Overnight charge for keeping little dogs at my home

{97702}

Visit site
Thanks for the reminder CT I have just done that as well - never has there been a more appropriately named forum user, she is completely (to use an appropriate AAD metaphor) barking....

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Local council, don't make me laff, I am not an unlicensed kennels or breeding operation.

I run a home boarding (not kennels operation), offering day care and overnight provision. I have to be licensed and insured to operate within the law - because I charge people. I assess dogs before agreeing to have them and inform potential clients of the costs before either party agrees to services.

If you are simply doing a favour for a friend then obviously you don't charge them. If you're not then do things properly and legally.

As for offending people by saying you don't want their dogs - don't worry about it. Diplomacy is the key. I've said no to three dogs I've assessed and several that have never got to that stsge and none of the owners were offended.

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As amymay says, people offering home boarding do have to be licensed and meet quite stringent conditions if they are charging . I think perhaps you need to make this your last home boarding exercise unless you are prepared to comply with the regulations.

s4sugar

Visit site
As amymay says, people offering home boarding do have to be licensed and meet quite stringent conditions if they are charging . I think perhaps you need to make this your last home boarding exercise unless you are prepared to comply with the regulations.

Also your home insurance will be invalid if you don't tell them you are doing this.
I have a licence but the requirements do vary from area to area. Here it is very limited, next council allows twice as many for a lower fee. Owners insurance is invalid if they pay to board at unlicensed premises.

CAYLA

Visit site
Somebody here near me has been fined £500 for home boarding without a licence and she said it was only her friends dogs and was a one off. She still got fined.
It came to head when her friends dog was injured in her care. Friend or no friend she wanted vet bills paying and the boarder in question had no licence or insurance so she contacted the council and reported her friend.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Somebody here near me has been fined £500 for home boarding without a licence and she said it was only her friends dogs and was a one off. She still got fined.
It came to head when her friends dog was injured in her care. Friend or no friend she wanted vet bills paying and the boarder in question had no licence or insurance so she contacted the council and reported her friend.

That's nice, not sure why people get so intense about things which do not concern them and there is no question of lack of facilities etc etc,
My SIL still has a cat or two who came for a week and stayed, she did cat sitting for years, mostly visiting in their own homes, which is what I originally suggested, the owner agreed to pay any bills, for food and for vet.

PucciNPoni

Visit site

Some friend!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
That's nice, not sure why people get so intense about things which do not concern them and there is no question of lack of facilities etc etc,
My SIL still has a cat or two who came for a week and stayed, she did cat sitting for years, mostly visiting in their own homes, which is what I originally suggested, the owner agreed to pay any bills, for food and for vet.

Bonkers-you posted what you are doing on a public forum, people are allowed to reply. Besides, they are trying to be helpful and point out what could go wrong and how you might find yourself in trouble.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Quite, people aren't getting intense about it they are just trying to avoid you getting yourself into hot water Bonkers, particularly as you seem to have enough issues with your other business without adding to them.
I dont understand given the issues you have had with some of your gardening clients paying and the stress it causes you why you have allowed these dogs to stay without a payment agreement in place?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Quite, people aren't getting intense about it they are just trying to avoid you getting yourself into hot water Bonkers, particularly as you seem to have enough issues with your other business without adding to them.
I dont understand given the issues you have had with some of your gardening clients paying and the stress it causes you why you have allowed these dogs to stay without a payment agreement in place?

Well, these people are trustworthy, that is the difference, it was all done in a rush to be honest, I think its best not to charge as gunnerdog is going to report me, for reasons best known to himself. Good luck with that!
Anyway thanks for the replies I got, which clarified things.
I can easily add animal care to my insurance, but any insurance will not just hand out cash on demand, and there is always an excess / surcharge, so best I let them to agree that they will take care of any untoward costs and if they don't like it they can take pooches to kennels, where once again they will not find it easy to get any vet bills paid.
A lot of people look after animals when their owners are way, often not as part of a business, and I doubt HMCE ever see many of those transactions.

Last edited:

s4sugar

Visit site
Well, these people are trustworthy, that is the difference, it was all done in a rush to be honest, I think its best not to charge as gunnerdog is going to report me, for reasons best known to himself. Good luck with that!
Anyway thanks for the replies I got which clarified things.
I can easily add animal care to my insurance, but any insurance will not just hand on cash on demand, and there is always an excess / surcharge, so best I let them sign that they will take care of any untoward costs and if they don't like it they can take pooches to kennels, where once again they will not find it easy to get any vet bills paid.
A lot of people look after animals when their owners area way, often not as part of a business, and I doubt HMCE ever see many of those transactions.
My boarding insurance covers vets bills for any condition that occurs whist boarding (obviously not pre existing conditions the same as any policy) with no excess.
Only made three claims in over 25 years - last one was a 14 year old cat that had a stroke, he came round and lived another 2 years.
A lot of people look after friends animals but they don't charge for it.
Once you charge for pets away from their home you need a licence.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I have looked after a few dogs in my time, and likewise I have asked friends to look after mine.

I have always offered money for the latter, and depending on the person's situation it was either taken or not - but a fee was always agreed up front and that was fine. As for me looking after other people's dogs. I'm not a home boarder by trade or even for pin money. I would do it only for people and dogs I like, and which I know will not be a royal pain to look after. They have to fit in with my own. I do it because I can, not because I want or need the money. I would hope that if something should happen to their dog while in my care that they would not then turn around and report me for doing a favour! I would not expect to pay veterinary treatment for injuries unless I knew I caused it somehow.

ribbons

Visit site
Bonkers, I'm not surprised you struggle to earn enough to be liable for tax, I'm only surprised you have any customers at all. Gardening is one thing, but I can't understand why anyone would leave their pet in the care of a **** and tintacks set up with no insurance and an obvious dislike of the animal in question.
That's over and above the fact you are breaking the law.
Never mind the possible vet bill issue, what do you plan to do should the snappy aggressive one manage to bite someone.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Bonkers, I mean this nicely, but if you don't want the dogs again, or like them then tell the owner. I would hate for my dog to be with someone who didn't really want him about especially if I was paying for the privilege.

Spot on if I was expecting to pay some one to look after my dogs and I saw that person posting in the terms you are I would be furious .
It's unprofessional and thats because you are not a professional .
Do you have the dogs in your home with the feral cat ?
Get a grip .
Your comments about picking up the poo show you totally unsuited to do this.
If one of those dogs bites someone on your watch you are liable .
BOnkers I know things are hard put stop jumping from disaster to the next , why on earth would you take the dogs before you had all the details sorted out .
I have my head in my hands .

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Well. Someone suggested I change my business model, and someone else suggested I get a job .................
The dogs are under my control at all times, they wont bite someone, they are not pit bulls.
I asked how much to charge overnight, instead I get an inquisition.
Cat and dogs are not sharing a bed. They are used to cats.

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Last edited:

ribbons

Visit site
Short of the low life in the back streets of towns and cities, no one intends the dog in their care to bite anyone, yet, it happens on a regular basis according to the news, which only reports the serious attacks, and frighteningly they are all to many. It doesn't need to be a pit bull, a nip from a chihuahua could land the owner/carer in deep water these days. You said yourself you wore thick gloves to handle the dog because it could be aggressive.
As for under your control at all times, no one can guarantee that, accidental escapes happen.

I can't decide if you are sat at home making up stories about gardening and dogs etc to deliberately get a rise out of forum members, for entertainment purposes/because you're a fantasist,
or whether you are totally unhinged and its all actually happening, in which case the people who entrust their property and pets with you must be equally bonkers.

{97702}

Visit site
Short of the low life in the back streets of towns and cities, no one intends the dog in their care to bite anyone, yet, it happens on a regular basis according to the news, which only reports the serious attacks, and frighteningly they are all to many. It doesn't need to be a pit bull, a nip from a chihuahua could land the owner/carer in deep water these days. You said yourself you wore thick gloves to handle the dog because it could be aggressive.
As for under your control at all times, no one can guarantee that, accidental escapes happen.

I can't decide if you are sat at home making up stories about gardening and dogs etc to deliberately get a rise out of forum members, for entertainment purposes/because you're a fantasist,
or whether you are totally unhinged and its all actually happening, in which case the people who entrust their property and pets with you must be equally bonkers.

Slightly relieved I'm not the only one to come up with these two options....I was beginning to think it was just me....

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well. Someone suggested I change my business model, and someone else suggested I get a job .................
The dogs are under my control at all times, they wont bite someone, they are not pit bulls.
I asked how much to charge overnight, instead I get an inquisition.
Cat and dogs are not sharing a bed. They are used to cats.

You know Bonkers2 I sadly begin to think no hope you are a troll .

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site

I am perfectly happy to have them again, [I have been to see them today and they were all over me], I just don't want to take them without recompense, as they need lots of attention and I need to re-arrange my life to accommodate them.
The worst case scenario [15 days with me] may not occur, as I assume the recent visit was a one off emergency.
I can apply for a lisence in the meantime,

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Looking at local authority website, I do not seem to need pp, and as I say, it must be something new, as it was not needed when I worked in Licensing.
To my mind, a social media website is not the real world, more of a sounding board.....

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/business/licences/animals/boarding-animals

Ive just had a look at my council just out of interest and was staggered to see they charge this and it covers home boarding, admittedly this is the first licence and would be cheaper the following year but am amazed. There is no sliding scale so if you kenneled 200 dogs a week or just 1 the fee would be the same.

Bonkers, who is your local council as someone could probably look it up for you?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/business/licences/animals/boarding-animals

Ive just had a look at my council just out of interest and was staggered to see they charge this and it covers home boarding, admittedly this is the first licence and would be cheaper the following year but am amazed. There is no sliding scale so if you kenneled 200 dogs a week or just 1 the fee would be the same.

Bonkers, who is your local council as someone could probably look it up for you?

Does not surprise me at all, licensing is a just licence to print money, nothing more than that, and when it comes to ethics, well, don't start me, corruption too.
I looked it up, they don't show a need for pp, so I do not need to apply.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I did think if they haven't asked you already re the wedding, and assuming it is something they have had planned for a long time, I wouldn't presume they want you to have the dogs for that.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I did think if they haven't asked you already re the wedding, and assuming it is something they have had planned for a long time, I wouldn't presume they want you to have the dogs for that.

correct, ... or it might have been a "trial", anyway I think I will be away for a few days in September, so it will not be possible.