Panorama tonight - racing industry and slaughterhouses

Marigold4

Visit site
Not sure I can bear to watch but apparently it exposes the fact that thousands (yes it says thousands) of racehorses, including many young horses and previously successful horses, are sent to slaughterhouses each year. When will action be taken to stop this cruel and awful wastage in this industry? Never - because the betting industry is too powerful? At least something is being said in the programme about the dark side of what actually goes on. It's too often swept under the carpet and the general public's perception is that racing is a fun day out with lovely hats.

minesadouble

Visit site
I know it seems harsh but a lot are better off going straight to the slaughterhouse than passed from pillar to post among a bunch of well meaning idiots.
We've just had someone at our livery yard buy one as a first pony for their 12 year old daughter, that's going well as I'm sure you can imagine!!
I have had 4 ex racehorses in the past and they've all been lovely animals but in general they are not a mug's companion.
I also never quite understand why there's a huge uproar about horses going for humane dispatch from non-vegetarians.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Apparently the slaughterhouses are not giving them a clean death and that is the main point of the documentary.
This. The slaughterhouse is apparently not killing them all of clean and per proper practice. Some horses are being shot from from a distance, and some with other horses present. They are being caused unnecessary stress, pain and suffering.

'The footage recorded horses being shot together 26 times over the four days of filming.

On 91 occasions the cameras recorded a slaughterman shooting horses, not close up, but from a distance.'

I've no problem with well run slaughterhouses.

How on earth do poor practices still remain in the industry?

Horse racing: Thousands of racehorses killed in slaughterhouses https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57881979

Goldenstar

Visit site
While I would wish that no horse ended it life being PTS in a abattoir there are far worse things that can happen to TB’s .
They are wonderful horses and cheap to buy but they are more likely than not going to be expensive to maintain when they end in the hands of those to inexperienced to train them and or with out the financial resource to manage their preventative healthcare their suffering is sometimes acute but often long term and chronic .
I hope it’s a balanced piece not a it’s terrible to shoot the pretty horses thing , it is terrible to shoot beautiful young animals but what may face them in the hands of inexperienced numpties might well be worse .

Marigold4

Visit site
While I would wish that no horse ended it life being PTS in a abattoir there are far worse things that can happen to TB’s .
They are wonderful horses and cheap to buy but they are more likely than not going to be expensive to maintain when they end in the hands of those to inexperienced to train them and or with out the financial resource to manage their preventative healthcare their suffering is sometimes acute but often long term and chronic .
I hope it’s a balanced piece not a it’s terrible to shoot the pretty horses thing , it is terrible to shoot beautiful young animals but what may face them in the hands of inexperienced numpties might well be worse .
I agree but what could be done to stop the mistreatment you describe in your post? Surely it's not right to allow this and then say a clean death is a good end for these horses. I think the general public have no idea what goes on behind the scenes - I've heard a number of non-horsey people say "but the horses love it".

cauda equina

Visit site

Marigold4

Visit site
As has been said - it sounds as if many of the deaths are far from clean
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ng-sent-to-abattoirs-bbc-investigation-claims
I would have no argument with unwanted TBs being put down at home, like a lot of us do
You'd think the cost of euthanasia and removal would be small beer compared to the expense of keeping a horse in training

It's worth considering WHY so many (thousands apparently) are in a situation that necessitates them being put down. Poor training that results in injury, not fast enough, ridden too young. Wouldn't it be better to address the cause of their being not rideable and take action rather than just say there are many worse things for a horse than PTS. The "worse things" need to be stopped. It will soon be the case that horses are considered sentient beings under the law. Animal Welfare Act. let's hope that changes things for the better.

cauda equina

Visit site
Even if the poor training/ridden too young problems were sorted there would always be many horses who were not fast enough
I don't know what should be done with them, assuming there are more than can be found suitable homes doing other jobs

Goldenstar

Visit site
Of course it’s a small cost .
But a lot of these horses won’t be with the trainers when the decision is made to end their lives .

I agree but what could be done to stop the mistreatment you describe in your post? Surely it's not right to allow this and then say a clean death is a good end for these horses. I think the general public have no idea what goes on behind the scenes - I've heard a number of non-horsey people say "but the horses love it".

Nothing can be done about happens to horses out in the world until will we face up to the fact that horses cost a lot of money to maintain and you need knowledge to do it well .
Insurance is only a partial answer .
It’s has become unacceptable to say you can’t afford a horse you can only afford it of nothing goes wrong , you don’t ride well enough , you can’t afford anything except good luck with the journey health and maintenance wise , it is irresponsible to buy a fat horse and keep it on grass livery with no plan to get it to and maintain a healthy weight .I could go on and on .
Nothing is going to change while its unacceptable to point out the difficulties of managing horses .

Its all very well for Panorama to whip a brouhaha about the evil rich racehorses owners /trainers and yes racing does have a case to answer .
But just imagine if they set to on the suffering caused to leisure horses by obesity and it’s roll in orthopaedic damage early life lameness and being bunged in fields to get fat because the insurance has run out and then we get to laminitis all of that unnecessary suffering .
Because there’s really not a lot of difference .

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
It's worth considering WHY so many (thousands apparently) are in a situation that necessitates them being put down. Poor training that results in injury, not fast enough, ridden too young. Wouldn't it be better to address the cause of their being not rideable and take action rather than just say there are many worse things for a horse than PTS. The "worse things" need to be stopped. It will soon be the case that horses are considered sentient beings under the law. Animal Welfare Act. let's hope that changes things for the better.

Whilst I agree a horse put down “humanely” including at a well run slaughter house is better off than one that falls into the wrong hands and lives a miserable life we should question why there is so much wastage in the industry. I think most of us here do know why and perhaps it’s time 18 month / 2yr olds are not allowed to be ridden let alone raced. There is simply no need.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
As has been said - it sounds as if many of the deaths are far from clean
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ng-sent-to-abattoirs-bbc-investigation-claims
I would have no argument with unwanted TBs being put down at home, like a lot of us do
You'd think the cost of euthanasia and removal would be small beer compared to the expense of keeping a horse in training

It sounds to me as if the scandal is in the slaughterhouse, which is where it should be addressed.
The 'wastage' within the racing industry is dreadful but as said there are far worse things that can happen to a horse than a clean death. Owners should be prepared to pay for failed racers to be shot at home and trainers should make that clear from the outset. 'Out of sight, out of mind' is far too easy for owners who are not hands on

Marigold4

Visit site
Whilst I agree a horse put down “humanely” including at a well run slaughter house is better off than one that falls into the wrong hands and lives a miserable life we should question why there is so much wastage in the industry. I think most of us here do know why and perhaps it’s time 18 month / 2yr olds are not allowed to be ridden let alone raced. There is simply no need.
I totally 100% agree about two year olds racing. The need arises, I think, because you then don't have to pay for the animal's keep till it is 4. It really needs to be stopped. I'm pretty sure if a private owner was galloping a succession of two year olds around in intensive training someone would have something to say. Why is it OK for racing to do this.

cauda equina

Visit site
It sounds to me as if the scandal is in the slaughterhouse, which is where it should be addressed.
The 'wastage' within the racing industry is dreadful but as said there are far worse things that can happen to a horse than a clean death. Owners should be prepared to pay for failed racers to be shot at home and trainers should make that clear from the outset. 'Out of sight, out of mind' is far too easy for owners who are not hands on
Well yes in part, but even before they reach the slaughterhouse someone has made the decision to ship injured horses across the Irish Sea
I very much agree that pts should be done at home, or as close to home as possible, and that owners should be made to do the right thing by their horses

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
There are fates worse than death, like being passed around broken by unscrupulous people or starved by the do-gooders that have no idea what they are doing or these ‘rescues’ that end up inflicting more long term suffering.

If anything it will hopefully make the slaughterhouses sharpen up and more efficient.

It’s not just the racing industry that has two year olds ridden. I see adverts for horses being ridden/driven at two and three on Facebook constantly. The whole equine industry is doing it but until there Is no money in it then it won’t stop.

4yr old event horse classes With the schooling and clean jumping style they have? Really? Like that’s only been broken that year? No it was broken at three and has been schooled and jumped. How is that any less damaging than racing? Can’t dump it all on the racing industry SJ DR and eventing dump their dead weight as well.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I have no issue with horses being euthanised. The two main issues for me are 1) quality of life while alive, and 2) method of death. Shipping live animals for slaughter should be illegal, and the already stringent laws for abattoirs should be enforced (were these abattoirs non-UK? If so, even more reason not to ship animals abroad)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Reflecting on recent threads where people who are barely overweight are vilified for riding a mature up to weight horse and yet seem quite comfortable with some practices in the racing industry. I’m not anti-racing per se but I do think it should be modernised with regard to animal welfare practices in some areas.

I don’t think riding a two year old in any sphere is OK. I don’t think there should be any four year old classes in any sphere either as this just encourages people to ride horses and train them hard too early. I agree it’s not just a racing thing but if more care were taken in early years maybe more could go on to have useful second careers.

meleeka

Visit site
There are fates worse than death, like being passed around broken by unscrupulous people or starved by the do-gooders that have no idea what they are doing or these ‘rescues’ that end up inflicting more long term suffering.

If anything it will hopefully make the slaughterhouses sharpen up and more efficient.

It’s not just the racing industry that has two year olds ridden. I see adverts for horses being ridden/driven at two and three on Facebook constantly. The whole equine industry is doing it but until there Is no money in it then it won’t stop.

4yr old event horse classes With the schooling and clean jumping style they have? Really? Like that’s only been broken that year? No it was broken at three and has been schooled and jumped. How is that any less damaging than racing? Can’t dump it all on the racing industry SJ DR and eventing dump their dead weight as well.

“Two wrongs don’t make a right”.

The fact that there horses were bred to make people very rich should ensure that they at least receive a calm a dignified end. Of course there’s unbelievable cruelty to horses in all walks of life, but it doesn’t excuse this.

tristar

Visit site
what pxsses me off is the reverence in which some of these racehorse people are held, sorry if anyone does not like my opinion but they need to go and learn something about horses because from where i`m standing they are pretty useless, from personal experience

there should be public uproar and disgrace out of this and i hope there is, i hope they are made to take stick for their ignorance once and for all forced to change policies, there are too many mediocre tb used for breeding, management is poor, training is poor, welfare is poor too many who have no clue of one end of a horse from the other, and i have seen it myself, personal experience sadly

Matafleur

Visit site

In defence of the eventing young horse classes, I, as a really not very good amateur was able to take a horse broken in the spring of her 4 yr old year and do reasonably well at BYEH. It's no problem for pros to take a quality young horse and make it look very impressive at that level in a couple of months.

I'm not saying there aren't horses that are broken at 3 and doing these classes but there will be plenty there that haven't done a great deal at all.

Goldenstar

Visit site
“Two wrongs don’t make a right”.

The fact that there horses were bred to make people very rich should ensure that they at least receive a calm a dignified end. Of course there’s unbelievable cruelty to horses in all walks of life, but it doesn’t excuse this.

Of course it should and if you can’t afford to give a horse a dignified end don’t buy one

TheMule

Visit site
At the very least I hope this will result in the abattoir either getting its act together or losing its license

You really think that? You want the only slaughterhouse in the UK to shut? You want the horses to travel hound reds, potentially thousands more miles to a much less regulated slaughterhouse abroad?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i wont be watching....i am not against slaughtering animals but am very against it being done in a cruel way. i include sheep, pigs, cattle, chickens, deer and horses.... all of them can feel fear and distress and more needs to be done to make sure all slaughterhouses are monitored and the correct practices are being maintained. the racing industry need to be more proactive in welfare at this last stage of the horses life. there is enough money in the industry to have their own slaughterhouses in various parts of the country to ensure that everything is being done correctly. its no good ITV banging on about welfare at the races, the need to do something about the many horses who are forgotten......if every racing fan put £5 towards welfare at the end of life and owners put maybe £500 they would have a huge amount of money to play with....