Paying for professional services

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Following on from comments made within another thread, I thought I'd start a fresh thread.

Paying for vet services, farriers etc etc. Are you invoiced weekly or monthly?
Do you pay vet bills promptly, pay farrier on the day, maybe pay on the edge of timescale.

I pay lovely farrier when he's finished, either by cash, or BACS same day.

My vets bill out weekly on a Friday with 4 working days to pay. Again, I pay in full immediately, lower amounts by BACS or if it's a stinker of a bill then over the phone on credit card.
My vets don't do payment plans of any sort. As an animal owner, I understand that it's my responsibility to make payment and arrange my finances to be able to meet expected and unexpected bills. Obviously the practice work with insurance companies, but still the excess needs paying.
Recently (last year) they introduced pre payment for the 1st visit for new clients.

Just wondering how you do things?

Visit site
Always in full on the day - I find it incredibly stressful if I know I owe money! And I know that there is a chance that I will forget if I don’t do it immediately. (Apart from the fact that I just think it’s fair to pay promptly, the horse world is small and I don’t want a reputation as a ‘bad payer’!).
Husband is self-employed so I also know how it feels when clients don’t pay on time.

Totally agree with your point about responsibility as an owner.

Cowpony

Visit site
I pay my farrier a couple of days in advance. Routine vet visits are on zone days, so no callout fee if you pay on the day, so I usually pay when I book, because otherwise I fotget. Other vet stuff I wait for them to invoice me and pay within a few days.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I try to pay by BACS by most things. Usually on the day but sometimes a few days later if they don't invoice until later.

Vet bill's, I've always paid on invoice except for routine vaccinations when I pay on the day as try to tie in with a zone visit.

I pay the vets first and then claim back off insurance but I'm honest with vets that even with insurance, I'm practical about costs and won't rack up a huge bill without questioning it as I want to know I can pay it, if not covered by insurance. I'm just awaiting the latest invoice for more blood tests and medication before settling that.

I hate, hate owing money - even knowing I'm waiting for the vets to invoice me and knowing the money is sitting there waiting to be paid to them, is making me a bit twitchy!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Farrier... um, no charge these days. but i used to pay on the day, usually cash.

Physio, dentist, lessons etc pay on day bank transfer.

Vets - invoiced monthly. Usually pay up straight away, if I'm planning on an insurance claim there will be a delay as have to send forms to vet to sign etc, they are happy for my insurers to pay them direct so that suits me, I pay any elements not covered at the time of sending the forms over.
I had an outstanding bit from last month this time, as insurance had decided not to pay for something - i coughed up on receiving the notice from vets which arrived on same day as insurance settlement letter.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
oh, meant to say, my vets ask new clients to pay upfront for the first 3 episodes, whatever they are. then you get put on the invoice system. i suppose if you turned out to be a bad payer they might go back to charging upfront.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I pay both my farriers in cash on the day. I could pay by BACS and have done on occasion but prefer cash on the day.
My hay/straw supplier leaves an invoice and I pay him by BACS within 2 or 3 days.
Dentist, physio and saddler, I receive an invoice and pay straight away by BACS.
My vets bill monthly, if it’s a large bill I pay on CC immediately in full and deal with the card in my own time. If it’s a smaller bill I pay within 7 days by BACS. Insurance claims are a mix of NFU paying the vets direct and me claiming back for services where the provider doesn’t want to deal with NFU.

I hate owing money and as far as I’m concerned the people have provided a service and shouldn’t have to wait or chase for payment.

TPO

Visit site
Farrier, saddler, dentist, therapist & hay merchant paid on the day in cash. Sometimes hay merchant asks for a cheque.

Vets paid in full within a few days of bill arriving and no later than 5 working days

When I had insured horses I paid the bill and the insurance sent the settlement cheque to me in most instances.

SEL

Visit site
Farrier on the day - he now has a card machine because its cheaper to run that than chase his poor paying clients :rolleyes:

Physio and bodyworkers - depends on how they operate. Always got cash to pay them on the day but some moved to invoicing during covid. Pay as soon as the invoice is emailed.

Vets pay within a week of the bill arriving. I did have a big outstanding amount that ran on for ages because the insurance company owed them money on an open claim and were dragging their feet. I hated that statement turning up every month. Current statement is for £2.48 and I'm even planning on paying that tomorrow!

My vets will only do free visit days if you phone up to pay on the day, otherwise you get charged the visit fee. I don't think they will accept new clients without payment in advance now.

I hate being in debt so get twitchy if I don't pay on time.

chaps89

Visit site
Livery was standing order each month, now it's cash in an envelope on 1st each month.
Hay, external supplier I'd pay bacs on the day, on site was bacs on 1st of the month for whatever I'd used in the previous month.
Farrier/trimmer by bacs, usually on the day.
Physio/chiro also bacs.
Instructor 1 is cash on the day, instructor 2 is bacs on the day.
Vet. Generally uninsured so pay by card (credit or debit depending how big the bill was!) On the day - if you pay on the day you got a 5% discount.
When I had a big spell of vet bills most weeks/months and it was on insurance, I paid the bits I knew insurance wouldn't and claimed for a payment to the vet, with the vets permission.
At the time the practice knew me well and I also worked for the insurance company. If insurance hadn't covered something for some reason I'd have paid on credit card and paid it off as necessary, leaving the vets out of pocket/waiting for payment wouldn't even cross my mind.

lar

Visit site
Farrier as soon as he tells me the amount by BACS.
Livery is a SO. Hay etc again pay by BACS as soon as I get the bill.

Vet - changed their terms from 30 days to 7 days a year or so ago without telling anyone. They are extremely prompt at sending chasing letters and they give no concessions for insurance claims (although I think they will agree terms if it's a particularly hefty bill). It's really the only criticism I have of them as otherwise their service is excellent (as you'd expect).
I've actually just checked their website and they STILL have the 30 days terms up there - so they might be on dodgy ground if they tried to enforce the 7 days payment terms but then again they're pretty much the only usable vets on the peninsula so you don't want to fall out with them by being awkward.

Barlow

Visit site
I pay vet physio farrier etc the same day I get the invoice - online banking via my phone has made it so easy there really isn’t any excuse not to! Livery is via standing order.

chaps89

Visit site
See, I don't understand why people would wait to pay vet bills. And I don't say that as someone with oodles of money at my disposal!
You wouldn't expect to take your car to the garage, drive it away and pay anything up to a month later.
Car bills can be as unexpected and as big as vet bills, so why are vet bills different?!
Ok, for big unexpected bills it's nice to have some breathing space, but surely part of having a horse is knowing this is pretty much inevitable, and therefore being prepared (either via insurance and up front conversations with your vet about whether direct insurance payments are acceptable, or savings or credit card as applicable) and taking responsibility is the important thing here?

Polos Mum

Visit site
My vets send an invoice at the end of the month and I pay it on the 18th at the start of my next credit card cycle - no real reason why - just habit. They are good at sending you a bill for interest if you forget, I've only had that once but thought it was a good idea to make sure people understand consequences of late payment.

Dentist and farrier I do both online on my phone and always pay before they leave the yard so I know it's done - much better in cash less world and it only takes 2 mins. I really rate them both and want them to be happy to visit me so 1) horse is clean and well mannered and 2) payment isn't something they have to chase.
Replacing them would be a total pain for me.

Lessons are paid in advance a week or so she sends out a reminder and I pay on receipt of that.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I get monthly invoices for the vet bill. Payment used to be due within 28 days, now it's 14 days. I always pay comfortably within that timeframe but not necessarily as soon as I receive the invoice. I presume that they wouldn't state 14 or 28 days if they weren't happy with it?

I haven't ever had to be chased to pay or carried a balance forward, and I've been with these vets for 35 years.

Farriers and trimmers (when I had one) was BACs while they were here.

Chiro vet used to want cash on the day, but since Covid I BACs her payment a few days in advance which is easier.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
See, I don't understand why people would wait to pay vet bills. And I don't say that as someone with oodles of money at my disposal!
You wouldn't expect to take your car to the garage, drive it away and pay anything up to a month later.
Car bills can be as unexpected and as big as vet bills, so why are vet bills different?!
Ok, for big unexpected bills it's nice to have some breathing space, but surely part of having a horse is knowing this is pretty much inevitable, and therefore being prepared (either via insurance and up front conversations with your vet about whether direct insurance payments are acceptable, or savings or credit card as applicable) and taking responsibility is the important thing here?
I completely agree ?

Chianti

Visit site
I pay the vet the next day because they offer 5% off the invoice if you do that and every little helps. Farrier and anyone else gets paid on line either the same day or the next. I don't like owing money.

paddy555

Visit site
I have a monthly account at the vets (who is also my dentist) for horses so pay on the day I get the bill. For the dog/cat I pay at the visit. Trim my own but if I needed a farrier's help or a chiro, hay or anything else I would pay cash or bank xfer on the day as they requested.

I come from a background of building a house in my 20's out of income so there was a monthly lottery in paying builder's merchants when there was not enough money. I hated being in that position. So I am paranoid about not owing money and most conversations with other traders are " how much do I owe you" don't worry I'll let you have a bill idc' Me thinking I just want it NOW :D

interesting theme on this thread that many don't like owing money. :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
To add, my dog and cat vet require payment every time before leaving the surgery, no billing out is ever done, even a home visit requires payment in advance, with any extra's used paid for over the phone before vet leaves if they don't have card machine with them.
In an elected pts there, they usually require payment before coming in.

chaps89

Visit site
I presume that they wouldn't state 14 or 28 days if they weren't happy with it?

I guess I sort of think of it in the same way as livery charges or hay. For years prices have stayed the same.
YO don't make enough to cover costs, but don't put prices up. Liveries aren't going to offer to pay more so it never changes.
I guess the same for vets, whilst it's offered I can see why people take advantage of it. Ultimately it's their prerogative though so if they can/want to then that is obviously completely their call!
I wonder how many small independents wouldn't have sold out had their cash flow been better though? (Not being antagonistic, it's a genuine musing!)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Hay - he just drops it by when he thinks I'll need some so I BACS the money over when I get home to see it

Vet - pay over the phone when they invoice

Physio - pay by BACS. Sometimes I wait until she's invoiced, but she's not great with paperwork so usually I pay in advance of the invoice

Lessons/clinics/arena hire etc - these days is all paid upfront by BACS, usually approx a week in advance

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Because on the day I don't know the amount and generally neither does the vet.

Carrottom

Visit site
The garage I use sends me a bill about 3 days after the work done and like the vets I pay before the end of the month.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I guess the same for vets, whilst it's offered I can see why people take advantage of it. Ultimately it's their prerogative though so if they can/want to then that is obviously completely their call!
Well, yes. If the invoice states they want payment immediately/within 7/14/28 days then I'll go with what they've asked for ?‍♀️. I'll not lose any sleep over indebtedness as long as I stick to their terms.

Small animal vets is payment at time of treatment. I think that they may do accounts too, but I've never enquired.

MuddyMonster

Visit site

Personally, I now always wait to be invoiced - which they do monthly.

I only wait to be invoiced so I can check the itemised bill as have issues in the past of paying on the day but then not receiving an itemised bill. It later transpired that I had been over charged but it was a PITA to get the money refunded.

I could pay on the day (which I do for really simple things like vaccinations where I know the cost so easy to spot if wrong) for a 5% discount but prefer to check the costs.

To be fair, I pay for any add one's to my livery package in arrears. I think that's the term I mean - I pay for the services at the end of the month after I've used them, basically.

EventingMum

Visit site
Farrier on the day, usually cheque or BACS.
Chiropractor on the day either cash or BACS.
Feed merchant sends a monthly invoice with an discount if you pay by the end of the month.
Haylage pay by cheque on the day, for some reason I can't get a BACS payment set up to him.
Vet sends out a monthly invoice which I pay by card on their website.
Dentist does mine for free :D