pads in hoof boots

amandaco2

Visit site
My horses frogs could do with improving as well as the heel/back of the hoof. I've been looking at pads to provide stimulation and pressure to this area whilst they wear hoof boots for road work/stoney tracks but just wonder which are good? Will a super soft conforming pad be best or one with a raised area where the frog is?
I was looking at the pads for the easyboot cloud, they look like they wont slip or twist....

WindyStacks

Visit site
Forget the pads and crack on with the movement.

Are you using a farrier who is leaving the wall to act as a "shoe" or are you using a barefoot trimmer?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I used the high density foam camping mats and cut pads out of those and they worked okay. They don't last long but it's so cheap and easy to cut another set.

amandaco2

Visit site
Yes he needs pads atm as his hooves are sensitive
he has no digital pulses. Hes been on box rest for a month.
the farrier trimmed him as per xrays but hes sensitive on stones. Normally he can be alittle footy on them but atm he needs pads to be comfortable.
forgot to say hes been in for laminitis and newly diagnosed cushings

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not an expert by any means, but I've got Easyboot pads in my cavallo boots for this reason. I'm pretty sure mine are the 12mm medium pads and they have moulded to the shape of my horses feet well- there's a nice imprint of her frog and heels :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Although they are more expensive, the pads made for the boots are best. They have been carefully trialled and manufactured for the purpose of helping the hoof. They come in different thicknesses and densities. They last a long time too.

supsup

Visit site
I've used the black (medium density) pads from Easycare, both in the 12mm and 6mm versions. I would stay away from domed pads (i.e. ones that are thicker in the middle) as you may put more pressure on the centre of the hoof than your horse is ready for. The regular foam pads compress under most weight-bearing parts of the hoof anyway (heels, hoof wall, frog if it makes ground contact), remaining thicker in the other areas. I have found that the 12mm ones last a bit longer because they don't fully compress. The 6mm ones are pretty quickly squished down under heels/hoof wall to a 1-2mm thickness, and then start wearing through from friction. This is not necessarily a bad thing, in fact when I've been using the pads in Gloves, I didn't really want to the hoof to be lifted inside the boot. The pads still help stimulate the sole/frog, even if they are squished around the rim.
BUT - Easycare brand pads are ridiculously expensive for what you get. I eventually bought EVA foam mats (those recommended on the laminitis site) instead of the Easycare 12mm pads to use on my old mare with Cushings. Worked perfectly well, and I got four huge sheets to cut new ones from once they wore out.
It took me longer to find thinner EVA foam mats to use in Gloves, but have just come across baby play mats at 7.5mm thickness. I haven't received them yet, so will have to see how soft/firm they are, and how long they last. Still, for £5 I won't have lost much.