will likely not be quiet at all once she’s got some condition and confidence.

JBM

Visit site
Well I was looking for a younger horse as I’m on a bit of a budget and prices are a bit all over the place at the moment.
So I was buying a horse with the intentions of leaving them off for the year while I finish last year of college and then starting light work.
I’m also a bit of a sucker for that colouring ?
But I’m also very aware of the fact that I don’t know much about buying horses as I’ve only bought the one and I loaned her first and she was 19 so only thing she came with was experience and sass!

ponynutz

Visit site
What's your budget OP? I've seen plenty cheap and cheapish project types lately if you want some links?

But if you really like the look of her take someone experienced with you! Your decision at the end of the day and you might be able to handle her... a bit of a difficult horse is still a project at the end of the day as long as you're not over-horsed (and be honest with yourself about this).

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you genuinely intend to turn her away for a year and can cope with what a very young horse might throw at you next year, then if she's no more than a couple of grand I think she's going to make someone a nice all rounder one day. Do get her vetted though, she's young and weak but it could be hiding more.

ETA I wrote that thinking of what it cost me to keep one at home for a year. If you are paying livery it won't make sense economically.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

They look like they've thrown tack on her that belongs to another horse

Why does saddle need a saddle pad? Is it ill-fitting? Are her muscles able to grow correctly under a ill-fitting saddle if so?

Looks like a bog standard saddle cloth with a faux fur trim? She's been sat on to get more money, I think, I doubt if any of the tack belongs to her or if she's done any real work.

stangs

Visit site
That ridden video isn’t a good ad at all: leader not wanting to be too close to horse, horse not moving forward, and I’m not sure why she swings her hind out but I don’t like it. Generally, I’m not a huge fan of the hind either from the photo, but maybe it’s the angle.

I wouldn’t do it, that’s for sure, especially if you don’t have experience with youngsters.

Patterdale

Visit site
Well I was looking for a younger horse as I’m on a bit of a budget and prices are a bit all over the place at the moment.
So I was buying a horse with the intentions of leaving them off for the year while I finish last year of college and then starting light work.
I’m also a bit of a sucker for that colouring ?
But I’m also very aware of the fact that I don’t know much about buying horses as I’ve only bought the one and I loaned her first and she was 19 so only thing she came with was experience and sass!

Ok. If I were your mother/friend/instructor I would tell you to spend the next year saving and riding friends horses, then buy what you really want after college, when prices should have dropped anyway.

There’s no point buying this horse on a budget with its many potential issues, just to pay to keep it for whole year. There will be other nice young coloured trotter types, and this one has a few too many red flags for me.

lannerch

Visit site

She is cute and does SEEM like a good personality. Hence why I say go and see her. If there's no obvious signs she's been worked hard before the viewing or dehydrated before the viewing I'd be tempted to 'rescue' her to be honest...
To be fair I think most being backed youngsters wear saddle pads, their shape changes all the time so it’s hard to get a saddle to fit exactly.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I guess this is the one you’re considering buying unseen. Seems sweet enough and you could hit the jackpot (and everyone loves a potential pity purchase). If you feel you have the experience and professional support she may be worth a punt for a couple of hundred quid.

JBM

Visit site
My max budget is 3000..but if the horse is far and I need to include travel costs it goes down as I have a horse box but only my dad can drive it and summer is busy for him
I have my own land so no livery costs
I have a spare bridle so only need a saddle and can get a new synthetic one for 149
And I estimate vetting to be around 100-500 but asking for quotes
I was looking at a few other horses too but this is the only one that was unbroken and under 4 so I wanted some opinions
All the advice has been super helpful unfortunately I’m the only one in my family that knows anything about horses and my instructor wouldn’t be able to come with me
Would prefer to stay around the 2000 mark
This is in euro or horses would need to be in ireland as I definitely can’t travel to England for one ?

PSD

Visit site
My max budget is 3000..but if the horse is far and I need to include travel costs it goes down as I have a horse box but only my dad can drive it and summer is busy for him
I have my own land so no livery costs
I have a spare bridle so only need a saddle and can get a new synthetic one for 149
And I estimate vetting to be around 100-500 but asking for quotes
I was looking at a few other horses too but this is the only one that was unbroken and under 4 so I wanted some opinions
All the advice has been super helpful unfortunately I’m the only one in my family that knows anything about horses and my instructor wouldn’t be able to come with me
Would prefer to stay around the 2000 mark
This is in euro or horses would need to be in ireland as I definitely can’t travel to England for one ?

Is she well under your budget? As you have your own land I’d say take a risk and see what she looks like in 12 months. She may be a little diamond in the rough, however you say you have little experience with youngsters and she’s a big girl so I wouldn’t recommend. What’s making you want to buy her?

JBM

Visit site
Is she well under your budget? As you have your own land I’d say take a risk and see what she looks like in 12 months. She may be a little diamond in the rough, however you say you have little experience with youngsters and she’s a big girl so I wouldn’t recommend. What’s making you want to buy her?
I’m not sure..I suppose have to start somewhere with younger horses but I’ve always been a bit of a dreamer but I always work ridiculously hard at something I’m interested in
I think I’ll let her go tho as she was asking 2700 with tack and rugs included I feel a little silly saying it ??‍♀️
its why I wanted to ask here as saying stuff outloud sometimes just makes you think more about what you’re saying