Overcoming riding fear - what's your song?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There have been a couple of mentions recently of singing to overcome fear. I once jumped a SJ round, (indoors, with an audience!) , singing 'I'm a pink toothbrush, you're a blue toothbrush'.

Showing my age, I also sing 'whenever I feel afraid, I whistle a happy tune'.

What's your song you sing when you are afraid?

Horsekaren

Visit site
mine is pure cheese.... his name is strawberry.

So i edited you are my sunshine

"you are my strawberry
my only strawberry
you make me happy
when you behave
you never know dear
how much i love you
so please strawberry, behave today"

:D

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
There have been a couple of mentions recently of singing to overcome fear. I once jumped a SJ round, (indoors, with an audience!) , singing 'I'm a pink toothbrush, you're a blue toothbrush'.

Love this! Might deploy it later, Salty's first solo hack is scheduled this afternoon :p

Sandy200

Visit site
When crossing the motorway bridge near us, where the sides never seem quite high enough to me, cant help singing “London bridge is falling down, falling down”. Not sure that is very helpful!

Antw23uk

Visit site
ABBA - Thank you for the music. I am neither a girl or a girl with golden hair though but I like the song and know the words!

Or whatever song is going round in my head that day driving me nuts (there is usually a song going round in my head driving me nuts!)

Alibear

Visit site
10 green bottles although that doesn't last long enough so I start at 99. When I last used it on a hack it became 99 killer green pigeons sitting in a tree etc...

mairiwick

Visit site
I used to sing "don't worry, be happy" - although think that made me worse!

One of my instructors has me singing the chorus of Yellow Submarine when I am jumping - that worked better!

SEL

Visit site
When crossing the motorway bridge near us, where the sides never seem quite high enough to me, cant help singing “London bridge is falling down, falling down”. Not sure that is very helpful!

This made me chuckle! When I was about 13 one of the local riding schools used to go a busy dual carriageway to get to the hacking routes. I have vertigo and hated it. Much to my miother's annoyance I demanded to go to a riding school further away just to avoid it.

My song of choice is 10 green bottles. When my mare was young I tended to start at 100..... We're about to introduce her to a new hacking route with a big open field that involves 15 minutes on roads to get there. I'm thinking around 200 green bottles should do it.

The rugby was on once when I was schooling a youngster and that got a very tuneless version of 'the world in union'. I'm pretty sure it started behaving just to shut me up.

Carrottom

Visit site
Three blind mice, sung at full volume if the baby cows are running the other side of the hedge.
For something a little longer, either There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza, or Morning has broken.

ironhorse

Visit site
For my horse that used to see monsters in every hedge line, songs about monsters
If I started on the power ballads, especially anything by Foreigner, he knew I was nervous too, so that could be a bit counterproductive :D

skint1

Visit site
I always sing "There is a Tavern in the Town" except at Christmas when I sing Jingle Bells or Holly and the Ivy or Away in the Manger :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Muppet song, muh nurm a num ner ner nee ner ner...... or the theme tune from Rhubard and Custard......

But for hill work, if Im cantering v fast intentionally, I like to bellow (if on own) a bit of Bon Jovi - living on a prayer :D

( a good one for those a bit nervous & wanting to do a steady trot, is the Hymn 'At the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow' - its a fab trotting pace hymn :) )

Bernster

Visit site
Hmm I need a new one, at the moment I'm sj counting out loud 1-2-3-4. Very dull!

I can never remember the words but have been known to warble very badly - Nellie the elephant, hotel California, American pie and, a bit more up to date, take me to church by the Hoosiers as I can remember some of the words to that. If hacking alone I put a playlist on but more to keep me company than for nerves as only really get nervous jumping.

Yubbie

Visit site
Bohemian Rhapsody for me as I actually can remember all the words and as it's a long song with lots of key changes it keeps my attention...the head banging bit is useful to tie in with a change of pace!!!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
All things bright and beautiful

If working on trot rhythm then I do 'ah one two three four, keep it up two three four...' like the elephants in the jungle book

Merrymoles

Visit site
If I want him to slow down from his manic march, it's the Laurel and Hardy theme or a slow version of Barwick Green, the Archers theme tune. Generally it is "in the summertime, when the weather is fine, we go hacking, we go hacking all the time"...

If I've been watching the Six Nations he might get a burst of "swing low, sweet chariot" or "we were singing hymns and arias" and it's always carols at Christmas. My usual hacking companion has the patience of a saint and now tells me to sing if she sees my horse getting het up!

Annagain

Visit site
I will survive. Very empowering song. Makes me feel pretty invincible!

A friend swears by the Sun Has Got His Hat On. She says you feel too silly to be scared!