people who have no idea what their pieces of tack do. RANT

stacey_lou

Visit site
Ok so I am going to rant a little.

I am so sick and tired of people who buy pieces of tack for their horses and have no idea what they do and when you ask them why are you putting that on your horse they simply reply with well it suits him and looks good on him...... Well yes but does he actually need that a bit that strong and a grakle? answer no a simple snaffle and a caverson nose band perhaps.

Other people who ride their horses in 5 point brest plates beacuse they look good, does your saddle slip? answer I dont think so, then why use it!

Annoys me so much, I went for an outting with someone who was simply picking stuff out beacuse well wouldnt this look good on her? shes a youngster not a 4 star eventer how do you even know if she's is going to be strong you havent even sat on her yet, how do you know if your saddle is going to slip you havent even bought one yet.

Just annoys me, why would anyone want to un-nesserseally put an strong bit in a horses mouth that didnt need it all beacuse it has drop rings and these would look good on the grakle bridal that had chosen which being a youngster that you have no idea about it under the saddle prob doesnt need it.

ThePony

Visit site
I'm with you, I just don't get it!! My mare just needs the basics, she is happy as that is all she needs, and I am happy as I get way less tack cleaning!!

OFG

Visit site
Agreed!

It's because most people want the newest gadet that has been endorsed by the top riders etc.

Have to admit that for years I used to be the same to a degree and used tack that probably wasn't necessary. As I have got older (and I hope wiser :rolleyes:) I have been using less and less.

Ponies are ridden in simple snaffles with cavessons. No gadgets. My old boy (36) is still ridden in a continental snaffle on the pelham rein but I have taken off his flash and also the hunting breastplate.

Boots have gone too (except for the old boys knee boots and brushing boots front / rear when I do ride / lead with one of the ponies).

Keep it simple, saves time tacking up and with the cleaning :)

Suziq77

Visit site
I agree too, my mare was ridden in a mexican grackle before I bought her (she was 4) but I changed it to a cavesson which is quite sufficient 99.9% of the time. She does look very smart in the grackle but we will only use it if we absolutely need to in the future. I do pop a flash strap on occasionally to remind her that she doesn't need to open her mouth when she gets excited on a hack (yes she has regular back, teeth, saddle checks).

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Agree, my horse was ridden in a martingale before I had him, he doesn't need it, so doesn't wear one. I do however ride in a pelham with double reins, people wonder why I ride a 32 year old with this bit, when he looks like butter wouldn't melt, well you just have to see him out on a ride lol

M_G

Visit site
I think life is too short to get upset over a 5 point Breast plate ect & I would much rather see a "harsh" bit used gently than a "gentle" bit being used harshly..

china

Visit site
its annoys me when they have huge gadgets in their gob!
Mine just have simple snaffle, simple bridle, simple saddle and numnah, they both wear ww brusing boots all round and the mare wears over reach boots. The tb wears a running martingale. I have an elastic strap for the mare to stop the saddle slipping back but since changing saddle i dont need it so use it as a neck strap at the mo.

Visit site
I completely agree that with things like nosebands, bits and martingales etc that affect the horses way of going you should only use the minimum that is necessary. But, what is the problem with using something like a breastplate if you don't need one? The only argument there for the bare minimum rule that i can see (and i stand to be corrected) is the extra effort/time required to tack up/clean it all and the only person that affects is the person doing the tacking up and cleaning... Maybe I'm wrong.

Pipkin

Visit site
I agree!
The yellow one is ridden in a bridle (no noseband) and saddle for schooling, no gadgets at all, does have a running martingale for jumping and hacking but thats just because she gets excited and tried to hit me in the face with her head.

CB does have a gag and grackle for hacking because she`s strong and takes quite a hold. French link for schooling.

Both wear boots for jumping.

I do like the look of 5 point breastplates but I`m not forking out ££££ when it isnt needed, could spend it on rugs instead :D

stacey_lou

Visit site
Dont get me wrong some horses need it of course they do.

My girl is a little loopy but even she is in a French link (loose ring) and a caverson bridal with flash and only wears all round boots and 5 point brest plate when jumping or xc schooling and competition and thats only beacuse he saddle does have a tendency to slip slightly.

I did try he in a grakle once as she was being an ass in a caverson nose band and she hated it as soon as I put her caverson back on she was as good as gold,

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Bits that are too strong/used harshly and strong nosebands and combinations aside, does it really matter?

No doubt if you saw me out and about you'd be horrified:

Five point breastplate - saddle doesn't slip, but when the Dizz is being a donk, it's added grab points should they be needed; and

Martingale - running used as a standing. Doesn't need a standing full time, just coming out of needing a running (I value my nose, and I'm not too keen on the tips of her ears cleaning out my nostrils), but I'm not buying a standing attachment when it's only needed occasionally; and

Cross-country boots all round (for a hack) - when she is being a bit daft she has been known to catch a leg (has ripped the velcro off two boots - I'd much rather she rip the boot than her leg).

So, how does someone 'know' whether a rider is using the 'correct' gear or not? Do we pull up and question them on their attire?

Kenzo

Visit site
The only fancy piece of equipment my nag desperately needs is a decent rider! lol

Wish you could buy them off the peg!

Enfys

Visit site
The only fancy piece of equipment my nag desperately needs is a decent rider! lol

Wish you could buy them off the peg!

:D This answer I like!:)

Personally, as far as gadgets and equipment go, so what?

As long as they are not harming the horse (and lets face it, snaffles don't suit every single horse) then I am very much of the live and let live philosophy. If someone wants to spend an extra 10 minutes putting on all the bells and whistles that's up to them.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I had ridden for over 10 years before I saw anything stronger than a french link bit. one had a breastplate, a maximum of five had running martingales. The RS took in unwanted horses, rescues, abandoned horses etc and was known locally for sorting out the dangerous/untrainable etc and all of these had egg-butt snaffles and cavesson nosebands.

From memory one pony had a drop noseband and perhaps two had flash nosebands. We had everything from shetlands, to arabs, to natives, to clydesdales, ex-racer, ex-eventer, etc.

It was only as I went to a different riding establishment and saw grackles, every other different kind of bit etc. and to me it did seem to be the pro has this so I need it.

It does make me wonder whats different to these horses compared to the ones in the riding school I learned at? If a horse needs something more or indeed prefers a different piece of tack then go with that BUT how many of them actually do?

Enfys

Visit site
I totally agree, but, as a novice, if you don't have an instructor where are you meant to learn about what tacks best?
:)

That is an excellent point. :)

Everyone you ask will have a different opinion and not all horses have read the books or the forums (inconsiderate of them;))

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I agree to a point. I'm one of the "can't be bothered to clean it" brigade, so it doesn't go on my horses unless its needed.

I agree with putting martingales etc on for a neckstrap for novices, although I have to say that when I have nearly fallen off, I have never managed to remember to grab the breastplate or the mane that I unplaitted for XC!!

I do think that a lot of our top riders have a lot to answer for - lots of numpties like to buy "mark todd" or "Ollie T" etc. (I was going to say a lot of kids, but know quite a few grown up people that are "monkey see, monkey want"). Obvioulsy people are going to copy them to some extent, but to actually give them something to buy just because they will is not setting a good example.

I have always wondered why a snaffle is the be all and end all bit. I'm am AI, and perfectly aware of the way it acts etc, but I still can't endorse that it is the perfect bit for every horse and that every horse should be in one. I would rather see a horse going quietly and in comfort in a harsher bit/noseband than fighting a snaffle...

Last edited:

pip6

Visit site
Go do endurance. Of the affiliated riders, 95% use a cavesson noseband, okay often not with a snaffle but these are fit horses who love their job, kinder to have a stronger bit than to pull for miles, or many even bitless. Very simple breastplates (to stop saddle slipping on steep parts of route), often no martingales, spurs are banned, only short whips allowed (very few people carry them). Riders work on pretext of using the minimum of equipment necessary as it is more weight to carry. You might find it a refreshing change. With regard to tack to suit horse, well that's were colours come into it (i.e. coloured tack), then yes definately riders choose a colour to suit their horse.

Last edited:

Marydoll

Visit site
Must say if its not on my horse then what others choose to use isnt really my concern. Im pretty sure most of them think they need it for their own reasons.
The only thing that really gets my back up is uneducated folks with gags in their horses mouths and spurs on their boots, mainly see this on sj kids.

SGCR

Visit site
I think its all to do with trends and fashion as well as very clueless people. Like some people say ''because it looks good'' which is very sad.
Theres a yard just up from me ALL the livery horses are in 3 hole gags on bottom holes from little ponys to cobs, A girl up there who brought a horse off a freind I trained after racing also has that in a gag, the horse has the most softest mouth i just dont get it.
All mine are in snaffles with caveson nosebands or not evan that and im hopeing to train them all in bitless with time, All of them are exracers that i hunt, have teamchsed and take showjumping AND local rides ect.
If a horse opens its mouth, its doing it for a reason either for pain or bad training so strapping it up with a flashes or grackles is avading the problem.
Like you going to a doctor with back pain and all they do is give you pain killers it dosnt solve the problem it just masks it.
Useing a breast plates because the saddle slips, well get a better fitted saddle if you really care about your horse and you are clueless get a specialst out. Im not having a go it just grates on me when people say it needs this blahblah then you ask why and they have no come back, beacause they dont need it! I just feel sorry for the horses tbh. x

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Life is too short to worry about what other people are doing. I for one.....brick-wall ANYONE who thinks 'they know best'....

Let them buy what they want, and don't lose sleep over what others are doing...sure, the horse might not need it, but it's not your horse, and quite frankly, has nothing to do with you.

Am I being blunt? Of course I am, because this is the problem with the horsey world today. Too many people have too many opinions on what others are doing, THIS I think you will find....it the catalyst that causes the politics in livery yards, shows and even hacking down the road....because we ALL think we know better, and actually, about 80-odd % of us.....don't.

So enjoy your horse, and sod what other people are doing with theirs. If they are blantantly abusing their horse, then of course, you have the right to intervene and ensure said animal is kept safe. If you are worrying over a bit, then let it slide.

Capriole

Visit site
^^^ what dragonslayer says.

I sort out my own horse (incidentally in a lozenge snaffle bridle, no noseband, and a saddle) and dont worry about anyone elses.
I use what I want to use and let everyone around me get on with whatever it is they are doing. Im now older and wiser and less likely to give a monkeys what anyone else is putting on their horse, cant imagine getting ranty about it! lol.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Whilst I share your concerns about people using unnecessarily harsh bits or nosebands to mimic others, I don't think it's fair about breast plates, 5-points etc - there are many reasons to use them other than slipping saddles and aesthetics. I regularly ride my young horse in one on hacks or when jumping as it does provide a more stable neck strap than a loose strap or martingale. I'd rather grab it than get left behind and pull him in the mouth.

I own a flash somewhere, but haven't used it in years, mine are all in cavessons or nothing, I own pelhams for showing, a gag for jumping my cob (helps keep him off his forehand if used lightly) and a variety of snaffles for everything else. I'll boot them up if I feel it's useful or not if it isn't required. I chose my tack according to my own beliefs on how to keep my horses. I couldn't care less if someone sees me hacking / competing and thinks "does that pony really *need* a 5-point" because it's none of their business.

I don't watch people and wonder if they need their tack, that would be unbelievably sad... I do sometimes think it would be nicer if they didn't though.

While we're at it - cavesson. Notice the lack of an "r" in there... I might rant about that in a minute...

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
Useing a breast plates because the saddle slips, well get a better fitted saddle if you really care about your horse and you are clueless get a specialst out

Oh, FGS ! What a load of utter twaddle :mad:

Endurance riders, for example, don't take care to fit saddles to their horses? Eventers too, naturally, don't give a stuff if their saddles fit either. They are all clueless of course.

Have you ever hunted on the Welsh mountains? Even the best fitting saddle may slip a tad going up the side of a mountain? To use a breast girth in certain situations and conditions is a personal choice, mainly common sense, not a fad, just plain ordinary gumption.

OneInAMillion

Visit site
I can't see why it is a problem putting a breastplate on, it won't effect the horse what I don't like is tieing heads down/strapping mouths shut for the sake of it.

When we got D he came in a 3 ring gag on the bottom ring with a grakle on as tight as you could do it up and a very tight standing martingale (because he threw his head up dangerously). Tried him in the field and it was the bit making him throw his head. Put a loose cavesson on, a plain snaffle and a running martingale and have never looked back (I would go as far to say that overbitting him/tying his head down/ strapping mouth shut scared him :( )

jsr

Visit site
Looking at the other side of the coin, I was a very much 'NO GADGETS or EXTRA'S' girlie and would proudly show off my cob in his snaffle and no nose band. Then I took the cob hunting..then the cob learnt how to bounce...then I got scared to death of the cob!!!! I fought against changing his tack because in my mind that was failure and cruel!!

Then the cob learnt he could bog off, spin and bounce (all at the same time) and many many people suggested I put a nose band on him...I wouldn't listen I protested he didn't need his gob shutting and I wasn't that sort of horsewoman than needed to do such a cruel thing to him!! :rolleyes: Then went on a ride with my instructor and he did his bog off trick nearly taking out a group of younger riders ahead of me!! My instructor took me to one side and told me in no uncertain terms that my horse was dangerous and I was being utterly irresponsible to myself and more importantly to others. She said she watched him go and he had grabbed the bit and turned his jaw so I had absolutely no way of stopping him. Sadly I agreed to try a grackle, I was mortified that I had to resort to these horrible forms of control...the next weekend I went to XC and had for the first time in years a wonderful day..no tears, no upsets, no bogging off, no spinning, and most importantly a HUGE smile on my face and a very relaxed, happy and calm horse!!!

I now ride him without the grackle for schooling and quiet hacks and use the grackle for anything exciting and it's so much better!!

So gadgets for gadgets sake absolutely I agree they are wrong but also being so PC and 'right on' can be just as stupid. ;)

monkeybum13

Visit site
What annoys me more is people who get angry at people for what tack they choose to use on their own horses.

If people want to use a 5 point then let them, surely a breastplate is not going to affect the way in which a horse performs?

Syrah

Visit site
Snaffles don't suit every horse, some people don't like being headbutted by their horse, breastplates harm no one so who cares.

It's a pity the horsey world is so judgemental and self righteous at times.