Over reach boots for dustbin lid size feet

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Any idea how big extra large over reach boots are please ? The bonkers cart horse is in need of OR boots for when he is turned out with his naughty brother. They play so hard the cart horse pings his shoes off. The naughty brother is coming back into work now and will be shod next week. I foresee a front shoe slinging competition going on.

I don't have a decent local tack shop so will be buying on line, so any thoughts on brand and sizing would be helpful. Horse is Shire x and has big feet. Many thanks.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We ended up getting two pairs of boots for the Draught mare, one pair for each leg :) They were the ones which fastened with velcro but we only used them for Hi-Viznes, so not sure that they would stand up to being worn in the field

2K85

Visit site
My ID mare wears the Lemieux ones with the fleece round the top for school work- I found they came up smaller than expected and she needs extra large in those (wears large in other brands) so imagine Shire x feet might be XXL. My friend has a serial shoe-thrower (it’s his passion in life) in the same and finds them very secure and he’s no longer losing shoes in the field like it’s going out of fashion.

Louby

Visit site
I found the bog standard brands arent overly big. Used to use Shires XL on my ID x with not massive feet. My current horse who is more TB has them in Large and for turnout I stick an XL pair over the top too! Lemieux in large fit her great too so IMO definately go for the biggest they do.
I did buy some neoprene Horze ones once in XXL for a previous horse and they were massive in depth and width.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I did buy some neoprene Horze ones once in XXL for a previous horse and they were massive in depth and width.

can confirm that these are like lightshades. I bought some on recommendation as my cob wears XL in lemieux and they just about fit, the Horze ones were enormous!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I used to use two Westropp on each foot. Added advantage that you usually only lose a petal, not the whole boot, and can set them really low over the heels of the shoe.

Floxie

Visit site
I just found my Westropps in a box of old stuff - I used to use them for my Shire x too (wish I'd thought to add another strap though, duh!). Very tempted to bring them back into use, I love the clackety-clack!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Thank you for all the help. I don't think the flappy clacky jobs would be wise on Ted The Twit. Given his current appalling behaviour he might find himself hobbled and skewered very soon.

Reactions: SEL

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thank you for all the help. I don't think the flappy clacky jobs would be wise on Ted The Twit. Given his current appalling behaviour he might find himself hobbled and skewered very soon.
😂 looking back I’m really surprised horses just put up with them! Nowadays I’d worry my horses would object to the racket!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
These worked really well for my friend’s horse that used to play hard and rip his shoes off on an almost daily basis (before she discovered these)
http://www.shoesecure.com/TheSolution.aspx

That is an innovative product, probably aimed at the athletic horse rather than a slightly special needs cart horse. I squished him into a borrowed pair of XXL Shires brand, over reach boots this morning. The velcro just met and the bottom didn't cover the heel of the shoe. Those who have followed Teds thread from foalhood will know he is a little 'different' and has posed me a fair few problems with anxiety and handling.

He is 8 this year and reasonably safe as long as he knows you. He was 5 before he let me brush his legs without issues, but I can now clip them out, which I did on Sunday, so putting over reach boots wouldn't be an issue - would it.......of course not, he stood there in his barn munching his haynet without so much as a look down. Then he moved and exploded upwards, followed by a cart horse impression of a cat who had stepped in a puddle. Ted The Twit lives up to his name yet again.

SEL

Visit site
That is an innovative product, probably aimed at the athletic horse rather than a slightly special needs cart horse. I squished him into a borrowed pair of XXL Shires brand, over reach boots this morning. The velcro just met and the bottom didn't cover the heel of the shoe. Those who have followed Teds thread from foalhood will know he is a little 'different' and has posed me a fair few problems with anxiety and handling.

He is 8 this year and reasonably safe as long as he knows you. He was 5 before he let me brush his legs without issues, but I can now clip them out, which I did on Sunday, so putting over reach boots wouldn't be an issue - would it.......of course not, he stood there in his barn munching his haynet without so much as a look down. Then he moved and exploded upwards, followed by a cart horse impression of a cat who had stepped in a puddle. Ted The Twit lives up to his name yet again.

Ah - I've missed your stories about Ted. Only came on this thread for a catch up!!!

I wish I could draw. I have a great picture in my head of your exploding cart horse wondering what evil object you've tied to his legs :p