Passport - deceased horse

WellyBaggins

Visit site
the last thing i thought about when i lost my mare was the passport. it was in sept.2016.... i still have it and will send it off when i feel i can, its my last link to her. it is in the drawer with my dogs vacc record , i lost my dog 2 weeks after my horse and i dont feel i can bin that either....

I only did it because it was a requirement of his insurance claim - I would have kept hold of it otherwise :(

WellyBaggins

Visit site
It sounds though from what you said that it disappeared between the Insurers and Weatherbys? I'd be asking the insurers for the tracking details/recorded delivery etc, if they didn't use that I'd say you have a claim against them. I know it wouldn't get the passport back, but might encourage them to treat documents with consideration. If it arrived they can prove it and who signed for it.

Yes that is correct! I am waiting to hear back from them :(

Cecile

Visit site
I never sent any of my deceased horse back, as they stamp it deceased all over it and would rub salt in. I keep mine as they are and wont send them back.

I am sure from one PIO to another things vary but the only thing that has happened to any of my passports from various breed societies is they have cut the corner off so it cannot be used for another horse, none have had anything written or stamped on them.

Strangely enough with a dead human passport they also don't stamp or write in the passport if it is requested to be returned, they also cut a corner off

This would be a good thing to verify (What a particular PIO will do with the passport once the death is registered on a data base) before you send it in or don't send it in depending on how you wish to proceed

Cecile

Visit site
I only did it because it was a requirement of his insurance claim - I would have kept hold of it otherwise :(

Whilst your insurers search for your original passport I would ask them if they took a photo copy for their file
It may not be the same but this will enable them to request a replacement passport if it fails to appear (I truly hope it does appear) but the option would then be open
for them to put this right and also send/offer you some sort of recompence (If they turn out to be the ones at fault)

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Whilst your insurers search for your original passport I would ask them if they took a photo copy for their file
It may not be the same but this will enable them to request a replacement passport if it fails to appear (I truly hope it does appear) but the option would then be open
for them to put this right and also send/offer you some sort of recompence (If they turn out to be the ones at fault)

That’s an excellent idea, thank you. I wish I’d taken photos of all the pages now :(

Cecile

Visit site
That’s an excellent idea, thank you. I wish I’d taken photos of all the pages now :(

Don't beat yourself up, you probably have more than enough on your plate at present, you just done as requested, hindsight is a wonderful thing

I have never heard of Insurers requesting the actual passport only requesting a photo copy of the passport, this doesn't mean it isn't standard practice with some Insurers, this bad experience of yours may actually alter how they deal with this situation in the future

JDH01

Visit site
It is a legal requirement but if you send a note and a self addressed envelope to any of the passport issuers they send it back.

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up, you probably have more than enough on your plate at present, you just done as requested, hindsight is a wonderful thing

I have never heard of Insurers requesting the actual passport only requesting a photo copy of the passport, this doesn't mean it isn't standard practice with some Insurers, this bad experience of yours may actually alter how they deal with this situation in the future

:( hopefully mine will turn up yet and like you say it may save someone else being in this situation, every cloud!

popsdosh

Visit site
It sounds though from what you said that it disappeared between the Insurers and Weatherbys? I'd be asking the insurers for the tracking details/recorded delivery etc, if they didn't use that I'd say you have a claim against them. I know it wouldn't get the passport back, but might encourage them to treat documents with consideration. If it arrived they can prove it and who signed for it.

What would you have a claim for ? The passport is actually the legal property of the PIO and most will return it willingly if the horses owner requests it . They have no legal requirement to.

WellyBaggins

Visit site
What would you have a claim for ? The passport is actually the legal property of the PIO and most will return it willingly if the horses owner requests it . They have no legal requirement to.
Cecile is aiming that at the insurers who have apparently lost it / not sent it recorded. I haven’t heard back from them yet. It’s not a route I’ll go down but it is a shame it has been lost :(

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Indeed, a rollercoaster of emotions. It will be returned to me next week!

Glad I didn’t chase it and find out earlier as I really wouldn’t have coped with that upset on top of losing him. I’m still sensitive at nearly 8 weeks but would have been a complete mess a couple of weeks ago.

BlackRider

Visit site
That's great news - so pleased it turned up.

Its hard enough dealing with the loss of a horse, without that too.

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Passport arrived this morning safe and well :)

attachment.php

Picture of Cornell, miss his beautiful face :(

attachment.php

Northern

Visit site
So glad you got it back, what a relief. He was a gorgeous horse, he is so very similar to my girl I lost last week :( Chestnuts with blazes really are the best <3

dhUfEqw.jpg