Opinions on this 3yo ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Op the only person who needs to like him is you .
I did like his natural balanced canter and his control over his body and attitude on the lunge I am guessing he's not priced as a show standard one would be if you are happy and the vet is happy it's a result.

Jools1234

Visit site
if you like him and are happy with the asking price then have him vetted and discuss conformation with your vet, his pasterns do look upright and for my personal taste he lacks bone, i cant view video so can only comment from the photos.
he does look like a 3yr old that has a lot of growing left to do, i would expect him to finish up at over 17hh easy if he is 16.2hh now at 3.
nice face, he is also nice and uphill in his conformation.
what do you aim to do with him?
i would not woryy about his weight, yes he is lean but i think thats a good thing in youngsters, be cautious of 'feeding him up' if you get him cos that combine with change in yard and routine can result in a change in temperament.

Tai.Ni.Po.Ni

Visit site
I can safely say he is not a welfare case, his feet were in good condition and he had a lovely stable and there were several other horses there in good condition including his mum who was actually on the bigger end of the weight tape. I think he is just under muscled and his ribs are showing due to being on a circle.

caithness_1

Visit site
I'm sorry I know nothing aboout conformation or price or anything like that...I jusr wanted to say i think he's gorgeous - definitely my kind of horse to look at! Please keep us updated what you decide to do as would love to see more pics of him. Also his condition looks better in the vid than it does from the pics, I wouldn't be too worried.

Jools1234

Visit site
cant really tell anything from the video as no walk and trot shown as he is dodging to avoid obstacles-i stick by my previous post if you like him get him vetted

Tai.Ni.Po.Ni

Visit site
Very different opinions which of course is to be expected. He was very well behaved lunging :) it was windy, wet and muddy an didn't blink an eyelid. Wish I was a good decision maker.

Amymay thanks for looking at the vid and going you're opinion. Could you explain a bit more about week back end ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
The video did not really do him justice - i dont think it would have done any horse justice, he was too busy looking at where he was going - which was ashame - but the positives are, if you want him for eventing, is that he goes through mud and water ! -he also seams intellegent enough to look where he is going.

I think alot would depend on how much they wanted for him, it wholly depends on price on for me.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Do people really think he is seriously under weight :eek:

No of course he's not. I think there are a lot of people just not used to seeing these big WBs as youngsters. Some grow evenly, most don't, and that's what you're seeing here, a typical gangly 3 year old. He looks fine OP and so long as you feed him something with the correct levels of nutrients then I wouldn't want a whole load more weight on him until prior to backing. More damage is done by those who stuff their youngsters full of the wrong feed and they look like giant weebles. I personally wouldn't buy a fat youngster but will happily consider a lean one. The photos do the horse no justice and I would also look carefully at those front legs; it may be something or nothing. He is going to be big I suspect so has a lot of growing still to do.

Christsam

Visit site
I think he's alright. Its a bad place to lunge, quite a small area and very muddy, and he is only 3 years old. OP get yourself a vet look at him if YOU like him.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He looks very straight through his stifle and hocks to me, and as you're looking for a competition horse you should be looking for near enough perfect conformation - to give yourself the best chance of a horse being able to sustain hard work.

I realise that this is 29 seconds on a slippery surface - and that you've seen him in the flesh (and I haven't). But if I were sent that video with a view to going to look at the horse, I would decline.

But - poor quality photo's and not great video (the surface doesn't help) is perhaps not the best way to offer an opinion (I would say). And as always with these things your best option is to always take the most experienced person you can find with you to view an animal in the flesh.

Let us know what you decide.

Tai.Ni.Po.Ni

Visit site
Getting worried at the mention of OCD. Sorry to be thick but what is making come to this conclusion ?

Realistically I know I can't afford a perfect youngster with amazing confo so little things don't worry me.
I recently put a post on about vetting and most people advised not to vet an unbroken youngster. ... Hmmm

charlie76

Visit site
I will try and remember to post some pics of wb as a, four yr old, he looked like an upside down camel, now he is matured he is stunning. They take a long time.

Sparkles

Visit site
I like the look of him. He'll fill out at his own pace over time.

Christ, our WB baby was a lean, gangly 'rack' till he was 4....despite vets/food pumping/no worms/etc. He was just simply a very big, tall baby, who kept growing upwards before he started filling outwards. Nothing wrong with him at all, he was just a gangly, big framed baby. He stood about 16.1hh as a rising 2 year old....he is now just a touch over 17.2hh.

He's 8/9 now, and has taken till the last year to mature fully physically. Mentally, he's always been beyond his years...which was lucky, as we left him till he was almost 5 before riding him properly!

Him as a 4 1/2 year old.
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/250355_10151232487191753_1577673563_n.jpg

Sparkles

Visit site
Double posted for some reason! Edited.

As for peace of mind, unless you're looking at very high level competition, some faults conformationally you can get away with at a lower level. Best bet, if you like him, get a vet out to do a 2 stage on him for an extra £170 well spent. You'll get your vets opinion on whether he'll be suited for purpose, and a general idea on heart/wind/eyes/any lameness or leg niggles etc.

Last edited:

Tai.Ni.Po.Ni

Visit site
Thanks CS,
It's very promising seing yours in the same situation, I think he is much the same as you're boy, very mature in his head just a bit behind in his body.