Opinions on standing on horses.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Generally done for horses that haven't been schooled very well, so the seller uses it as a way to imply the horse is bomb proof as they cannot produce a photo of a nicely working horse.
It proves nothing of the sort but may impress a novice buyer looking for a living bicycle.

Have to say I agree with this ^^^^

Ibblebibble

Visit site
done by people who know where to stand and care enough about their horses to have their backs checked regularly then i guess it is not a huge issue. But when it's used by overweight men on hairy cobs to show how allegedly safe they are then it makes me cringe.

X

xspiralx

I don't really care either way but wouldn't buy a horse advertised with someone doing this.

Normally because the type of horses are not the sort I would want to buy - ie. a competition horse. I don't see exactly what point it proves in a sale ad. But have no issue in general with anyone doing it.

throughtheforest

Visit site
I can see where you are coming from Op, why should using your horse as a climbing frame be advertised as a selling point? It's sending out the wrong message to potential buyers, especially novice and inexperienced buyers which their seem to be a lot more of!

It's unprofessional and in a completely different context to volting or any PC games. This is advertising an animal that requires complicated care and handling therefore the seller should have responsibility to advertise their animal in a more professional and responsible manner. If anything advertising restrictions should be tightened and monitored more closely to prevent irresponsible sellers like that.

Houndman

Visit site
10363125_622802944482073_5815266507741444587_n.jpg

Great Grandad on the right about 1910. Some relatives from his side of the family in Australia dated 1947 on the left.

You will see photographs of people standing on horses backs dating back for years. It was kind of to show how steady the horse was.

Last edited:

Houndman

Visit site
Great grandad used to train them for harness, and they were his main hobby as a boy and I guess this was all about getting them to learn to be steady.

The Australian relatives in the photos we have showing them riding as kids are always barefoot, so this would be a lot kinder on the horse than standing on it with hard soled boots. Great grandad also appears to be wearing some kind of slippers here too.

Last edited:

RunToEarth

Visit site
I'm not bothered either way - I don't stand on my own horses but other people are perfectly welcome to stand on their horses without me judging them.

As for disrespectful to the horse - really?

JFTDWS

Visit site
10363125_622802944482073_5815266507741444587_n.jpg

Great Grandad on the right about 1910. Some relatives from his side of the family in Australia dated 1947 on the left.

You will see photographs of people standing on horses backs dating back for years. It was kind of to show how steady the horse was.

Now that is a cool couple of pics. I have limited interest in people doing it - don't care either way. I've probably done it myself in the teenage days of my youth :p

Puppy

Visit site
In the context of such photos being used in for sale adverts, to make the horse look sensible, it screams low end dealer to me.

TrasaM

Visit site
Great grandad used to train them for harness, and they were his main hobby as a boy and I guess this was all about getting them to learn to be steady.

The Australian relatives in the photos we have showing them riding as kids are always barefoot, so this would be a lot kinder on the horse than standing on it with hard soled boots. Great grandad also appears to be wearing some kind of slippers here too.

Great photos Houndman.
I used to stand on my donkey's back when I was a child.. ;)

eahotson

Visit site
Generally done for horses that haven't been schooled very well, so the seller uses it as a way to imply the horse is bomb proof as they cannot produce a photo of a nicely working horse.
It proves nothing of the sort but may impress a novice buyer looking for a living bicycle.

No its a novice rider or a rider with limited nerve who is looking for a horse that is within their capacity to ride safely.Very sensible.

millikins

Visit site
Agree it looks a bit naff but harmless. In a similar vein, I fail completely to see why people post adverts with them cuddling a horse lying down, usually wearing a rug. What on earth is that supposed to demonstrate?

Houndman

Visit site
The kids in my second photo would have spent a huge amount of time with their horses on a daiy basis as part of running the farm and so build up a very close bond with them, and you can tell in the photo that the horse is very comfortable with the antics.