Over due GSP bitch...

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
She’s on day 67 today ?
I have taken her to the vets this afternoon, they said there is no signs of dilation and that he couldn’t feel any puppies But probably because her stomach was firm and if nothing over the weekend to take her back Monday for an X-ray.
She had a scan 25 days ago and it confirmed At least 8 puppies.
Shes off her food the last three days, she still eating but will leave it and come back to it, which is very unlike her as she’s very food motivated. She’s been losing a bit of clear mucus yesterday and today, she was nesting a bit last night and she’s got milk.
I’m really panicking now that she’s absorbed all the puppies and is just going through the motions ?
Any experiences similar? Is there any hope?

Aru

Visit site
Can you get her scanned?
Check for heartbeats. See if they look fully developed or not.
That said there is a 5 day leeway with dogs from cover to implantation. 63 days gestation is an average number not a set in stone timeframe. Are you counting due date based on day covered? Was she covered more then once?

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Can you get her scanned?
Check for heartbeats. See if they look fully developed or not.
That said there is a 5 day leeway with dogs from cover to implantation. 63 days gestation is an average number not a set in stone timeframe. Are you counting due date based on day covered? Was she covered more then once?

She was covered on the 1st and 3rd of June. the vet said he didn’t want to mess with her too much yesterday because it was so hot in the surgery. He didn’t even take her temp for that reason. I asked for a scan and He said to give her the weekend and if nothing then he’ll X-ray her on Monday to see how developed the puppies are. I’m worried because she’s been off her food since Tuesday just eating small amounts. She is drinking but she’s been sick today. She’s on day 68 from first mating today. I’m worried sick to be honest. X

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
We mated on May 30/June 1 and pups were born overnight July 28/29.
Hoping everything is OK xxx could you get a second opinion? We lost a litter years back because there was one big one obstructing the rest and the vet at the time was a bit too laid back about it. My mother still curses him decades later.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I would be worried too in your shoes and wanting her seen asap. I have had sheep that I would have sworn were lambing but just not getting on with it and it usually turned out that there was a problem, malpresentation most commonly which stopped them going into obvious labour because the lamb couldn't be born. If the baby is in totally the wrong position and can't move into the birth canal they won't dilate or that is my experience with sheep.

Last edited:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Have you checked her temperature yourself? Has it dropped from her normal temperature? According to the info in the article in the link, if it goes a bit up and down, it could be a sign of that she lacks enough calcium to go into labour https://www.dogbreedinginformation.com/using-a-whelping-temperature-chart-to-predict-whelping-date/

Is it the only veterinarian in your village/city/reasonably within your reachable area? In your shoes, I would at least be phoning either your usual veterinarian with today's info, or another veterinarian for a second opinion. I would possibly also want to take her to be seen/scanned by a veterinarian, even if it meant having to drive a bit further because your usual veterinarian isn't helpful.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
That was the news I was hoping not to hear.:( Devastation for you and her and anyone hoping for a pup. Hopefully she should be fine, at least with dogs a cesarean is pretty straightforward. Our farm bitch had pups unexpectedly, two alive, one dead then became very ill the following day. Took her to vet and they operated. She had another one stuck and another beyond that, both dead. She had her womb removed so I had to feed the pups for a couple of days till her milk came in. She and pups were fine.
Hoping for good news about her later.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Thank you everyone. It’s been a horrible couple of days. It’s so sad, I can’t bring myself to take the whelping box down yet. She’s back home now and on the mend. They managed to save her womb by clearing it out but it was a long procedure and she’s really sore. The vet said he’d never seen anything quite like it and doesn’t have an explanation. They all died between 4 and 6 weeks of gestation ? xx

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Thank you. The vet has said she’s in perfect health and it was just ‘one of those things’ and he’s pretty sure if she was to have a litter again it wouldn’t be the same outcome although she’ll have to be monitored closely. So we are just going to see how we feel and how she goes in the next couple of years xx