People who don't like dogs off the lead...

Oneofthepack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Starbucks didn't mention her mother being asked nicely 1st so I'm assuming as he called her a F....... A....... that he wasn't predisposed to ask anything nicely first

[/ QUOTE ]

That part wasn't in the story I heard.
confused.gif

I think it is more inappropriate for a man to call a women who was on her own in the middle of nowhere a F....... A....... than it is for a blummin dog to say hello to another dog. I would have been quite intimidated!! I would seem I'm on adifferent planet to the majority of HHO on this issue though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I was sticking up for you numpty! Someone said 'who's to say your mother wasn't asked nicely first to put her dogs on a lead and I said you hadn't posted that he had so could only assume he went straight in with the abuse, which is inexcusable, nasty and like you say, quite frightening when your on your own.

Might we have done this one to death now
grin.gif

Starbucks

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I was sticking up for you numpty! Someone said 'who's to say your mother wasn't asked nicely first to put her dogs on a lead and I said you hadn't posted that he had so could only assume he went straight in with the abuse, which is inexcusable, nasty and like you say, quite frightening when your on your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I know you were!
smile.gif
I was just agreeing with you - in the story I heard there was no nicely asking first.
smile.gif

Do you know what - I really can't believe that someone has comlained to admin about me on this post!!! how Pathetic!!!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
To use what you said Oneofthepack as an example : [ QUOTE ]
Having watched mine this morning mucking about with their 3 pointer chums and seeing Lizzie do her 90 mile an hour mad dashes I will always think it's a great shame that people can't or won't allow their dogs to mingle but all peoples circumstances and dogs are different.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes a lot of dogs do enjoy to interact with other dogs, though there's exceptions, but as you said, your dogs have three friends that they play with, so why should your dogs need to be allowed to play with every other dog you might meet out on a walk? (Again, I'm not saying you said they do, but as an example.)

Since I own more than one dog, they play together with each other and IF I feel for it when we meet another dog on our walks, they're allowed to play with them. Sometimes when playing my dogs, especially "little" Beata, runs so fast that their tails, that should hang over their backs when in motion, "blows off"...
But by not allowing them to play with all dogs we meet/see in a far distance, my dogs learn to stay calm and listen to what I say.
a020.gif
wink.gif

I don't believe a dog needs to be allowed to mingle with every dog they see/meet out on walks to be happy.
I do believe that though my dogs isn't allowed to play with every dog we see/meet, isn't allowed to play with every person out walking or jogging that we see/meet and isn't allowed to eat everything they think might be edible
p030.gif
etc, still are perfectly happy dogs.

a050.gif

ETS I haven't read the whole thread from the beginning again, just the new replies since I read it last time, but I don't remember anything "worth" complaining to admin about Starbucks.
confused.gif

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
Prob not helpful to join this debate...

But I think someones position on this debate depends on their actual experiences.. these are mine:

My parents border collie. I walk her quite alot... she always stays near and doesn't run up to other dogs - so she is often off lead - but sometimes on lead (cos she is terrified of loud noises and will sometimes panic and run if she hears a recycling lorry - so she not off lead on recyclying day!)
Dogs run up to her - I warn owners she is not friendly - they either can call their dogs away or they can't. A large percentage of dogs run away sharpish if they do approach her as she gives them a three stage warning - 1) shows teeth, 2) growls 3) growls and chases them a couple of feet ... BUT every once in a while one will start to growl back. This happened with a staffy - the owner was miles away and I had two fighting dogs at my feet
crazy.gif

So when i walk her - I hate dogs running up to us.... Cos usually I get abuse - when actually she isn't doing anything wrong - she tells them to go away and they should listen. She does like some dogs - but only if she knows them. She has absolutely no interest at all in approaching other dogs in the park. She will only warn dogs that come up to us.

Anyway - My black lab - the worlds friendliest dog - would like to greet every dog in the park (if he was allowed to
grin.gif
). Doesn't fight, if told to go away, he listens to the dog and moves on. Makes me wish all dogs were off lead and running playing happily. If a dogs runs up - we both think - yay! Potential playmate!

How I feel about dogs running up to my dog depends on which of the two I am walking you see
grin.gif

annaellie

Visit site
My dog is always on a lead, though would love her to be able to have a good run off lead She is lead exercise due to leg injury, but even before that her being a typical boxer excitment takes over when she sees other people or dogs. She is the most friendliest dog with both but I understand seeing a boxer x mastiff running full force at you must be scary and for all the training she has had and is very obedient when she sees other dogs people it all goes out the window and she just wants to play. So sadly she will be on lead at all times for the foreseable furture untill she can behave herself.
As for some people saying when there is on lead they dont want others coming up to them without checking its ok I totally agree, I was nine months pregant and took my dog over to feild as I did everyday on lead of course and an alsation came bounding over so my dog who was on limited excersise anyway when bounding off with this dog pulling me over with it I was not happy bunny though I must admit I never swore at owner as much as I wanted to as he came over to apoligise

Tharg

Visit site
It's polite to keep them on the lead/call them back to the lead. Not to mention kennel cough, recovering, unknown past etc etc. Dog crap that is done off the lead is less likely to be cleaned up. On a walk the dog should always heed the owner as the owner should be the one on top of the pile!

Parks are not just for walking dogs!

kibob

Visit site

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what - I really can't believe that someone has comlained to admin about me on this post!!! how Pathetic!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
There has been NO reason to report this thread to admin, I'm stunned that someone would do so. I think you've behaved very well
smile.gif

Come on Admin, this is the dog lounge, we are all nice in here
tongue.gif
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But what's the big deal when people have a friendly dog?

[/ QUOTE ]
What if they're dog isn't friendly though? It's a little irresponsible to just assume surely?

My friends beautiful cocker has just almost lost an eye from a friendly, welcoming 'hello' from a mastif. Both friendly - however the mastif was on the lead and the cocker off the lead. Cocker bounded up to the mastif - who promptly snapped and pawed it catchng it's eye......

The Original Kao

Visit site
QR cause I've skimmed
blush.gif

My Mum's old dog was a rescue and could sometimes be aggressive with other dogs, so she was always kept on a lead.
Having an off lead dog come up to her might have led to the other dog being attacked.
crazy.gif

My 2 dogs are very friendly with other dogs, but are always put on the lead if there are other unknown dogs about, just cause they're friendly doesn't mean the other dogs will be.

Apalacia01

Visit site
I think (as other people have stated) that people can't just assume that the other person's dog is friendly. If a dog came bounding up to mine, regardless of how friendly it looked, I would not be happy and neither would my dog.

Then, if that dog went and attacked (whilst having that friendly play) and the owner said 'just being friendly' I would be taken aback. Yes, the man was rude, but to tell you the truth, I would not be at all amused. It is a similar tale to that of Jacks_Mum I think who's horse kicked a dog. Not her fault, and totally that of the irresponsible owner, regardless of whether said dog was just being friendly.

It is courteous and polite to let them be introduced (probably on leads) and then if all goes well to let them loose.

By the way, I don't actually own a dog, but if I did.....!
smile.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess someone didn't appreciate your swearing (seeing as it looks like Admin have also deleted the post where you called me a B_ _ _ H).

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It is courteous and polite to let them be introduced (probably on leads) and then if all goes well to let them loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

See I hate dogs meeting on leads as too often they feel protective trapped are often more aggressive/defensive when leashed. Like I said earlier, mine are hardly ever on leads and if we meet a leashed dog they will walk to heel past it. Obviuosly if we meet unleashed dogs they are often allowed to play, but they are also obedient enough to come away when called.

Another pet hate of mine is having to wait whilst someone desprately tries to catch their dog so I can continue my walk (without it coming along too).

only_me

Visit site
I will let my border off the lead, but because he is very good and will stay with me
laugh.gif

the beagle, on the other hand, is never allowed off lead unless on the beach v early morning when im runninh - hounding instincts are too great at home in fields etc
tongue.gif
and he would get a scent of something and he would be off!

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally i dont like dogs off leads in puclic places. I am a total dog lover having 5 dogs of my own and groom dogs also. BUT, whilst at the beach last summer with my 3 year old daughter who was playing in the sand a couple came on the beach with 2 springers and they were everywhere, no leads and shouldnt have been on beach at that time of year, not allowed during the season down here. One of the spaniels went flat out toward my daughter and was not going to stop. I shouted at the owners who were quite a way away and recieved abuse back. It really shock me as i only got to my daughter seconds before the dog did. Maybe he wouldnt have done anymore than knock my daughter over but who knows! I think dogs should be on leads in public places. I never leave my daughter with our dogs and i know them inside out. ok rant over! still makes me mad all this time on when i think what could have happened!

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have lost it with owners I'm afraid.
Most dogs are fine with children and just want to play,but there is no way of knowing how a strange dog will react untill it does something.
I teach my son to give other peoples dogs space and expect dog owners to give my child the same.

I kept one of the GSD's on lead at all times with a muzzle because he had been wacked from dawn to dusk and passed around the houses before we got him and he was never 100% with anyone.I only ever saw him react by hiding form something he found scary,but was never going to take the risk of him deciding he had to fight his way out of a situation.
The GSD bitch on the other hand,could almost read your mind and if I moved to side of a path she would bound back to sit at my side,looking up until I told her it was OK to move on again.Since we were lucky enough to live near a small wood and a fair few football fields that were hardly used she only went on a lead near roads.

The yorkie,well,I doubt he would ever push me but he is a little b0ll0cks for anyone else and also stays on lead at all times.

Guess as with all animals,we all have our own ways of doing things and reasons for doing them that way.

Apalacia01

Visit site
And that is why I should never have dogs - I am not up on dog etiquette.
frown.gif

I would have thought it more likely that badness would happen if unleashed? I don't know, I just feel that if they are going to get along, they would do so on a leash? I mean, not right up on heel, but at least then if something happens you have some way of pulling them back?

Was just trying to flow with the argument
confused.gif

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
Whist I see the reasoning on why people think dogs should meet on leads... I know from experience that my parents collie is far worse on lead compared to off if a dog runs up to her (as she can't run I guess) - so if an off lead dog runs up I would always drop her lead and give her the option of flight.

Same for my lab - who is friendly - but he is an entire male - and some other dogs (whose owners say are friendly) take a dislike to him and try to pin him to the floor. i drop the lead so he can run and I usually shout at the dog trying to dominate him too..

Vicki1986

Visit site
My dog is always off the lead when not near a road. I do however act cautiously if i see a dog off lead, for example this week 2 10 stone mountain dogs came bounding over (lovely friendly things!!) but my dog is only 5kgs and was understandly worried about these giants!! there owner came rushing over and we all put our dogs on leads so they could say hello safely - her dogs couldve easily broken my dogs back in innocent play - so sometimes i have to remember that whilst wanting a sociable dog i have to consider the safety practicalities. - also, sadly some dogs are bloody horrible and you have to watch out for them.

mrsbloggett

Visit site
Although the abusive language is uneccessary, the dog may be on a lead because it won't come back if let off? I have two greyhounds, who are very friendly to other dogs, but go 'deaf' when playing and are easily led astray.

I'd rather see a dog on a lead than running riot with no control. Racing greyhounds for example are always exercised on a lead, so when they retire they don't know any different and are content to continue the regime. The dog in question may be just the same.