People riding your horses without permission - URGENT!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Oh my god you must be so angry.
Did they just hop on the horse and ride around your paddock or did this include getting access to your tack?

Tack not left where horses are, just head collars that are now all removed! He took a pic of him sitting like he owned the place on my lovely mare. She's too nice for her own good.

I'm calling the BHS tomorrow as I'm a gold member.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Tack not left where horses are, just head collars that are now all removed! He took a pic of him sitting like he owned the place on my lovely mare. She's too nice for her own good.

I'm calling the BHS tomorrow as I'm a gold member.

Well Pops would have catapulted him into orbit - he doesn't "do" strange people on his back, much less men and no tack . . . you are right, your mare is too sweet for her own good. How dare he?!

P

Bright_Spark

Visit site
So angry on your behalf OP - that a) someone does this and b) there is seemingly nothing that can be done about it.

Stupid thing is, if he fell off, he would probably have a case for injury, even though he should not be doing it!

The law seems bonkers at times!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I can't imagine how angry you must be, would this be a case of agravated trespass? Might be worth asking a solicitor. I hope you can get the prat on something!

Fun Times

Visit site
With a few exceptions, trespass is a civil and not a criminal matter. If he has accessed a field which you own without permission then I would be raising a claim in tort for trespass. I probably wouldnt bother pursuing it very far, but enough to put the wind up him. I would also padlock your field gate.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Field gate is always padlocked, lots of thick hedges etc around the edge, short of putting up 10 foot fencing with gun turrets around a 10 acre field, not much else I can do!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Surely 'behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace'? It certainly sounds as if the peace is likely to b e broken if you don't get some sense from someone soon DS. And I'm not surprised!

mandwhy

Visit site
Maybe you could swap your lovely obliging horse with a similar looking wild rodeo beast of a horse and hope for the best?

I would also be absolutely levitating!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The one scenario where I'm glad my loony won't be caught by strangers! My blood is boiling on your behalf. Was the bloke drunk?? I HATE how people think horses are public property to feed, sit on, whatever. Trespassing is not going to be punished, but letting idiot know that you're a very angry person may be enough to deter future stupidity. I would defo push the police to go round and have severe words: I'm sure there's something they could say to him that'll put a stop to nonsense. Failing that, we'll do the HHO posse thing! :eek3:

slumdog

Visit site
Mine are in a field with a public footpath through the middle atm and this sort of thing terrifies me. Although one is 16.2 IDx and the other 3 are crackers so hopefully nobody would ever try. A friend saw some people feeding them last week though :( if you want to stroke/ride/feed a horse buy your own or go to a riding school :(

Fides

Visit site
Get your physio out and bill this guy with a letter stating that due to his actions your mare needed her back checking and that you will also be forwarding any vets bills to him as a result of any damage he has caused leaping bareback onto your horse. Hit him in the pocket ;)

Dumbo

Visit site
My horse was ridden without permission and I had photo evidence.
I just typed out the full story but realised I ramble on too much!
In brief, the YM went behind my back to ride my horse despite being asked not too on the first occasion. Several photos of her out hacking him and she admitted to jumping him when I wasn't even cantering him yet due to him having a lot of time off! I was livid but being the quiet, shy person I am who hates confrontation she got away with it. Horse now in a different yard and she'll never come near him again! She was a horrible rider and shouldn't be around horses IMO so I get so upset thinking that my poor horse was left with her.
Hope your case gets solved, it's an awful situation to be in!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Get your physio out and bill this guy with a letter stating that due to his actions your mare needed her back checking and that you will also be forwarding any vets bills to him as a result of any damage he has caused leaping bareback onto your horse. Hit him in the pocket ;)

Good idea!

Police not coming till tomorrow now, I'm about in tears, made it clear he's swanning around free after all this, was assured words been had. Apparently admitted to it going on for months. Will question police about that, get all six checked over.....

Visit site
Was there not a case a few months ago where a drunk guy decided that he didn't want to walk home from the pub, vaguely tacked up a horse at a farm next to the pub, rode it home with his pals walking with him, got home realised he had no where to put the horse for the night so rode it back to the farm and was found asleep on or underneath the horse? Can't remember what happened to the guy, think he ust got cautioned.

Hope everything gets sorted out asap DS!

alainax

Visit site
Piracy for swanning off with someones boat, joy riding in a car, but with a living breathing animal.... hee haw. :(

That is atrocious. My friend got charged with piracy for jumping over the barrier on a moored ferry when drunk, surely there is something for getting on someones horse!

Is your horse in anyway injured? If the law won't act id be trying the civil route personally.

Imo thats just one step away from abuse. People thinking they can do as they wish with creatures happily grazing in a field. I really hope the police really make him remorseful for those actions.

Last edited:

Voxhorse

Visit site
I wonder what the police would do if someone was joyriding on their horses. A quiet word? Or something more?

Good point! he needs to be reminded by the police of all the horse attacks that have been going on, and that he would not want to be a suspect, it is as bad as joy riding. As for then posting it on Facebook, what a moron !!! who screwed himself.

Vindaloo

Visit site
I am fuming on your behalf OP, as I was reading I thought, OK so someone can basically ride someone else's horse and there is nothing the law would do about it.

So, what would happen if the horse threw the scrote and did some permanent damage? I bet said scrote would damn well sue!

What a stinking situation.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Whilst I totally and utterly understand you are incandescent surely a stern ticking off is the best course of action in this instance?

What would a prosecution actually achieve? It would just cost a load of money and likely as not have exactly the same outcome (ie retard doesn't ride your horse again).