Passport - deceased horse

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Hello,

Wondering if anyone may know the answer to the following...

I lost my horse in Feb, his passport was sent back to Weatherbys by his insurers with an SAE to be returned to me once their records were updated. How long would you expect it take to get the passport back...? I'm worried it may have been lost :(

doodle

Visit site
I got solis back almost instantly from weatherbys. They posted it at their expense also as they got it from insurance rather than me

Flyermc

Visit site
sorry, but why did you need to do this?

i lost my boy in oct and only sent a photocopy of his passport, i rang the insurance company to confirm what they needed. i havent done anything with his passport.

popsdosh

Visit site
sorry, but why did you need to do this?

i lost my boy in oct and only sent a photocopy of his passport, i rang the insurance company to confirm what they needed. i havent done anything with his passport.

Its a legal requirement and stated in the passport.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I don't know if they have a bit of a backlog at the moment but I just waited 5 weeks to get a passport back, although mine was sent in for change of ownership.

Cecile

Visit site
This is to ensure the passport is stamped & does not become accidentally / fraudulently associated with another horse.

I'm sure every PIO is different but whenever I have had a passport returned for a horse that has been put down, they have never printed or stamped anything in it but just cut off the corner,
they did update their database as one previous owner contacted me when she saw the horse was dead via the breeders/breed society database

WellyBaggins

Visit site
I have emailed them awaiting a response. I really hope it hasn't been lost. It is a legal requirement to return the passport although I probably wouldn't have done had it not been a requirement of his insurance in case I lost it...

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I'm sure every PIO is different but whenever I have had a passport returned for a horse that has been put down, they have never printed or stamped anything in it but just cut off the corner,
they did update their database as one previous owner contacted me when she saw the horse was dead via the breeders/breed society database

Yeah cutting off a corner is still an unalterable change to the passport & would ensure it did not get miss used.

Flyermc

Visit site
Its a legal requirement and stated in the passport.

theres nothing on my passport about any legal requirements, however my lad was passported before you had to have them (it was a breed passport) all they did when the requirements came to have a passport, was to pop a sticker on the front.

the insurance company said they only need a photo copy just to confirm i was the owner and his vaccination record.

WellyBaggins

Visit site
So sorry OP. Did they receive it or might the insurer have it?

Weatherbys haven’t had it and haven’t got it now but she is going to keep an eye out for it. Insurers said they sent it 16/03 but I have just contacted them again to check they did actually send it. I’m praying it’s sat on someone’s desk. Heartbroken

Mule

Visit site
I would make sure to keep in contact with them and stress how important it is. Just to keep them focused on it. Fingers crossed (hopefully they just misplaced it)

Cecile

Visit site
theres nothing on my passport about any legal requirements, however my lad was passported before you had to have them (it was a breed passport) all they did when the requirements came to have a passport, was to pop a sticker on the front.

the insurance company said they only need a photo copy just to confirm i was the owner and his vaccination record.

Yes when my insured horse died I had to send in a photo copy of the passport, this is all about claims and verifying you are claiming for the correct horse, you own it and all the details you have given is correct/age/height/breed etc

A PIO and sending in the passport is something quite different, the death of the horse is then registered as dead, no-one should be able to use the passport for another horse and the details should be logged on a data base

If anyone sends in their passport it is advisable to make sure they will return it and don't assume they will, send it via recorded delivery (If precious to you) and badger them if need be

https://www.gov.uk/horse-passport

Not everyone does it, not everyone knows it should be done, legally it should be done but I can't see the passport police turning up at anyone's door if they have decided not to do it :)

Keeping my fingers crossed the OP has her passport returned shortly

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
When my insured mare died I just sent passport back to issuer and that was it ... I did keep a photocopy but I never expected the original to be returned.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
the last thing i thought about when i lost my mare was the passport. it was in sept.2016.... i still have it and will send it off when i feel i can, its my last link to her. it is in the drawer with my dogs vacc record , i lost my dog 2 weeks after my horse and i dont feel i can bin that either....

Cecile

Visit site
When my insured mare died I just sent passport back to issuer and that was it ... I did keep a photocopy but I never expected the original to be returned.

Yes if you don't request the passport to be returned that will be the end of it and they won't usually send it back to you, some people would like to keep the passport so they should request it to be returned to them when updated

Some people like to keep a headcollar, rug or a special rosette and to some people the passport is also very sentimental to them, its those people who should request and have their passport returned (The PIO will only destroy or should destroy the passport if its not returned to the owner)

Counterpoint

Visit site
It sounds though from what you said that it disappeared between the Insurers and Weatherbys? I'd be asking the insurers for the tracking details/recorded delivery etc, if they didn't use that I'd say you have a claim against them. I know it wouldn't get the passport back, but might encourage them to treat documents with consideration. If it arrived they can prove it and who signed for it.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hello,

Wondering if anyone may know the answer to the following...

I lost my horse in Feb, his passport was sent back to Weatherbys by his insurers with an SAE to be returned to me once their records were updated. How long would you expect it take to get the passport back...? I'm worried it may have been lost :(
I never sent any of my deceased horse back, as they stamp it deceased all over it and would rub salt in. I keep mine as they are and wont send them back.