Other liveries "borrowed" my lorry. Bit annoyed !

touchstone

Visit site
well at least with a red snow shovel you wont notice the mess when the shovel makes a slugsh sound and covered in blood.

I would hit the back first then just for good measure hit the front.

Or run them over with the lorry and say the last person to use it must have left the handbrake off. :D

Turks

Visit site
Don't worry about speeding tickets - you can prove you we're out of the country! Yes - an admin pain and you would have to name them as drivers then and then it's up to them. No need to report to police to protect yourself in that respect. Parking tickets different matter I'm afraid!

Re taking a vehicle without owners consent - both driver and passenger can be liable but have to prove that they knew they didn't have that consent. They mightbe able to wriggle out of it if they stick to the "I thought you'd asked" line.

It's not blackmail to threaten to report matter to police if they don't pay up reasonable costs - this is not an "unwarranted demand". If you don't want to report matter straight away you can keep this in your back pocket as a bit of leverage ;)

Given that you don't like confrontation this might be your best option - ask for reasonable cover of costs and keep police in back pocket if they play you up...

Deal with this well and it will give you more confidence to be assertive next time. Keep us posted and all the best :)

Spyda

Visit site
True story. Wouldn't you thank someone who had been so kind? I know I would.

That's exactly what I've been thinking! Have they been passing you on the yard and not mentioning it? And what about the new horse? Is it at your yard? If so, surely they would have had cause to get chatting and thank you for letting them have use of your lorry to collect it?!

Spyda

Visit site
Not sure if anyone else has said this but some thing doesnt seem right to me, I believe the YO knew you didnt give them permission to take the lorry and let them take it not thinking you would find out and just said make sure you fill it up etc. If she really thought that you had given them permission why how would she know they were considering calling your on holiday to ask to borrow the box? It doesnt make sense to me! I think you just need to see that people are taking advantage of you, YO to, and just say your not happy. You dont need to go in all guns blazing but some thing needs to be said, how can you let them affect you from going down to d your horse? Dont let it get like that! x

Distinct possibility that YO had an incling. Surely she would have expected you to mention that'd you'd given someone permission to use your lorry in your absence? Surely? Had it been me, and I'd been YO, I wouldn't have passed over the keys without certainty. Surely even she would have thought of the implications on her had something untoward happened whilst the lorry was being borrowed in your absence? Would love to know what the 3 of them would have done if something had gone wrong :rolleyes:

Luci07

Visit site
One thing missing which no other posters have picked up. They could not call as OP was out of touch for 16 hours travelling. So.......why did they wait till she was away?

Agree the letter is a good idea. Also OP, you now know how they regard you. They didn't even say THANK YOU when you got home. Clearly demonstrate a complete lack of regard for you.

Alternatively if you are concerned, let us speak for you. Print this and take it with you to your meeting.

Toast

Visit site
Jesus wept.. its no wonder these 'nice ladies' went for a jolly in your lorry. They evidently knew you wouldn't say anything!! Judging by the fact your YO hasn't sent them packing suggests to me that she knew they hadn't asked you and thought nobody would ever know.
I hope you grew some balls overnight for your sake!!!
I would've exploded. Police would've been called, there would've been much raging and nashing of teeth and i would've presented them with a hefty invoice.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I think the OP has commited a crime too

The PTNO..... Posted, then no update...... :)

maybe she has hit them with a snow shovel which has started a full out brawl like on the old western days..... :) :) :)

Scotslad23

Visit site
I think the OP has commited a crime too

The PTNO..... Posted, then no update...... :)

maybe she has hit them with a snow shovel which has started a full out brawl like on the old western days..... :) :) :)

Had one of these this morning with another livery ..... it was not pretty and i think i shook the stable foundations I shouted and swore so loudly :eek:

Tobiano

Visit site
hi Romany. Just seen this and read all the way through. POOR YOU! I know exactly what you mean about confrontation and bad feeling etc. I was feeling sick just reading through the posts and thinking how I would be feeling if I had to say something!

well done for starting the process. If you have spoken to them today I really hope it has gone well for you. Nothing more constructive I can think of to say except (((((hugs)))))) and give yourself a massive bottle of wine as congratulations for putting your point across. x x

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Romany - just read this thread - if you don't like confrontation, just call the police and report them for TWOC, then let the Police deal with it - otherwise grow a spine and confront them - and don't be nice. They are in the wrong and you are in the right - stand your ground and tell them you are still thinking of whether you should report the crime to the Police or not.

I keep thinking about if I were in a similar position. If someone had borrowed it to pick a horse up or go to a show without my permission I would be furious and I would have no hesitation in reporting them.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Oh gosh... I got impression from others at yard today that they were desperate to get this horse, and said they would phone me but I was in USA and didn't have phone on all days..
There you are, they couldn't get hold of you.

Ok, they should not have done it, but, come on, it's not the end of the world, just have a little word to say you're not that happy about the situation and then carry on as normal. No one died!

3Beasties

Visit site
There you are, they couldn't get hold of you.

Ok, they should not have done it, but, come on, it's not the end of the world, just have a little word to say you're not that happy about the situation and then carry on as normal. No one died!

Not being able to get hold of someone is no excuse to take a lorry (or anything else for that matter) without permission.

The only time this could possibly be acceptable was if it was a life and death situation (which this doesn't sound like it is), but even then I think I'd still be fairly miffed!

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Calling the police is a complete over reaction, a waste of t heir time and I doubt they'll be in the least bit interested.

What an hysterical bunch there are on this forum!

Delicious_D

Visit site
You are being a bit of a whimp ;)
What if they had been in an accident and an innocent party got really hurt or even killed? They would not have been insured....

I dont think the YO is innocent in this. You hadnt told her yourself they could borrow it, she is partly to blame. Personally i would move yards as the trust is gone.