Other peoples dogs barking at me while out hacking

hannahealasaid

Visit site
It really can be horrible when dogs jump out and bark when you don't know they are there. Gives riders just as much of a shock as the poor horses! So you can't blame them for reacting.
Whilst you do need to get them used to dogs being around and barking it's not always easy and certainly not an enjoyable experience when you have all the other challenges of traffic etc on roads and they are worried by the noise.
Do you know anyone with a noisy dog so that you could expose the horses to the noise whilst being in a safe environment?
Hope you manage to solve the problem :)

risky business

Visit site
No wonder people have such a problem with horse riders now days.

I don't understand why others have to stop their lives for a horse rider whether that be a dog in the garden, a farmer in his tractor, builders or cars the list goes on.

The horse either gets over it or don't go out, whenever my old mare used to spook or have a wobbler I'd laugh and tell her to get over it. She soon learned that if I wasn't bothered then she shouldn't be either.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I do sympathise OP. My horse is wary of dogs but she is getting better the more she meets.

I think you were asking for advice on how to cope with passing these dogs and how to get the horses accustomed to them. For my horse it is just a matter of repetition and confidence; firm contact, leg on and reassuring pat afterwards.

As for it being 'okay' to allow your dog/dogs to bark and act aggressively towards passing people; I do not think that is okay but some owners think it is fine and are even proud of the fact. (Why?) I would be embarrassed if my dog was intimidating people and riders who pass our house.

twiggy2

Visit site
My dogs are not allowed to run the fence line (never have been), I don't think it does the dog any favours-it gets the adrenalin pumping and if they get out whilst on an adrenalin high they are in my opinion more likely to display out of character behaviour. I see no need to let a well adjusted/well behaved/well excersised and mentally stimulated dog run the fence line guarding its boundaries/hunting other animals along the boundary.

we have a dog near us that makes the most god awful racket whilst bouncing up and down trying to get over a brick wall when you ride past on a horse-scared the living daylights out of me and the horse-this dog is however never walked and is in the garden alone 24/7 so it has no other stimulation than lying at the gates saying hello to other dogs (does appear dog friendly) and acting as if it would like to try and kill the odd horse.

personally my own dogs barking drives me insane unless it is at the arrival of some at the garden gates-apart from that they do not bark at the postman or front door deliveries only people who stop at the one of the back garden gates. I don't really think this is something that has been trained by me I just think it is a sign of dogs that are confident in the security of the pack/are well excersised/have metal stimulation-they don't need to look for another outlet in barking

touchstone

Visit site
Dogs are being dogs and `protecting their property, providing they are adequately contained then I don't see an issue, some places even have guard dogs - I suspect they wouldn't be too pleased at being told they have to stop their animals doing their job!

I'd view it as an excellent training opportunity, so that when you do meet loose dogs you don't have to cope with a panicking horse as well.

I ride a route that is popular with dog walkers, we cope fine with barking dogs and dogs running around, as annoying as it can be, as well as farm collies that will attempt to herd us and the guard dog on a chain that launches itself at us at the last minute.

paulineh

Visit site

I don't understand why others have to stop their lives for a horse rider whether that be a dog in the garden, a farmer in his tractor, builders or cars the list goes on.

The horse either gets over it or don't go out, whenever my old mare used to spook or have a wobbler I'd laugh and tell her to get over it. She soon learned that if I wasn't bothered then she shouldn't be either.

As we all know horses can be unpredictable. I agree that a dog in a garden can not always be controlled but the farmer and his tractor ,builders, cars or dogs out loss can be controlled. You can ask the farmer , the builder etc to wait a second or two while you ride past . There is a lot of traffic up my lane (small industrial park at the end. Mostly car work shops) some of the drivers are polite and will wait until you can pull on but others drive right up your back, these drivers I make wait , the lane is only a quarter of a mile long and there are a number of places that you the rider can pull in. There are two places were there are dogs and at both places they will run at the fence and bark.

The horses have to get use to them. Now if a dog was not under control while out in the woods that is a different situation. I halt my horse and ask the owner to control the dog, if the dog is snapping at the horses heels and I have warned the owner and then my horse kicks out it is not my responsibility but that of the owner.

My horses are use to having dogs around them so do not react under NORMAL situations but if that situation is not "NORMAL" then they will react.

Think about yourself , if you were walking down a road and suddenly someone ran at you from inside a fence you would react YES but if you knew that person was there and did it every time you passed that house you would not react the same way. With the horse they are always on their guard they are flight animals. They will always be aware of that predictor.

To finish IF I ever saw anyone doing anything to my dogs while they were on my property (a water pistol etc) then I would react indefence of my dogs.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Hear, hear!

twiggy2

Visit site
Dogs are being dogs and `protecting their property, providing they are adequately contained then I don't see an issue, some places even have guard dogs - I suspect they wouldn't be too pleased at being told they have to stop their animals doing their job!

I'd view it as an excellent training opportunity, so that when you do meet loose dogs you don't have to cope with a panicking horse as well.

I ride a route that is popular with dog walkers, we cope fine with barking dogs and dogs running around, as annoying as it can be, as well as farm collies that will attempt to herd us and the guard dog on a chain that launches itself at us at the last minute.

a good guard dog wont bark at something (human/horse or otherwise) going past a boundary in broad daylight-why would it it is no risk. they would bark if something tried to breach a boundary yes

Dubsie

Visit site
We have loose dogs come into our front garden when we're tacking up/getting ready to load to go out, as well as loose ones in the road and along the bridleway beyond the end of the road which runs behind a housing estate. Has taken a year or so to get the NF used to being yapped at (first outing on NF resulted in him being chased by 2 loose retrievers that had been set off lead at the top of the bridleway to go home and this meant the owner couldn't see them let alone control them) . We've trained him to face the yapper and walk towards them when ridden - dog invariably turns tail and runs home/back to owner, he also now moves towards them even when tied up, they always back off. Think might have over done it on the training though - had one in the back garden the other day and the pony cornered him and chased him out at a gallop - poor dog dived through the barn, got zapped by the electric and caught under the barbed wire fence and really struggled to get out of the field (even though pony wouldn't go under electric so couldn't actually get to him)

abracadabra

Visit site
Well, if they escape that's a different issue to deal with. But your original post makes no mention of the fact you fear they will escape. [...].

It does look, post #1!

[...]I am actually quite worried that these dogs will soon get out of their garden, and judging by the teeth baring and the rather menacing growling I wouldn't put it past them to get hold of a horse's tail or leg![...]

Indy

Visit site
I've got 2 collies and they go berserk when a horse goes past. They are protecting their territory. I know when I've gone past on one of my horses they go blummin nuts and my dogs have been around horses all their lives - when they're on the yard or in the field they show complete indifference to the horses - if I'm about they get called away but if I'm not I'm afraid you've just got to get on and deal with them. They even go nuts at me when I go past, normally a 'shut up yer bleddy things' does the trick I've found.

jinglejoys

Visit site
I tend to let the dogs know that we are coming,that way there are no sudden surprises for either party and then I talk to the dogs as I ride by telling them what good dogs they are.Eventually they get used to my voice and don't make such a fuss about it.If Malaga got at all worried I dismount and walk him by.Sometimes the owners apologise but I just say not to worry the dogs are only doing their job and they'll soon learn

monkeybum13

Visit site
The horses will get used to it.

You say you're worried they would go for your horse if they escape, they're just being protective over their garden, I bet they'd be fine if they were outside 'their' area. Not that they are likely to escape anyway.

Reacher

Visit site
Am I right you are riding other people's horses (liveries?) on behalf of a YO? If so I'd ask YO for advice.

There was a similar post here
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-247573.html

and there was a useful reply:
"Yous simply contact your District Council dog warden and explain the problems you are having. He can initially visit the property but if the owners fail to co-operate then the District Council can use the Enviromental Protection Act 1990 (as ammended) to enforce the owner of the property to keep the dogs well away from the boundary fencing of the property. This means that the owners will have to erect a secure inner fence to keep the dogs away from the boundary fence of the property.

This has been done several times where for instance a bridleway goes past a property which has dogs which scare horses. It can also be done if it is a public highway that passes the property."

huskydamage

Visit site
I have to regularly ride past a dog rescue place and the noise as I get close is deafening. But my horse is so used to it now she is hardly bothered. At the start of it there is a big hedge and just behind is a dog that likes to jump up rattling the chain link fence. This sometimes makes my horse jump, but then it makes me jump too!
The more you ride past it the less the horses will care. The dogs will probably always go crazy though as its their territory.
I had a loose dog run up to my horse before and the owner was panicking about my horse. I said it's the dog that needs to watch out! My horse can quite easily kick/tread on the dog and kill it.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Am I right you are riding other people's horses (liveries?) on behalf of a YO? If so I'd ask YO for advice.

"Yous simply contact your District Council dog warden and explain the problems you are having. He can initially visit the property but if the owners fail to co-operate then the District Council can use the Enviromental Protection Act 1990 (as ammended) to enforce the owner of the property to keep the dogs well away from the boundary fencing of the property. This means that the owners will have to erect a secure inner fence to keep the dogs away from the boundary fence of the property.

This has been done several times where for instance a bridleway goes past a property which has dogs which scare horses. It can also be done if it is a public highway that passes the property."

Now I find this quite worrying and would think that it would do a great deal of harm to the public perception of riders in the area. My Appy finds the Soay Sheep, who show an unhealthy interest in her, worrying and intimidating, should I ask for the sheep to be controlled, or should I train my horse to get on with her job?

paddi22

Visit site
/\/\/\ echo the poster above.
i think it would be ridiculous to complain and I know I would get a terrible impression of riders from something like that. The dogs are contained on their own land and are only barking. On hacks I usually get more grief from pheasants on the nearby land- do i go to the landowners and complain about them? Or complain to the farmer about his cows that come running over in a gang when we hack past? Where does it end then?

Mudfukkle

Visit site
Just want to say, that now you know the horses are likely to spook whilst going past these dogs, in the event of an accident (heaven forbid), you may be liable, as you know the dogs are there, and you knowingly still ride past.

I know that sucks, but it is the case. As you now know the horses react to these dogs, you should not ride past them if the horses are still reacting.

If the horses caused an accident the first time this happened, and you didn't know the dogs were there, it would be unlikely that you would be liable.

risky business

Visit site

I'm sorry but that is ridiculous, god forbid people have dogs in their garden. It's their property why should everyone else have the right to say what they have or do within that property! Horses are spooky with all sorts of animals, don't mean they should all be locked away out of sight because of the chance they might spook a horse.

TTK

Visit site
I tend to let the dogs know that we are coming,that way there are no sudden surprises for either party and then I talk to the dogs as I ride by telling them what good dogs they are.Eventually they get used to my voice and don't make such a fuss about it.If Malaga got at all worried I dismount and walk him by.Sometimes the owners apologise but I just say not to worry the dogs are only doing their job and they'll soon learn

This is exactly what I do, I call the dogs and say hello to them politely. No problems.

julie111

Visit site
Today while hacking out we had a jack Russell terrier run out into the lane barking at us and running at the ponies back legs! Yes I know we should get our horses used to dogs but running at them on a public highway is dangerous!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site

No wonder this country is going down the pan. It's the 'where there's blame, there's a claim' brigade. Unbelievable.

Turtlebay69

Visit site
It is the same near me. We actually have to ride through a kennels which is on the bridle path. Just before the kennels is the house which I presume runs the kennels. They have a tiny, tiny chihuahua that comes thundering from the back garden, down the bridle path and yaps its head off the whole time I am riding past, carefully steering my horse so he does not tread on it. At first my horse turned to ****** off when he saw this little white blob coming running but now 5 hacks later he just gets on with it, even when walking through the kennels and ALL the dogs are savaging the kennel doors to get at him! I think it is persistence, but obviously is a lot harder when you are riding a different horse each time. I do not think there is anything you can do though but grin and ride past it!

putasocinit

Visit site
You can buy from amazon a control barking device, we cannot hear the sound but dogs can and it shuts them up infact they slink away, carry one in your pocket, i think its called avanti ii only £11 but worth it, i have one.

DMcLarty

New User
Visit site
Hi I would like to tell you about my expersnce....I have two bernease mountain dogs one is very young and barks and runs at the fence when the neighbour goes by with her horse...I have just had a nasty email telling me my dogs are aggrisive and will cause a accident it’s spooking her horse ...which she has said it’s young horse....I have a six foot fence and extra barriers at the gates to protect my dogs in there garden....I’m now very upset and nervous letting the dogs out in case she’s out with her horse only to get a mouthful from her. These answers have been uplifting to me and now I think it’s time to see a lawyer

Pedantic

Visit site
Not that my horse would care about the barking, but if it was bothering me, maybe I would get a water pistol filled with pee, might not fix the problem but would sure make me feel better about the situation.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Welcome to the forum DMcLarty. You may not realise, but this is a pretty old thread. Your problem is worth starting a new thread.
I sympathise with you, we often ride past local dogs who bark and fence run when we're hacking. It's quite a regular thing to happen to people who ride and quite honestly, all the horses I've ridden on, and with, get used to it and pass without a problem.
Rather than getting a lawyer, who about having a conversation with your neighbour first ? If she rides alone on a young horse, it might be causing problems for her due to the youngsters lack of confidence and experience. Life would be easier for both of you, if you both compromise a little. Ask when she usually rides past and bring your dogs in for a short while, or ask her to text , giving you time to quieten the dogs.
There are several solutions to desensitizing the horse and hopefully making this a temporary problem. Good luck.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Might make you feel a little better to know that some dogs react extremely differently when a fence isn’t there? My dog will run up and down the fence chasing after my Ram. (She’s a collie, not trained in herding but the instinct is there). One day I chucked her in with him to see what she would do. She jumped back out again!! Didn’t even try and go near him! Some can give it all they’ve got behind a fence but wouldn’t know what to do if there wasn’t one there!

Winters100

Visit site
Hi I would like to tell you about my expersnce....I have two bernease mountain dogs one is very young and barks and runs at the fence when the neighbour goes by with her horse...I have just had a nasty email telling me my dogs are aggrisive and will cause a accident it’s spooking her horse ...which she has said it’s young horse....I have a six foot fence and extra barriers at the gates to protect my dogs in there garden....I’m now very upset and nervous letting the dogs out in case she’s out with her horse only to get a mouthful from her. These answers have been uplifting to me and now I think it’s time to see a lawyer

Your neighbor sounds like a nightmare. And if she truly believes that she cannot control her horse when riding past a dog who she knows might bark then perhaps she should not be on the road. You could equally tell her that her horse is upsetting your dog!

People like that give horse riders a bad name.