Opinions on ish?

horseluver4eva

Visit site
Theres a few irish sports horses for sale that im interested in i was just wondering what they are like and if anybody has any experiences with them?

3Beasties

Visit site
My ISH horse moves well, is a very good doer (cheap to keep!), very clever but has been quirky and difficult at times. She's still fairly new to me but so far has proven to be pretty scopey and I think she'll be a great all-rounder. On the ground she is lovely, well mannered and very kind :)

I'd definitely have another!

Capriole

Visit site
Depends on the horse, depends on it's breeding and where it gets it's character and temperament from, depends on a lot of things. I don't honestly think there is a one size fits all answer, especially since it's not a pure bred.

I've had ISH be brilliant and had an ISH that was a complete quirky b!tch and probably the 'worst' horse I've ever had. I've got ISH (and IDSH) now that are all chalk and cheese.

I keep going back for more, but I'm just saying...lot of variation in there. Have a look at the horse(s) you are interested and take them as individuals.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Theres a few irish sports horses for sale that im interested in i was just wondering what they are like and if anybody has any experiences with them?

Irish Sport Horses are VERY variable now as a lot of them are Warmbloods and WBx so depends very much on the individual breeding. The ISH used to be an Irish DraughtxTB - so was much more predictable in type.

If it's a UK-bred IDSH then that is an IDx almost anything - again - you need to look at the individual breeding for the % of ID blood - and what else is in the mix.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
They vary a lot. It is not a specific breed, they used to generally be some form of mix between a thoroughbred and and irish draught, but these days there are a lot of warmblood and cobby lines around too, so best to check the bloodlines of the specific horse you're going for. If you look at a traditional TB-ID cross there are lots of excellent ID sires that you can look out for that are renowned for passing on excellent temperament and conformation.

Wundahorse

Visit site
Most of the Irish horses I've come across have seemed lovely and very versatile.They usually have been started by professionals who expect manners,but like anything,you can get quirky ones.Our grey is an Irish sport horse but his dam is Selle Francais,out of Dutch and German lines.He is a super horse,wonderful temperament and he really likes to please. I gather the Irish are using more WB lines now.

hihosilver

Visit site
I love them but they do vary. I had a mare 16.1 ISH unknown breeding but really hot and quirky...managed to sell as not for me. I have recently purchased a 15.3 ISH by the Grange Bouncer and he has a temperament to die for! and he is only 5 very talented as well. I think it down to luck really! but I would always have a Irish horse had them in my youth and one got to intermediate level eventing and he was average but they all seem to try their best.

Tinsel Town

Visit site
Mine is just amazing, solid, not spooky, sweet, sensitive, very soft mouth, moves beautifully and is talented, so they get my vote!! But like all types you find ones that aren't usual to the breed so take each one just as an individual :)

snooples

Visit site
ID x TB really are amazing, go for half and half if its just a general all rounder but for eventing at higher levels you would prob need three quarter TB.

If you are buying from Ireland, chances are the horse probably hunted at a young age as many horses over here do. Iv noticed a lot of people on here seem to disagree with this and say the horse might have problems when its older etc
But Iv seen no prrof of this claim, hunting them at a young ages, teaches them to think for themselves, shows them what to do with their legs (gives them the famous 5th leg), it makes them so brave and they are usually great cross country!

I love ish of course you do get duds as you do with every type of horse but when they are good they are very very good!

welshied

Visit site
My ISH is a ID x TB he is currently 5 and has a great attitude and very trainable he is just starting dressage and also has one hell of a jump. He is a good doer and is always getting himself into bother but i would have another tomorrow

Kallibear

Visit site
I've got a 'proper' ISH (ID x TB half and half). But even then it depends massively on lines. Some ID produce sharp quirky offspring, others dopes on a rope. Same for TBs.

Mines a Huntingfield Rebel baby with Saddler Well's mum. He's easy, kind, laid back, straightforward and mostly sensible (occasional drama queen about bathtime and having stuff applied) but is extremely high energy and enthusiastic and sensitive. He needs a Job and entertains himself if bored. He's far too polite to do anything ' naughty) but would be a nightmare in a novices hands.

He's nearly 3.5 now and been started but too immature to do anything much yet. Because of his very different types that mature at different speeds, he's kind of funky looking at the moment but will be a handsome boy when he's done.

googol

Visit site
They Def vary alot but are so versatile and adaptable!mine has lovely paces,scopey jump and lovely nature(Lovely nature ridden-he's a bit of a character in the stable lol)-he's a fantastic all rounder!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Sports horse is really just a marketing term. It generally means a horse with some good bloodlines in there, that should be capable of decent competing, however people use it nowadays to cover what used to be called a "good alrounder".