:@ people who think they get up the competition ladder with money

Inchy

Visit site
I have 2 horses which I keep at home, regular lessons off a very good trainer, one of my horses also spends 5 days with her a month for schooling when I know I have a particualry busy week. I have a groom to muck out and hack horses for me in the week. I have my own lorry. My horses both have top of the range tack/rugs etc...

So I am clearly one of those people that would annoy OP! But I work very hard and for long hours to fund my 'habit', and yes I'd like to think that the way I do it I'll be able to progress quicker up the competition ladder than if I struggled to fit it all in myself around work!

Littlelegs

Visit site
It's very easy to assume the kid with the winning pony has it handed to them on a plate. Admittedly the pony I did well on in my teens was bought by my parents, & they paid upkeep till I was 15. So I was fairgame for spoilt rich kid comments. What people didn't know when I won was that I got pony when I was 10 & she was 2. My parents had f.a. interest in my life, only time they actually saw the pony was in pics to show off to their friends once I started doing well. I never had lessons, from about 6/7 I spent my whole time at the yard working hard in exchange for advice & instruction from adult liveries. Yes, parents had the cash to buy a pony. But on the other hand most kids have parents that give a ****. I kept pony myself from 15, & got a live in wp position at 18. So it was my hard work that got me where I was, not my parents. They said I could have a box for xmas when I was 13, but don't expect them to drive me anywhere in it. So I even worked for transport to comps. But people feel better about their own shortcomings if they judge you.
My 7yr olds also done ok at local shows so far. Not through money. But because she has the advantage of a mum who can train both pony & rider. And most importantly she works very hard. The last fr she did was in spring at a local show, & she won, as she has before at this show. She's 7 btw. Clueless mummy who's 8yr old got a special, felt the need to tell her child as we left the ring 'yes darling, if we had bought you the most expensive pony & spent thousands on training & a groom you would have won, its ok for some'. She was mightily annoyed to hear pony cost £10, was backed & schooled by daughter, looked after by daughter & even prepared for the show by daughter. And I provide the free training. Funnily enough the two in that class who do have loads of cash got a special & a fourth. And second was a farmers son on his mums ancient hand me down pony, same as us, not much cash but they work hard.

StormyGale

Visit site
I think the perspective you have to take is everything in life has people who are previliged and people who aren't - as some people have already said though money doesn't always make u happy and some people have money through ways and means that they can't necessarily help - inheritance for example. I think what you have to think about is what makes you happy - if someone said to me you could never compete and have a horse I would take it, because i love my horse, spending time with him and caring for him - just because people have money doesn't mean they don't appreciate this and just becuase they get help from instructors could mean they want to improve and its not just them trying to show off, but just trying to be the best they can be. Don't get me wrong i see the lovely shiny new boxes and gorgeous horses coming out and thinking having all of that must be amazing - but you know what when i pull out my horse from a trailer i've borrowed or from a friends lorry i dont' feel any less priviliged or able to get to the top then they are - it may take me longer and it may take me a little more graft and hard work but i think if you want something you'll go after it.

Im sorry to hear about your horse and i hope in time you find another partner you feel you can take to compete along with the best of them but what you have to remember is there is no garauntee with any horse whether you spend thousands or not it doesn't garauntee you get to the top or stay there. its about enjoying it and seeing what happens and where you can get to yourself - if you compare yourself to people all the time you'll always lose - there are always people with more money more opportunities but doesn't mean you won't make it - the only person you have to beat is yourself - go out do the best you can - who cares if you beat or come second to a whitaker or anybody else if you did your best and you had fun you've won!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Last year I went wit ha friend to a local show,(I cadged a lift in her trailer) When we got there she was somewhat daunted by the 'posh' people on their horses, ten minutes later, on board her rather beautiful gelding, who she bought at a sale and has produced from a royal PITA, to a well mannered, smart chap, she too looked like one of he 'posh' people :) Perception is all. The Whitaker family had excellent tuition from their mother, on the ponies that the family had in the riding school. No priviliged background for them, working farm on land like a house end!

charlie76

Visit site
I have four horses, two dressage horses, one working at medium and one at advanced, an event horse ready to go intermediate and a young show jumper. I also have a 14. 2 hh pony that I am bringing on to sell. I have vast amounts of tack and rugs, a five horse smart lorry with full living, lessons with decent trainers, my own yard with a beautiful arena and to have all this I have worked up from the bottom, have a supportive husband and have now worked seven days a week from eight thirty am till nine pm everyday of the week. I spend the majority of my life wet, muddy and cold! I have

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
^^^^ Don't you find it infuriating when people tell you you're "lucky":D So many seem to have no idea of the graft that has been put in to be able to afford all this, assuming that it's all handed on a plate.

roanwitch

Visit site
Competing doesn't always matter, I don't remember the competitions on my old horse, I remember his whinny, and how his mane smelt, and the frosty morning hacks, and the way he ate a polo
You couldn't do it on that horse, so do it on the next, and do it for the horse you lost

BBH

Visit site
^^^^ Don't you find it infuriating when people tell you you're "lucky":D So many seem to have no idea of the graft that has been put in to be able to afford all this, assuming that it's all handed on a plate.

So true.

Most wealthy people are wealthy because you make your own luck. It doesn't just happen, only to those who inherit or win the lottery.

Anglebracket

Visit site

Success always involves a certain element of luck though. You can work very hard on something that turns out not to be lucrative. You can take a risk on good idea and end up losing everything for a variety of factors outside your control. Conversely, you don't control all the factors that lead to your success either.

I do believe that people should strive and persevere to achieve their goals and ambitions. There is nothing to gain from giving up and moaning. At the same time though, those who say "i've worked hard for this" should bear in mind that it was not just their hard work that got them where they are now. And that someone who isn't as successful as them may have worked just as hard trying. Saying "I've worked hard for this" can easily interpreted by the listener as "you've just not tried hard enough / you are not working hard enough". Which is rather demoralizing and if it is the intended message also rather arrogant.

LJN

Visit site
So true.

Most wealthy people are wealthy because you make your own luck. It doesn't just happen, only to those who inherit or win the lottery.

It isn't even that easy to inherit a lot of money these days... The Father of a friend of mine has paid 50% tax on the majority of his earnings (top tax bracket but the % has changed a bit over the years:)) and when he dies she will have to pay 40% of anything he is able to leave her :eek:

Kat

Visit site
It isn't even that easy to inherit a lot of money these days... The Father of a friend of mine has paid 50% tax on the majority of his earnings (top tax bracket but the % has changed a bit over the years:)) and when he dies she will have to pay 40% of anything he is able to leave her :eek:

That isn't quite accurate.

He pays 50% tax on his earnings over the level of the top tax bracket. He gets a personal allowance the same as the rest of us, and pays the amount over the personal allowance and up to £35k (or thereabouts) at 22% the same as the rest of us.

The inheritance tax is only payable at 40% on amounts exceeding the IHT limit which used to be around £250k but may have changed. There are also lots of ways to minimise liability for IHT and there are exceptions for spouses etc.

Pigeon

Visit site
You cannot climb the competition ladder with money alone, but then again, you cannot climb the competition ladder unless your wallet is of a healthy weight.

Kat

Visit site
Success always involves a certain element of luck though. You can work very hard on something that turns out not to be lucrative. You can take a risk on good idea and end up losing everything for a variety of factors outside your control. Conversely, you don't control all the factors that lead to your success either.

I do believe that people should strive and persevere to achieve their goals and ambitions. There is nothing to gain from giving up and moaning. At the same time though, those who say "i've worked hard for this" should bear in mind that it was not just their hard work that got them where they are now. And that someone who isn't as successful as them may have worked just as hard trying. Saying "I've worked hard for this" can easily interpreted by the listener as "you've just not tried hard enough / you are not working hard enough". Which is rather demoralizing and if it is the intended message also rather arrogant.

Very true, so many variables go into someone's success. Of course working hard is important and people (other than lottery winners) don't normally get to be well off by luck alone but luck does play a part.

For example getting on to the housing ladder at the right time - there is an element of judgement and working hard to afford the mortgage but much of it is luck, luck that the bubble didn't burst a few years earlier, luck that you were of an age to be able to get a mortgage at the right time, luck that you didn't have to sell at a "bad time" etc.

Then there is the luck that goes along with earning potential, getting into the right industry at the right time or getting in at a bad time. This can be affected by government legislation, competition, fashion, markets, technology, world events etc etc etc. I've spoken to plenty of senior partners at big law firms earning hefty salaries who know that if they were graduating now they wouldn't be able to get a job at all never mind at the firm they are running with the qualifications they have due to changes in the way the legal market operates and the supply of graduates.

Then there are factors such as family connections, these can work for you getting you opportunities or helping you to get onto the housing ladder or into a certain industry but it can also work against you. For example needing to take time out of work to care for a relative or the family having financial issues that put a drain on resources.

I agree that statements like "I'm not lucky, I've worked hard for this" can be very demoralising for a hard working person who is struggling, but I can also see that someone who has worked long hours and gone without would say that it isn't luck but graft that got them where they are. In reality it is a combination, you can be hard working and unlucky or hard working and lucky or you can be lucky and lazy or lazy and unlucky in a variety of proportions!

LJN

Visit site
That isn't quite accurate.

He pays 50% tax on his earnings over the level of the top tax bracket. He gets a personal allowance the same as the rest of us, and pays the amount over the personal allowance and up to £35k (or thereabouts) at 22% the same as the rest of us.

The inheritance tax is only payable at 40% on amounts exceeding the IHT limit which used to be around £250k but may have changed. There are also lots of ways to minimise liability for IHT and there are exceptions for spouses etc.

Ohhhh, ok! Good thing I live outside of the UK or I would be handing in some very strange tax returns! :)

maree t

Visit site
We work b@@@dy hard for everything we have and do, so yes it does annoy me when people see our place and say oh you are so lucky.
We were given one pony, one was £500 unbroken NF and we paid 1400 for each of the other two. We have been lucky in the ponies that we have got but the Nf
is a star (only 13hh and jumping 3ft 6 ) but the kids work really hard and ride a lot. They have reduced price pony club lessons and they compete quite a lot aswell. we see plenty within the PC that have it all but cant say they seem any happier than mine. One family seem to change their ponies so often I cant even remember the names, they dont seem to have any relationship with them. Our ponies tend to stay with us , we still have the first pony on loan.
Would havingloads of money help them , yes I think it would but would they be better riders perhaps if we could afford more lessons but they have so much more than most so they are happy with their lot. We would love to find somebody reliable to come and ride ours , no financial contribution just a bit of mucking out but we arent having any luck

Kat

Visit site
Ohhhh, ok! Good thing I live outside of the UK or I would be handing in some very strange tax returns! :)

It is a common misconception fueled by the media.

The tax rate isn't a straight percentage of all earnings, just a percentage of earnings over a certain level. Further there are ways of keeping the tax bill down if you wish to.

BBH

Visit site
It is a common misconception fueled by the media.

The tax rate isn't a straight percentage of all earnings, just a percentage of earnings over a certain level. Further there are ways of keeping the tax bill down if you wish to.

For those that pay tax at all or on all their earnings ;)

Hippona

Visit site
this annoys me i know someone who has

.there horses schooled for them
. able to have a proper instructor
. able to afford more then 1 horse
.able to afford there own horse box
.able to buy loads of horsey gadgets
.and seems to think they will get up the competition ladder with money and expensive horse

does anybody know of a top eventer,dressage,show jumper who gone up the competition ladder with out lifting a finger.

If I was loaded, I'd do the same....

And, most likely, so would you.......;)

Shutterbug

Visit site
Oh I would too - if I had money I would have a lesson every day on my extremely expensive showjumper who stops at nothing :D I would also be able to compete on my expensive Dressage horse who will have been trained by a top pro :D What do you mean I still need to know how to ride??? Dont be silly lol

Wouldnt everyone? :D

Jazzy B

Visit site

.and seems to think they will get up the competition ladder with money and expensive horse

does anybody know of a top eventer,dressage,show jumper who gone up the competition ladder with out lifting a finger.

OP firstly sorry to hear about your horse how horrible for you. However, nobody likes a green eyed monster and to get things in this life you have to work hard unless of course you are born into money and then believe me you spend your whole time worrying about losing it.

If you really are as talented as you say you are, put yourself out there, start getting yourself some rides, go and work on a competition yard at the weekends, anything to get yourself noticed at the same time stash every penny you earn to put towards your new horse. Stop being jealous of other people, you never know what happens behind closed doors and what could seem a perfect set up from the outside may not be so great from the inside.

Ibblebibble

Visit site

actually i don't think there is a top rider who has got there purely on money alone, there has to be some talent unless their horses are so fantastic that they can carry a complete idiot round badminton or produce a gold medal dressage test with a sack of spuds as a rider!!
of course money and the right contacts can make things easier, but that is the same in all areas of life and no matter how rich you are there will probably always be someone who is richer;)

atouchwild

Visit site
Yes, I know people like this. No, it's probably not fair. But theres nothing you can do about it Im afraid except keep plugging on.

You will probably find that people that do it are at RC level and will always do well, at RC. There a big fish in a little pond and will probably never move up because when they do, a lack of any actual talent or horsemanship will be highlighted.

However, the best thing is when I beat them on there big 20k warmblood coming off an all singing, all dancing Oakley, on my little £200 straight off the track TB in a rattly 1995 Renault Master!! And it does happen fairly often.

Ive just bought a very well dressage bred Hannovarian (who I actually intend to event cos stressage is, well, too stressfu!) who is as quirky as he is talented. He was very, very cheap (not quite as cheap as the TB but not far off!!) because of his problems, but when he goes nicely, wow. It will be a long road, but he will get there. And when I do, people will probably presume I have plenty of money to but such a nice, well bred horse. So what? I know how much effort has gone into him, and I will get more pride from that than anything they will probably ever do.
Live and let live.

SO1

Visit site
Luck is sometimes involved as some people have mentioned they have supportive husbands or family, that is I think can be due to luck as to what sort of family you are born into and not everyone can find a supportive husband even if they really want one and work really hard at trying to find one.

It is particularly hard for the younger generations as the general cost of living is higher and house prices/rent etc have gone up so much more than wages and there has even been qualification inflation too.

I think the level of satisfaction in this country is generally low as most people want more than they have. Even those who do have lots of money and can compete at the highest levels may not be satisfied as they might want two olympic medals or something else they have not yet have achieved.

Even if you do work really hard to have what you have you should appreciate that you have lots of good things to enjoy if that is you do enjoy the fruits of your labour!

SO1

Visit site
Have you thought about trying RDA they often need helper and they would also have horse that would be suitable to ride.

My sister helped out at RDA and she got to hack out some of the horses with the other helpers as well as helping with grooming and caring for the horses and leading some of the RDA riders who needed leading.

It may be an option, I am in the process of swapping rs for a number of reasons, my previous one allowed me to stay and help out, but not in return for anything.

I will start looking round when my job finishes, unfortunately, I do not live in a very horsey area and do not drive.

I am also 31 and 13 stone so that will put a lot of people off. I have aspergers which affects my coordination and balance a bit,. Although not enough to be restricting to normal, every day life, I do find it very difficult to keep my balance walking over muddy fields, especially leading horses - fallen over more than once doing that!

I will continue to look out for something though - there may be someone who wants help and even if there was no riding involved, it would keep me busy while I am not working.

Spottyappy

Visit site

Sorry to hear about your horse- I lost my homebred boy earlier this year, and it is still incredibly painful.
I wonder if the people you are thinking of are actually as well of as appears. I
work in a bank, and you would be VERY surprised by the lifestyles some people choose to live- and the huge debt they incur to do so. Living exceedingly well-BEYOND their means. Obviously not all, but there is a definate element of "keeping up with the Jones's" for some families, no matter how they do it!
We have most of the things that you mention-but are not rich. We don;t tend to have exotic holidays( £9,50 out of the Sun newspaper serves us well, or we borrow a friends caravan for a nominal sum), or even no holidays sometimes!
Yes, we currently have in excess of 2 equines, but one will be hopefully going out on loan so that will help. My daughter has an instructor, but lessons are not weekly, just as often as we can afford. Yes, we have a horsebox, which I cashed in all my savings, and got a loan to purchase.
We don't do gadgets. I do, however, look for bargains, often spending hours trawling the internet to find the cheapest deals.
I am lucky, I own my own land/stables so no livery fees- I would be hard pushed to afford one horse never mind more if had to pay livery. The ground was purchased with money my parents,many years ago, had left to them in a will.

So, just remember, things may not always be what they seem.
And, surely for the very vast majority of us whatever level we ride/comete at, fun is the most important thing!!

toffeesmarty

Visit site
My daughter competes in showing - not the same competition riding that many of you are into, but we ride at county level and this year she competed at RIHS. We have gone through the unaffiliated route first with a trailer then 4 boxes later we have a J reg 3 horse lorry with living Its not beautiful and has been unreliable but when it goes it gets us all over the country LOL. I cashed in a life insurance policy to get the first and slowly worked our way up.
We currently have 9 in our care. 4 liveries, 3 of our own and 2 loans that have been with us for over 8 years. One of the loan ponies is the most unlikely show pony you've ever seen. He is now 20 and last week was reserve champion and workers champion at the SW CHAPS show. He jumps and they do workers and HTs.
Those who know him love him but others think he is a 'donkey'. I dont care. He owes us nothing and has taken her to places we didnt think possible. He has been a champion at CHAPS champs for 3 years.
All my daughter wants to do is ride and produce for the show ring.
I have been very careful who has taught her. She is an excellent jockey and is now doing show riding for a top producer. Getting her to the shows costs me a fortune in petrol but I see it as a way to open doors and get her noticed. (You can call me a pushy mum if you want).

At home, we have slowly established a reputation for starting and bringing on ponies for other people. Several have gone on to be county ponies and we normally have a waiting list. These ponies ensure I have enough to pay the livery fees on our small yard.
When feed bills increase I teach. I also work full time running my own business. I have no groom or other help.

I agree with you that to get somewhere you need money but in our case her talent and hard work are much more important. Yes Id love help poo picking, but if you have a goal you just get on and do it.
I know losing a horse can be a heart breaking thing and there will always be someone who looks like they have it easy - would I change anything? Of course Id like to own my yard one day but in the short term it isnt going to happen.