Part/Full Livery Stigma- Does it happen elsewhere?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hey all,
So a few weeks ago, I was speaking to someone at the yard and I said if I were to presue my more office based careed I would probably go on 5 day livery depending on travel ect. (This again, is very hyperthetical, I am in no stage of persuing a career)

She has two horses on part livery and is a marketing manager in London and she told me that I better be prepared since alot of people frown upon her for being on part livery. - These are mainly from the DIY people at her previous yard saying that she is lazy or needs to be at the yard earlier or just dont have horses at all. After curious struck me, I asked a few other part or full livery mates who said they have experienced the same thing either here or other places.

I was wondering does this happen to you? I know a few non horsey people like my mum find it lazy but with DIY people on the same yard, does it happen?

Personally, I find that the money you lose makes up for the lack of stress and knowing.

Just wanting to see if anyone has had this stigma too. Hope it all made sense ??
Never had anyone ever say that to anyone of my livery owners. They must be jealous as they cannot afford to do it.

Uliy

Visit site
I am on full livery. I’m grateful that my whole time at the yard is spent with my horse, rather than doing things near her but not with her (mucking out etc). I have never encountered judgement in real life for being full livery, only ever on the internet! ?

My job means that sometimes I don’t know whether I can get to the yard until the evening. I’m sure my horse appreciates a consistent routine more than me looking after her at random times! I also appreciate knowing she is looked after if I want a lie in, have social plans or go on holiday. That might make me lazy, but does it even matter if someone is lazy, as long as the horse is looked after?

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Crickey they'd hate me then! We have my daughters pony on full livery ?? we work full time (hour long commutes) plus the school runs and her after school activities and then a 25 minute drive to the yard there is no way we could manage DIY! Ignore them we've never had anyone say anything to us ....and if they did I'd not be at that yard for long!

Livery yards can be awful places, being full or part livery is fab as you can ignore the drama and come and go as you wish!

honetpot

Visit site
I have spent of forty years at DIY, at one point I had twelve split over yards/fields summer and winter and I think in that time apart from a yearly holiday I didn't get a day off. I now have yard help three times a week, and it is lovely, and if I could afford five days a week I would. All you do is remove is the drudgery, I have choice on what jobs I want to do, it's like saying if someone does your cleaning you do not care about your home, when really having a cleaner means to get to enjoy your home more.
I can go off in the morning somewhere with my husband knowing my angel is going to poo pick, deal with the farrier, or call in the feed shop for me.
Many years ago I was a groom and did full hunter livery, so the owner only rode them once a week when they collected them to go hunting. Most livery isn't like that.

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
In Ireland Dly yard aren’t common Most yards only offer full livery ( horses aren’t ridden) so a lot of the time people don’t have a choice. Yeah there would be judgement people are jealous and wish they could do full livery but I wouldn’t care what others think.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I'm on DIY livery but pay for my horses to be looked after 3 days a week.
It didn't even occur to me that some people might think I'm lazy etc. and for me that's a reflection on them.
I do what I want and what me and my horses are happy with. If they're fed and cared for they don't much care who it is that's there.
There's always something you'll do that others don't agree with but try not to let others affect you.

Ossy2

Visit site
I'm the opposite, I feel sorry ( probably not the right words) for people on full or part. They get to spend less time with their horses. I have several friends on full livery and the thought never occurred to me of being jealous etc , exact opposite for me.

I’m on full livery and I certainly don’t need anyone feeling sorry for me thanks very much. I actually probably spend more time with my horse than some DIY as all my yard time (which is a lot) can be spent messing around with my horse instead of spending the time running round doing chores. I’ve never felt the need to judge anyone for being on DIY so it’s quite disappointing to realise people maybe judging me for being on full.

SEL

Visit site
I've never come across the DIY vs PART vs FULL snobbery! Pros and cons of both (although when it's p'ing it down and I'm mucking out then I am envious of full liveries ?)

Deltofe2493

Visit site
I’ve been both part & diy - and echoing above it depends on you and your horse and preferences ONLY! Don’t worry what other people think cause they’ll judge whatever you do.

I’m on DIY now due to a myriad of problems with yard management causing vet bills and moving next week.

I prefer it so I can keep an eye on her and what is going on. Plus I’m terrible for getting up in the mornings I’m finding I have a lot more energy and the jobs are a good weight maintainer. But each to their own!

Surbie

Visit site
I've only ever been DIY, but I have been DIY on 2 yards which also have horses on full or 5-day livery, and I have never noticed any form of divide amongst the owners. As SEL says, both have their pros and cons. The cons are more keenly felt by me in winter. :)

Reactions: SEL

Deltofe2493

Visit site
Thinking as well maybe the version of livery you are ascertains a type of person maybe?

i work full time in events, and at the time there were 2 other girls in events on the yard, both full livery. So maybe the divide isn’t down to ‘diy & full’ but perhaps similarities

I was close with one of the girls, not the other so maybe not always the case, but something to consider. & obvs I still work full time, part time weekends and am on diy!

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Absolutely no one ever in 35+ years of having horses has anyone ever cared what type of livery I have. Not that I would care if they did. Other peoples opinions of me are none of my business.
I'm too busy enjoying my horse and to be brutally honest I hate mucking out, filling Haynets and water buckets etc. and i’m lucky enough to be able afford livery so I don’t have to. Yep I’m 100% bone idle when it comes to chores I find boring when I can be doing the things I enjoy with my horse. I have no shame admitting that and tbh when I was on DIY I had less time with my horse because I was too busy doing the chores. I have friends who love the chore aspect but it’s not for me.

Peglo

Visit site
I have mine at home and I definitely couldn’t afford part/full livery. I do enjoy all the work mucking out or rug changes etc but on days when I’m nakered I think it would be nice just getting to spend that time with my horses instead of poo picking. I admire people who have worked hard so they have their choice of livery.

I hope whatever livery options people choose they (and their equines) are living their best horse life.

Deltofe2493

Visit site
I’m so frustrated having spent a year on full livery thinking my horse was going to be cared for by professionals, and trusting them with my horse and she’s had so many issues!!!

turns out I’ve done a better job myself!
So of course entirely dependant on situation.

I’m yet to experience DIY in winter… I might have to budget for the additional services some days ?

SO1

Visit site
I am on part 7 days a week for work reasons and also because I live in London and to find a yard with all year turnout is hard in the local area so he is about an an hour and a half away. I see him 5 times a week normally.

I have also been on DIY grass livery before.

However with a job that requires travel and working late a couple of times a week I need assistance and also the security that if I got sick he would be ok or if I had family responsibilities I would not need to worry.

I think to be fully DIY you have to be very confident that in an emergency you have a friend or family member who could come to the rescue and also work or live near yard and have a flexible employer, and not everyone has that sort of support network. For those of us that don't then part livery is what we need. It is not always about being lazy.

Winters100

Visit site
The way that I see it is that as owners we have a responsibility to ensure that our horses have a good level of care. Horses do not care whether their box is cleaned and their hay filled by the owner, a groom or the tooth fairy. How we arrange things depends upon our own personal commitments, and is no business of anyone else. So long as you are satisfied that your horse is well cared for there is nothing to discuss with others, and I would personally just deal with any comments by asking 'do you think my horse is neglected in some way?'

Speaking personally my horses are on what I would term 'part' livery, but I think others would consider it to be 'full'. Basically all care, but they are not ridden or prepared for me to ride, tack cleaning is for me, and if I did not go then the only exercise would be horse walker if I wanted it. This allows me to spend time keeping them fit, which is important to me. None of the horses has ever expressed any disappointment at the fact that I did not personally clean their box or deliver them to the paddock in the morning.

Jules111

Visit site
I'll introduce a new category... those who have horses at home. I think this category is below even the most basic DIY category. Those of a certain age will remember the scene in The life of Brian... DIY livery you lucky lucky B*****ds ;). Since having our own place there have been so many occasions I've looked across the field to my fat, overly indulged horses thinking i'll have to ride those fat buggers but can't actually get to that because fences need repairing, fields need topping, previously unknown but fatal to horses weeds have appeared so must be tackled ... the list goes on. If i'm honest I love every minute and wouldn't change it for the world but we should remember that the only ideal situation is the one that works best for the horse... us horse servants just need to find the situation that works best for us (and is least likely to result in divorce :p).

Lyle

Visit site
Running horses full time at home now, and have had one horse on full livery in the past whilst full time in a different career. There are certainly times I reminisce about not HAVING to go out and sort horses in pouring rain and freezing winds. :p

sunleychops

Visit site
Normally by people who absolutely despise mucking out etc and barely have time to ride by the time they've done it all but still pretend they love it all and look down upon others for it

zandp

Visit site
I've heard DIY people moaning about part livery horse owners on some yards I've been on. Personally couldn't give 2 hoots what livery you're on as long as your horse is being looked after / cared for etc. When I worked in London and had 1 horse she was on working livery when I first got her and then part livery. Moving counties and losing a 4 hour round trip commute I put her on DIY but since then have ridden a lot less as was still working full time so a lot of spare time is spent mucking out / poo picking etc. I have 2 now and can't afford part livery for both of them but if / when the older one leaves me I'm seriously thinking about putting the other one onto part livery or assisted DIY so that my life is a bit more balanced. That is of course if she's ever ridable again otherwise it'll be a retirement livery for her and I'll try and loan or share a riding horse.

Leandy

Visit site
How odd! I have always worked full time in a full on career. Hence I have always kept my horses, and now my childrens' horses, on part/full livery. Over my career and time having a family there has been no way I could have managed on DIY and kept up a reliably suitable routine for them! I work in a professional capacity which for many years had unpredictable and long hours commonly involving late nights, all nighters and weekend work. Often on no notice. Add to that raising babies and children with nursery/school run etc and there was no predicatably available time to do my own horses. I would like nothing better than to do my own horses as I would like them done but something has to give. The effect of career and family has made me cash rich and time poor. The saving grace is that I earn enough in the "office job" not to have to worry about throwing money at the problem. I have not in any of this time though heard any criticism of myself or others in the way we keep our horses. That is simply noone else's business and I wouldn't take any notice of such nonsense even if I heard it. I don't have time or head space for vacuous gossip! You are perfectly entitled to keep your horse as you wish so long as its needs are met. Where I am, yards tend to be either DIY or part/full in any event. A mixed yard with all three would be unusual so the situation would be unlikely to arise.

Horseysheepy

Visit site
I always admire horse owners who have very high paid jobs and horses on full or part livery. I can see that coming to see their horses after a day at a high pressured job which never actually leaves you the minute you clock out anyway, and not to have to muck out, but spend relaxation time with their horse. This must be their only getaway from the stresses of a highly demanding job, that's before they have to go home and do family stuff or whatever.

It's easy to be envious or judgemental of people at times, but I always think there's more to a person than what we see for just a smidgen of their time every day.

I just like people to be happy! I enjoy watching friends go out and have fun on their horses and hearing how they're progressing, even though I'm not at a livery yard anymore.

Sometimes people are bitter, because they're jealous.

BallyJ

Visit site
I'll add I'm on full livery, I could do DIY but my marriage would suffer, lack of holidays and nights out etc. Also when I add it all up it would save me little money maybe £50 per month? , plus it means I can ride my horse more often and means I can be on a yard that has an indoor school only 6 miles from where I live.

How did you work out the saving? I'm looking to dip my toe back into the horse market and trying to work out my best livery option! Just need to think about what I need to take into consideration,

Sossigpoker

Visit site
The only opinion I have of other people's livery arrangements is my total amazement of how some people do it.
They claim to get up at 4.30 am or similar silly hour, muck out and ride before work, work a full day and then do the horses again.
If that's really what they do , I take my hat off to them as there is absolutely no way I could cope with that.

Surbie

Visit site
The only opinion I have of other people's livery arrangements is my total amazement of how some people do it.
They claim to get up at 4.30 am or similar silly hour, muck out and ride before work, work a full day and then do the horses again.
If that's really what they do , I take my hat off to them as there is absolutely no way I could cope with that.

That's normal for half the DIYs where I am. I am later than 5am, so have the yard to myself usually, before the next lot rock up. It's an hour or two of silent bliss and really sets me up for the day.

smolmaus

Visit site
I used to get up at 5am to do 90 mins in the gym before work. Even though I know for a fact I did this for well over a year, I still can't imagine doing it now and I certainly wouldn't be going back again after work ?

My current livery is assisted in winter (they turn them all out together to hardstanding in the morning, which is more routine for the horses) and DIY in the summer when out 24/7. There is... maybe not a snobbery, but there is something, that some of us poo pick our own winter paddocks in the freezing rain and do our own stables and some of us pay the yard owners (a very reasonable rate) to do it. I have to stop myself thinking "lazy!" and consciously tell myself that I could be doing the same thing if it really meant that much to me, which it obviously doesn't!

huskydamage

Visit site
Me personally, I do not care I am too busy getting on with my life. It's pretty standard though in the horse world that there is always at least one person who has an opinion about everything and will find something to whinge about whatever you are doing.
So just do what you want and ignore any silly comments.