people who have no idea what their pieces of tack do. RANT

Brandy

Visit site
I have to say it annoyed me no end when another livery, who was very novice, but thought she was 'very experienced' put her young pony, which was very well behaved (luckily for the owner...) in a mexican grackle becuase she thought it looked pretty. Would be so bad but the rider hangs on her hands, jabs in the mouth over jumps etc and had the grackle done up very tightly in the wrong place.

I use a hunting breastplate as pony occasionally has need of a matingale, and I occasionally have need of a grab handle as described by Auslander....

"I like strategically placed leather handles - be they neckstraps/ breastplates/martingales - I find them very helpful for preventing bucked off-age, or for hauling myself back into the saddle when early bucked off-age avoidance tactics have failed."

horsegirl

Visit site
As I said on the snaffle rant post I don't understand why people are so outraged at things like this. So a teenager puts pretty boots on her pony, so what? Or a martingale or those ear things the show jumpers use, does it really matter to you? If the tack is hurting the horse then yes by all means mention it to them, but otherwise ignore it.

pixiebee

Visit site
I think life is too short to get upset over a 5 point Breast plate ect & I would much rather see a "harsh" bit used gently than a "gentle" bit being used harshly..

my words exactly, why get upset about a breastplate, no harm to the horse and up to the owner if they want to use it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The ones that get to me are the people who use say, a Dutch gag (head raising action) and a martingale (to stop the head going up too far) because they do not understand the action of either piece of equipment.
My other bugbear is a single-jointed snaffle, which pokes the horse in the soft palate and a flash noseband to strap the horses's mouth shut - again just because flash nosebands seem to be fashionable and many people do not understand the action of the single-jointed snaffle and how uncomfortable it can be for some horses.

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
I agree. I actually had a lesson with someone the other day who was appalled that I didn't have a breast plate on my 4yr - at this point I hadn't even started riding yet so it's not as if she thought the saddle was slipping because if it was going to slip it wouldn't have even had the chance to do so by this point! His saddle fits perfectly and never moves and never has done in the time I've owned him! The mind boggles...

Munners

Visit site
Tbh I dont care what ppl put on their horses. We all spend enough time and money on them so think its the individuals right to use what they want to!!! Agree with Dragon slayer - everyone thinks they no best!!!!!

StormyMoments

Visit site
all i can say is a strong bit is only strong in strong hands but they can be as light as you like in nice hands. a snaffle can be worse then any "harsh or strong" bit with heavy hands.

i ride in a pelhem with double reins and he wears a grackle and martigale for jumping so shoot me down! :eek:

Mike007

Visit site
Very true. When I was on livery I got loads of stick off the other liveries and staff for putting my exracer in a pelham! They'd say exracers shouldn't be in anything severe, he needs a snaffle! !!

Never mind ex racers,I have raced in a pelham .....and hunting saddle. What must the"""experts""" have thought:confused:.The other jockeys however knew exactly why my ride had this tack on. Because this horse had carved his way from the back of the field to the front at the first fence ,and jumped it from 50 ft away:eek:I got splatted and then everyone jumped on me . My choice of tack was for sensible practical reasons ,however only a select few knew those reasons.

brigantia

Visit site
I'm just amused by the whole notion of so many people having the spare cash to spend on tack and gadgets they allegedly don't need, just because it's fashionable! :p

I heard that the supposed "nutcracker action" of jointed snaffle bits was a myth? :confused:

Kaylum

Visit site
As some people dont even know what damage can be done with a snaffle (the horrible thin ones are like wire on the tongue) the main peeve I have is the condition of some bits. I dont know if you have ever checked to see if your bit is damaged but my friend had a snaffle and it had a small crack near the joint and she hadnt noticed. Now thats something that bothers me.

Breast plate couldnt care less in fact its better to have one than not.

Circe

Visit site
This is a common rant on here but I have to say in real life I have never ever known anyone to use a piece of tack without there being a reason for it.
Those who say my horse came with a martingale but doesn't need one etc , the thing is horses go very differently for different riders. So just because you didn't need it doesn't mean the other rider didn't find it useful.

Agree with this, also some horses only need a short time in a new bit/ martingale, or whatever before they can go back to a snaffle/ cavesson ( if thats what your aiming for )
Correct me if i'm wrong, but some snaffles aren't especially mild anyway ?
Kx

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Would it totally freak people out if I metioned that the Dutch Gag is technically in the snaffle family? As for a gag it needs the piece (gah can't remember its name!) that runs through the bit. I was taught this for my PC exams (a little while ago I admit). What gets me is the ignorance of people to the action of their bits (or tack) thinking just because it says 'snaffle' then it is kind! What I think is worse is seeing people jumping/riding in a hackamore and noy know of its correct usage! lol I feel that this could go on forever!