Opinions Wanted

Pick an option!

• Total voters

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would be worried about that dropped hind fetlock. Is it a done deal?

It may just be his long feet that are causing him to stand like that.

Leo Walker

Visit site
If there is any way to back out I would. 15.2hh ex racer doesnt have much of a resale value at all. There just isnt a strong market for ex racers without a competition record, and even then as a lightweight 15.2hh hes not a desirable build or height. And those legs particularly the hind fetlock would absolutely terrify me! Did he retire from racing sound?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am sorry but I have to agree about his legs :( before I read you had bought a horse I was going to tell you about a TB that was advertised on here a nice bay gelding 3 years old, although he was ridden in draw reins in the photo's I thought he actually looked a really nice horse he had retired as he just didn't want to run and was really quiet to ride.

LPL

Visit site
Thanks all. Shocking pasterns huh? Deal already done but I’ve paid next to nothing for him and I was willing to take the risk for that price.

Hasn’t actually retired from racing. He was worked yesterday and has come home sound with racing plates on. He’s been bought from a reputable yard and I’ve planned every horrible eventuality. Don’t worry, haven’t bought him under any false pretenses.

He’s more around the 15.3/16hh mark. Also studied every inch of his legs and although crazy long his pasterns don’t look as bad in real life. Promise.

Anyway, if he goes lame and he has to be shot it will be a very long and steep (unlike his pasterns) learning curve eh?
Wish us luck. We’ll need it!

Hey hey great idea! Maybe I should call him pastern?!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks all. Shocking pasterns huh? Deal already done but I’ve paid next to nothing for him and I was willing to take the risk for that price.

Hasn’t actually retired from racing. He was worked yesterday and has come home sound with racing plates on. He’s been bought from a reputable yard and I’ve planned every horrible eventuality. Don’t worry, haven’t bought him under any false pretenses.

He’s more around the 15.3/16hh mark. Also studied every inch of his legs and although crazy long his pasterns don’t look as bad in real life. Promise.

Anyway, if he goes lame and he has to be shot it will be a very long and steep (unlike his pasterns) learning curve eh?
Wish us luck. We’ll need it!

Hey hey great idea! Maybe I should call him pastern?!

Well let's hope he stays sound. Good luck with him. He's very sweet looking. TBH the long pasterns wouldn't bother me that much on a TB as many of them have them. However, I would really worry about the right hind. He is straight through the hock and the fetlock has dropped to compensate which could point to ligament damage. It is lower than the left one. As I say, I do hope he stays sound for you.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The other thing that can cause these kind of angles, and a common thing with ex racers is poor foot balance where the pedal bone is 'reverse rotated' forcing the heel down. He has very small feet. I would get him out of shoes (at least on the hinds) and get someone in who knows a lot about remedial trimming.

LPL

Visit site
Thanks. Now I’ve studied his legs at length today (hours lol) and then looked at the other racehorses and tbs on the yard and honestly think - although consistent in those pictures - his hock isn’t *as* straight as the pics show. And his heel not as dropped. It’s not great admittedly but we’ll see. He is sound now and you’d assume if he can hack being in training up until yesterday then a few hacks here and there and the odd schooling session over the next 6 months he’ll be okay? Whooooo knows.

But excellent farrier coming asap.

And look at least he’s cute... spot the difference with his (also been lame behind) neighbour. They have perfectly mirrored markings.

7l8skBr.jpg

LPL

Visit site
Wagtail just researching reverse pedal rotation. His feet are TINY. The feet almost look like they have been made to fit the shoe. I definitely think he’ll look different in 6 months time. Back shoes off?!

LPL

Visit site
Thought I’d give you all an update!
I’ve had Pastern Pea for two months tomorrow and so far, so good. He had a month in due to an unsuitable field arrangement so we hacked and went on happy hacking outings which were mostly good. We met the yard Shetland.

A4ysVOX.jpg

cOx0xa6.jpg

Then he finally went out in the field and didn’t know what to do! He’s still not rolled outside yet! But did manage to get mud fever within two hours of going out.

We had a battle with a stream.
Oj6jKcG.jpg

Then we went for a lesson with Louise Robson which was extremely useful and just pointed us in the right direction. And then today he’s been for his first ever dressage comp. I just hoped to get round without falling off or having issues and he only went and won! Well sort of. I went wrong twice so we came second. He did a very smart test. I’ve never ridden a young horse that finds it so easy. We even got a few 8’s and a great comment ‘I see a really promising youngster here - super elastic paces and working very well between hand and leg.’ Couldn’t have asked for better really!

Long may it continue.

80WNSqy.jpg

Have got loads of vids but I’m quite happy in my little bubble and couldn’t face the criticism today haha!

claracanter

Visit site
Well done. Have just read your post and was going to say go for Option 1 and it looks like you have.

I have a TB who does not cost much in shoes or food but did do a DDFT. He came right when turned away so I think you have done the right thing.

LPL

Visit site
That’s what I like to hear! As sweet as Pea is he is no Mr G and I pine for him daily. Keeping the faith and love hearing stories of horses coming sound so thank you!

Ellietotz

Visit site
He is unbelievably handsome! What happened with his backs in the end? Did you take the shoes off? I'm jealous, can I have him next? :lol:

LPL

Visit site
He has a really lovely head even though I’m not a tremendous fan of a white face. You can definitely have him next haha. Farrier and I decided backs off might just be a bit too dramatic a change. I don’t want him to be sore so he shoe him appropriately and they looked instantly better. He’s due to be shod again any time now so will see what we think this time around. I 100% Trust his opinion.

Ellietotz

Visit site
He has a really lovely head even though I’m not a tremendous fan of a white face. You can definitely have him next haha. Farrier and I decided backs off might just be a bit too dramatic a change. I don’t want him to be sore so he shoe him appropriately and they looked instantly better. He’s due to be shod again any time now so will see what we think this time around. I 100% Trust his opinion.

Thanks! :lol: Glad he is doing so well!

MuffettMischief

Visit site
I would be tempted to put your current horse in the field to heal himself in his own time and loan something. I would imagine you wont find it to hard loaning a horse for the winter. Then there is no initial outlay and no hassle trying to sell come spring.

LPL

Visit site
Thought I'd do a December update since little Pea head has been quite busy. I had horrific flu for two weeks then we had the icy weather so he didn't get up to much during the week so I decided to take him to a pleasure ride with some friends. I did question my sanity but decided that I bought a second stupid horse to do the fun things I wanted to do so I may as well have a go. Fortunately he was a complete angel. I didn't expect to do much more than have a few nice canters and pop a tiny log or two but ended up doing a few tiny jumps in a row and he was honest and keen and I couldn't have been more proud.

Let him blow some steam off first:
[video=youtube_share;ymT-EQWP2Mo]https://youtu.be/ymT-EQWP2Mo[/video]

Then we attempted our very first jump.
[video=youtube_share;i4VDnz9VrFI]https://youtu.be/i4VDnz9VrFI[/video]

And then eventually had a little go at a few in a row.
[video=youtube_share;-FSiUcV1smQ]https://youtu.be/-FSiUcV1smQ[/video]

All very wobbly babyish of course but promising all the same.

LPL

Visit site
Then he had a week off due to frost and we went to some dressage. We came 2nd on 66.52% only 0.25% off winning with some really fabulous comments again. I am actually feeling brave enough to show you all so here is a short clip of his last outing.

[video=youtube;L0St7csZZiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0St7csZZiE[/video]

Not quite sure why the vids are sooooo small.

So here we are, 3 months out of training and I am starting to like the little weirdo quite a lot...he is such a fast learner and so willing with the most lovely temperament. He is like a puppy.

And I've been trying to get a shot of his pasterns. I certainly think there is an improvement but tbh each pastern takes it in turns to look a bit low but the images wont load!!!

So next up poles clinic on 6th and another Louise Robson clinic on 28th with the aim to do a prelim in Feb.

Hope you've all had a lovely Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

LPL

Visit site
Hasn't time flown... Some of you may have seen on my other thread but the wonderful Mr Gatsby did not make the recovery we had hoped so he was PTS in Feb. Gutted and found making the decision incredibly hard and still question whether I did the right thing but here we are. Pea is now top string. The freak with the ****** pasterns is top dog. Bloody hell it has taken some blood sweat and tears but he is starting to get there. Since December Pea has done all sorts. He has been to RoR camp at Bishop Burton where he was a COMPLETE turd. Thank god I was amongst great, knowledgeable, experienced patient and hilarious friends... But at least we got some nice pics. Photos are all in chronological order. Pea has been placed every time out, scored 70% dressage tests, jumped double clears, been on holiday to the beach and done lots of happy hacking and lessons. Got his first ODE in August and depending on how it goes maybe a BE80T in September. Oh, he still has **** pasterns.

tlybSNm.jpg

H8vvQHK.jpg

MamlZfo.jpg

fMcqHYn.jpg

0Seu3DW.jpg

G3xgeHs.jpg

x6V1ebO.jpg

iklVKDF.jpg

CCqjzlq.jpg

jqXVEOQ.jpg

Q4eMTfZ.jpg

jCIuUzS.jpg

IOUneyI.jpg

DigwSVn.jpg

Earlier ones to come!

Bradsmum

Visit site
What a lovely update. Glad you both are having fun which is what it's all about. I know you said you're not a fan of white faces but that one pretty face in the last pic!

kimberleigh

Visit site
Really enjoyed reading this! I have a huge baby TB coming on Saturday - 4 year old, very full up 16.3hh at the moment! Been out of training 14 weeks and just been let off in the field. I am going to let her mature over the winter and start afresh come spring (plus I have my 3rd child due january so probably not sensible to go hopping on baby TBs at the moment!)

I hope she turns out to be as sane as Mr Pea!! Im sorry to hear about your other lad too, but I'm betting having Pea kept you from falling apart over his loss - they're worth their weight in gold when you get a good one!

LPL

Visit site
Sounds lovely! I’m looking forward to seeing your progress - if you decide to post about it of course!

Thank you, Pea has certainly not been saintly. He spent most of his time at camp on two legs and I have fallen off him more in the past 10 months than I have in 20 years! He is stubborn and can do the fastest spin and most elegant rear you have ever seen but he can move and is starting to understand jumping so hopefully we’ll work through he Kevin phase and I’ll have a nice horse at the end of it! Serves me right for buying a race fit tb and not giving it any time to wind down!

Best of luck with your newbie!!!