Outside arena - Riding Surface - mistakes to avoid. Any comments or suggestions appreciated

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
First (and no doubt last!) time I will have an arena built. Its just gone in for Planning - fingers crossed - and it will be 25m x 40m.
I have looked through many past posts but still have no idea what surface to go for. The riding surfaces I like most are mega bucks (ie Martin Collins unwaxed) and need irrigation which could be a problem.
I don't want a waxed surface after reading posts on this forum.
The Planning Consultant, who rides himself, has suggested Flexiride.
The arena will be used by 4 ponies for general schooling, jumping at modest heights and loose schooling.
I want a more 'natural' and supportive rather than springy surface, don't want to spend more than necessary, but it has to last!
Comments/opinions appreciated....

teapot

Visit site
Biggest thing I ever learnt was to make sure the surface was suitable for the horses using it.

For example, horses that drag their feet/brush through don't do too well on firm waxed surfaces which needs to be ridden on top of it.

Remind me, is flexiride the rubber/sponge mix? If so, it's a good surface for all round work, but can need topping up, and will need harrowing/looking after as tracks can appear very quickly. (ETS that is on a commerical yard, not private).

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
my experience of flexiride is a bit different, i've been on several yards with it and i think it works well with a fair bit of sand in the mix, then it didn't track badly at all and is fairly consistent. I'd have it myself like that, it's stable and doesn't freeze much.

you might need a heavy roller if you only put the carpety/sponge bits down as they do need to bed down to sort of mesh together. i was on one yard which had minimal sand in theirs and they would harrow the surface which was terrible and made it loose and fluffy. i am sure if they had rolled it, it would have been a lot better.

the yard with a lot of sand mixed in i used to drag the edges in and it lasted for a good while before needing redoing.

i had sand and fibre similar to clopf on my school which rode well but did need watering in dry spells. i think flexiride takes a bit of that pain away.

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
Many thanks Teapot, yes Flexiride looks like rubber/sponge. I have asked for a sample.
Sossigpoker, I got a quote from Carpet Gallop who tried to sell me their product before I even had Planning Permission!! I dismissed them as a potential immediately.
Milliepops - this is what I beginning to think, lots of sand and well rolled!
But I do wonder about the sponge element breaking down and becoming a pollutant.
Many thanks all :)
Edited to add from Flexiride site : Flexiride is manufactured from industrial strength synthetic textile and polymer materials, carefully blended with cushioning foam, providing exceptional ‘cushioning’ qualities and a secure ride.

Last edited:

Spottyappy

Visit site
I have flexiride on my arena. Really like it as a surface, though where I am is incredibly windy, and a fair bit has blown away.
However, I had a fair few issues with the company themselves.
Pm me if you wish to know more.

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
Thanks Spottyappy. I've looked at their fb page and have seen that things don't always go smoothly. I've already had a 'tiny' issue, as the promised sample package didn't arrive the first time I asked. Will bear this in mind.

Visit site
Did you not have to specify your surface when you put planning in? Personally I would go for silica and a fibre mix. We’ve had an arena and we bought the same product as flexiride (direct from the same manufacturer) and it was a complete nightmare. It ended up riding so deep, despite being told it was a stand-alone surface. We ended up with 40 tonnes of silica on top, as it refused to bed in, it was rolled, watered multiple times but never bedded in without the sand.

Madali

Visit site
I have Flexiride on a silica sand base. I’m very happy with it.
I’m in the middle of the fens and have not found it to have blown away any worse than any other surfaces that people in the area have.
I school, jump and dare I admit lunge in it and would recommend it to anyone.
I can rake it by hand if I want to tidy it up without getting the Harrow out.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have Flexiride on a silica sand base. I’m very happy with it.
I’m in the middle of the fens and have not found it to have blown away any worse than any other surfaces that people in the area have.
I school, jump and dare I admit lunge in it and would recommend it to anyone.
I can rake it by hand if I want to tidy it up without getting the Harrow out.

I did extensive research for an arena in 2017, hours and hours of research ! Especially as I had been tasked to do it for some else who was paying for it. Pressure to say the least and I was determined not to make a mistake.

Went with flexiride in the end and it is vitally important not to skimp on the mix as Madali is saying. A cheap way of doing it is 3/4 sand and 1/4 flexiride, which is what my neighbour did in 2014. I was fortunate enough to ride on it and soon realised it was dreadful. Rock hard with random flexiride dotted across it. The membrane was through in no time. The surface looks awful now and the neighbour rarely uses it.

When we did the school, our contractor did extensive drainage. He said the most issues people have with schools is insufficient drainage. The surface is 3/4 flexiride with 1/4 silica run through it. It rides very well, jumping is fine and we do lunge but not excessively and certainly not in the same spot. It was very hot when the surface went down and it was very loose. The company, who I didn't have any issues with at all, gave advice and said rain was needed. Once it had substantial rain on it, it settled completely and even in dry weather now it remains settled and there is no dust at all. I don't find it blows around at all, but my big horses did flick the surface through the post and rail. We sorted that with debris netting on the fencing pulled very taught. In hindsight, the bottom boarding needed to be at least 18 inches taller than it is.

Maintaining it is very easy, just a flat 6' gate pulled behind a vehicle does the job well, hand rake on corners. I have no idea how it would perform in commercial use, but for private use I would recommend it to anyone.

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
Many thanks for all the replies :)

Melody Grey: Agreed - there will be no wood chip!! :D

OwnedByHorses The application form has gone in with a very vague description of the surface (rubber/sand/fibre or similar). The Planning Statement however stipulates that we will conform to RCC' s preferences. We are leaving the application to the Planning Consultant as he is a local man and has had experience of the Planning Authorities around here. Apparently Rutland are more horse orientated than some Councils, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

AdorableAlice: Many thanks for all that information! Very useful. We are going to look at the Planning Consultant's school next week. It's a 7 year old Flexiride surface and he is still very pleased with it.

I am still leaning towards a sand/fibre mix. This 'dream come true' is more of a headache than I imagined lol.

winston44

Visit site
Did you not have to specify your surface when you put planning in? Personally I would go for silica and a fibre mix. We’ve had an arena and we bought the same product as flexiride (direct from the same manufacturer) and it was a complete nightmare. It ended up riding so deep, despite being told it was a stand-alone surface. We ended up with 40 tonnes of silica on top, as it refused to bed in, it was rolled, watered multiple times but never bedded in without the sand.

hi
Once you added the sand did the “flexiride” /“similar” surface bed in ok?
I have ecogrip and looking to add an inch of sand this week as I find it moves around a lot even with watering and rolling
You say you added 40 tonnes of sand, was this for a 20 x40 arena? Only asking as mine is 20 x 20 and trying to work out if one inch depth of sand would be enough? Tia

TheMule

Visit site
I used the best silica sand I could source and a premium chopped carpet- I personally don’t like fibre as find it can ride very loose, especially when dry and it sort of balls up and makes them trip. I really like my surface- I narrow it when wet and roll when dry but otherwise it really doesn’t need much maintenance

Kaylum

Visit site
Absolutely agree about the drainage dig deep and build up. It needs somewhere to drain to. Sand has always been the best surface for us. It is not good for unshod horse obviously as it works like sand paper on their hooves.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It is not good for unshod horse obviously as it works like sand paper on their hooves.

That's not my experience that sand isn't good for feet. Like tarmac, it's a good surface for wearing the feet to a good shape (unless the horse drags its toes). Feet need wear and it will be usually be replaced by growth of the horse is healthy.

frolickyhorse

New User
Visit site
I have flexiride on my arena. Really like it as a surface, though where I am is incredibly windy, and a fair bit has blown away.

Hi can I ask if you had silica sand as a base to the flexiride or sand through the top or flexiride on its own? I have a flexiride only surface and it is great but is riding deep, the base has bedded in. Been advised to put silica sand on the top to make it a firmer surface. Any advice gratefully received.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I was wondering this. I had to specify all materials when I submitted my PP.
Most councils won't allow rubber as it has such a detrimental effect on the environment. I thought I was doing the right thing and put down woodchip. Planners were v happy with this as it's kinder on the environment, but left me an arena pretty much not fit for purpose. So be sure your choice definitely suits what you do, but meets the planners conditions. I know horses need to travel on it rather than in it - some are just too deep and loose so I'd be looking at a sand/fibre type of surface.

frolickyhorse

New User
Visit site
First (and no doubt last!) time I will have an arena built. Its just gone in for Planning - fingers crossed - and it will be 25m x 40m.
I have looked through many past posts but still have no idea what surface to go for. The riding surfaces I like most are mega bucks (ie Martin Collins unwaxed) and need irrigation which could be a problem.
I don't want a waxed surface after reading posts on this forum.
The Planning Consultant, who rides himself, has suggested Flexiride.
The arena will be used by 4 ponies for general schooling, jumping at modest heights and loose schooling.
I want a more 'natural' and supportive rather than springy surface, don't want to spend more than necessary, but it has to last!
Comments/opinions appreciated....
HI, Have you decided on your surface yet?
I have Flexiride as a standalone, it has been a really good easy to maintain surface, hardly any tracking. But it is ( after a top up) riding quite deep. I would like to put silica sand through just to firm it , but would love an opinion on whether this would help sufficiently. I am trying to find an arena that has the same that I could go and look at. Thanks in advance.

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
Many thanks again for all the input.
No, I haven't decided which surface yet.
We are leaving the Application process to the Planning Consultant. He has dealt with our Planning Authority before.
I rather hope the LC says no rubber, sponge, carpet etc etc lol. (I believe there are now some limits on the use of recycled carpet, hence Carpet Gallop's heavy selling tactics.)
We are going to look at the PC's arena tomorrow. I don't know how much (if any) sand he had put in with the Flexiride. I have to say though that Equestrian Direct Ltd. (Flexiride) have been difficult to get information from. Every other company I have approached have responded helpfully. Not a good foundation to move forward on. I also don't like the fact that there is sponge in Flexiride, I assume from recycled car seats, but I don't know. The sample I was sent did not have any sponge in it. This I found rather curious too, unless of course sponge represents a low % of the total so it would be quite likely to not be present in a random small sample....

frolickyhorse

New User
Visit site
HI, Have you decided on your surface yet?
I have Flexiride as a standalone, it has been a really good easy to maintain surface, hardly any tracking. But it is ( after a top up) riding quite deep. I would like to put silica sand through just to firm it , but would love an opinion on whether this would help sufficiently. I am trying to find an arena that has the same that I could go and look at. Thanks in advance.
Many thanks again for all the input.
No, I haven't decided which surface yet.
We are leaving the Application process to the Planning Consultant. He has dealt with our Planning Authority before.
I rather hope the LC says no rubber, sponge, carpet etc etc lol. (I believe there are now some limits on the use of recycled carpet, hence Carpet Gallop's heavy selling tactics.)
We are going to look at the PC's arena tomorrow. I don't know how much (if any) sand he had put in with the Flexiride. I have to say though that Equestrian Direct Ltd. (Flexiride) have been difficult to get information from. Every other company I have approached have responded helpfully. Not a good foundation to move forward on. I also don't like the fact that there is sponge in Flexiride, I assume from recycled car seats, but I don't know. The sample I was sent did not have any sponge in it. This I found rather curious too, unless of course sponge represents a low % of the total so it would be quite likely to not be present in a random small sample....

Hi Pippin and Poppy I hope it gives you a clear idea of what you wanted, like you say it is enough stress to do it once without finding after that it is not good for you. I would be interested in your thoughts after you had looked at PC's surface, and whether he/she had a silica sand base first or flexiride with sand put through the top to stabilise. Thanks

horsemadelsie

Visit site
I have previously had woodchip, which I know has some terrible horror stories, but it was ok for me as it was all I could afford at the time, and there was minimal drainage and it never flooded. It was down for 9 years and never topped up, I didn't often jump on it (or canter in the end), but for light use it was ok. Have now had a new arena put in- I tried to have flexiride on top of sand but the company were extremely unhelpful and had a huge waiting list among other issues, so last minute I had to change to a rubber topping and so far its great (plus I'm in a very windy area so heavier rubber is better).
One great piece of advice I received from the company who did it was to pick a surface that you've ridden on before and found to be good- if it's a surface your horse is used to working on then you know you'll get along with it no problems. Another is if you go for a sand based one get the best equestrian silica sand that you can, because this makes all the difference. Deciding on the surface is the hardest part, good luck x

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
Hi Pippin and Poppy I hope it gives you a clear idea of what you wanted, like you say it is enough stress to do it once without finding after that it is not good for you. I would be interested in your thoughts after you had looked at PC's surface, and whether he/she had a silica sand base first or flexiride with sand put through the top to stabilise. Thanks

Just back from viewing an approx 10 year old Flexiride arena surface and am more confused than ever. Confusion is mostly related to cost saving. My 1st choice would be sand and fibre. PC's surface has been long lasting and receives very little maintenance although it is used pretty often by 3/4 horses. It provides PC and his wife with a surface they are happy with. PC says they use it for schooling, dressage, jumping up to around 90 cm, ground work etc. They both compete. It won't allow for the sliding needed in some Western styles of riding.
A show jumping friend of his says it would not suit her.
His surface is only Flexiride, there's no sand. It would ride deep as it is and its hard to know to what extent regular rolling would improve this.
To look at it is positively horrid! Bits of sponge, chopped up carpet in 'biggish' pieces. PC says it doesn't blow away!
*sigh*

frolickyhorse

New User
Visit site
Hi I would like to know more about the surface you have and how its made up? ( base and whether you have sand in it)
Thanks