Our first stay away show!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
So I’m finally getting my youngster to the National breed show next month. We’ve been to a few shows but this will be his and mines first stay away!
So I have a question re stabling for those who have stayed away before!
Stable is matted, they have shavings available to purchase there. I usually bed down on straw, (from big bales) and I’m just trying to decide if it will be easier for me to get/take shavings instead, and also how many bales you’d put in for one night? The stable needs to be clear when I leave and it seems a shame/waste to fill it right up just for one night to then Chuck it all on the muck heap the next day! Any ideas? I haven’t used shavings in a long long time!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm really really really tight.
I have brought back shavings from places where I've had to leave a totally clear stable before :oops: I take some feed sacks/big trugs/builders sacks in the lorry and then bung them in stable at home on our return :)

for a normal size stable with mats I find a couple of bales of Bedmax with the big flakes makes a nice bed and is easier to clear out afterward than small flake fluffy ones.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
1 will probably be enough but less bed will probably make him dirty! We bed the grey on a thick bed but we bag up the clean and take it home with us.

EnduroRider

Visit site
I also take bedding home but I will go with minimal on the floor of the trailer and just chuck it in there. They aren't too tall so it doesn't matter if they stand on a good few inches of bedding on the way home!!