people wont pay for my horse

brownie57

Visit site
We have sold our super 15.2 Connemara x gelding to a lovely 12 year old girl. The people have had him vetted and then they reluctantly paid a £200 deposit into my account. I asked them to do this as they were going away for a week and i wanted some kind of deposit to hold him and to make sure they genuinely wanted him and wasnt going to change their minds when they got back from holiday.

They are back from holiday and have booked a transporter to collect him, but they are refusing to bring me the cash down as they dont have time, because we live 120 miles from them, so i said thats ok, just transfer the money into my account, but they wont do this either because they dont know me and dont feel happy about doing it. They said, they want me to come with the horse and pick up the cash from them.

Now, i dont have time to drive in a horsebox 240 miles, its going to take hours and quite frankly i have more important things to be doing.

Is it me or are they being totally un-reasonable ?

DragonSlayer

Visit site
No, you are not being unreasonable.

It is now up to them to collect the horse, AND must pay for said horse BEFORE it disappears...

Not sure why they are doing this, seems a bit odd...

Stand your ground, but they do NOT get their deposit back if they turn arsey.

brownie57

Visit site
if they lived nearer i would not have a problem driving to them to collect the cash, but a 240 mile round trip is abit much, and in a horsebox it will take ages to drive all that way. I am so annoyed with them.

kirstyl

Visit site
Totally unreasonable! They may not know you, but they want to buy your horse. Stand your ground and be firm but polite, Your horse sounds very saleable so don't panic! The world of horse buying an dselling is hideous. You have my sympathies, so glad I'm out of the market for the foreseeable x

Spring Feather

Visit site
Either the transporter comes with cash or the buyers make a bank transfer into your account BEFORE the horse leaves. Do not let it get on that transporter without cash or confirmation from your bank that a transfer has gone through.

If they decide to back out because of this then make sure you do not give them their deposit back.

Also, make the buyers aware of all this before they set off.

kirstyl

Visit site
Totally unreasonable! They may not know you, but they want to buy your horse. Stand your ground and be firm but polite, Your horse sounds very saleable so don't panic! The world of horse buying an dselling is hideous. You have my sympathies, so glad I'm out of the market for the foreseeable x

And to add - when I sold my last horse, I waited for the cheque to clear until he left my yard. The new owner who was paying for transport to collect him did try to make it sooner, but it is imperative that you have the money in your bank account before the horse is handed over. People are quite often not what they seem :(

Archangel

Visit site
They are being ridiculous what guarantee have you that the cash will be there if you drive the horse over (i have a feeling it won't be myself).They need to drive over to you with the cash and just arrange transport for themselves. Honestly, what are people like.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I think that they will be asking for their deposit back soon, citing a broken contract, well two can play at that game, ask them to pay for the two weeks livery and re-advertising costs, then they will get their money back, oh as long as they come and collect it!
Seriously, be careful and be aware that a cheque can appear to be in your account but they can cancel the cheque and the bank will send the money back to them, it happened to me!

hayinamanger

Visit site
What they are requesting is unreasonable and quite bizarre. Sets my alarm bells ringing. If they are expecting you to accompany them and the horse in the transporter, why on earth can't they simply bring the cash with them?

Stand your ground on this one.

boxcarhorse

Visit site
Could you ask them to send a Banker's Draft made out in your name, with the transporter and instruct him to hand it over, when you hand over the horse?

But I agree sounds very odd!

brownie57

Visit site
the transporter is from our area, so she will pick the horse up and deliver him to them. They did ask if they could give the cash to the transporter if i did not want to come with the horse, but i dont know the transporter so im definitely not going to do that.

They should pay for the horse BEFORE it leaves the yard, what if the transporter has a crash on the motorway and the horse is injured, they wont pay for him then, and i will get back an injured horse, its all just totally weird

Tinypony

Visit site
I'd be tempted to quit while ahead, send the deposit back and advertise again. It depends on what you put on the receipt. This sounds like a tactic to knock you down in price to me. You transport the horse a very long way, arrive, they offer you less cash and tell you to take horse back if you don't like it.
Cleared funds in your account, or cash on collection or nothing. If they send a bankers draft I'd have a careful conversation with the bank when paying it in to make 100% certain when it will be cleared funds and that it can't be taken back.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Tell them that you will do it but expect payment for travel........
Absolutely not, they have shown themselves to be untrustworthy, what do you do if you drive there and there is no money and / or they want to re-negotiate.
They may not have paid the vetting bill, you don't known, why don't you phone the vet concerned, he will be only too happy to hear from you if he is still waiting to be paid.
You really don't know how many scams there are out there, could be they had a buyer for your horse, and now that opportunity [to make a profit] has not materialised.
Maybe they just thought you would send the horse to a new stable, where it stays one night and then disappears.
They may be well known scammers locally and now have to travel farther afield. They may not have a bank account and this is why they deal in cash, but they can still deposit money in to your account, but they can't get it back.

SophieLouBee

Visit site
Totally agree that they are at fault here... However I can also see it from their point of view, they probably don't want to transfer the money into your account encase horse never turns up, then they have lost a fair bit of cash and have no horse at all (obviously this is never going to happen, but some people are funny like that). How about giving them a contract that you have signed and for them to sign also? Stating that there will be an exchange of money and goods and when they have transferred the money, the horse will be delivered, meaning that they have no reason not to trust you, because if the horse didn't turn up, the contract would have been broken and then they have a pretty good leg to stand on legally. If they won't sign obviously they are dodge!! It will show you if they are up to no good, and show them that you are trustworthy!
Just an idea? Weather this would work or not who knows, but in my experience it does tend to reassure buyers that are being a little suspicious.

If you can't be bothered to faff about with that, just tell them that you had more people lined up to see him and will carry on with the viewings because they are wasting your time! Do not let the deposit go back either.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
They managed to find time to come and see the horse, now they want you to send it to them, even though they have NOT bought it, for all you know they may have told the transporter you will be paying him too, I would tell the transporter this story and see his response.

ABC

Visit site
I don't see what their problem is :confused:

When I went to see my lad I put a £100 desposit on him after the first viewing! Visited him 2 times, and gave the owner another couple of hundred, then transferred the rest the day he was being collected. At the end of the day if they want your horse so badly they'll make sure they get him by paying you!

Whatever happens don't give them their deposit back :) good luck

brownie57

Visit site
I think they are suspicious because they bought an un-suitable pony in the past and were ripped off, so i can understand, but the easy way for both parties would be for them to drive down, pay me the cash and take the horse ??

Spring Feather

Visit site
Just to point out the obvious here. When buying ANYTHING, money transfers BEFORE the goods are released or delivered. It doesn't matter whether it's a house, car, washing machine, furniture or a horse.

Stand your ground OP, these people are living in a dream world if they think they get the goods before they pay for them.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I think they are suspicious because they bought an un-suitable pony in the past and were ripped off, so i can understand, but the easy way for both parties would be for them to drive down, pay me the cash and take the horse ??

Why don't you suggest that to them? If they use a transporter who is local to them (rather than you) then they could travel with him, pay you and collect the horse.

brownie57

Visit site
I think i will say to them either they do a bank transfer or bring me the cash. The horse does not leave our yard until he is paid for. If they dont agree with this i will sell the horse to someone else.

They will lose their £200 deposit and the money they have paid for a 5 stage vetting.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Why don't you suggest that to them? If they use a transporter who is local to them (rather than you) then they could travel with him, pay you and collect the horse.
Brilliant idea, once again Spring Feather comes up with a sensible idea, it will be interesting find out if if they can come up with another excuse, I don't think the "no time" idea holds water, they can send the new transporter up with the money, thus "saving" every ones time. They won't want to pay the transporter if they are really looking for an excuse to back out of the deal or hold you to ransom, and I imagine the transporter will make sure he gets paid. you will need to ring the transporter and make sure he has the same story as you have.

LouS

Visit site
Some people really do live in a dream world, I would never expect someone to let me take a horse if the full amount wasn't in their hand/bank account.

General rule if the money isn't there the horse doesn't go on the lorry, simple. If they keep messing you about just re-advertise your horse.

Will watch this thread with interest.

Teddybully

Visit site
How they get the money to you should be their concern not yours. Just tell them the horse doesn't leave the yard either in your transport or theirs until the money is either in your hand or in your bank account. And give them a timescale to complete the transaction!

indie999

Visit site
NO way! As a buyer I paid part cash part cheque with my first purchase and we all waited for the cheque to clear(but as I had to organise collection of pony that worked out well)And really was NORMAL!

This time I am looking and have actually transferred my money into a current account so that if I find something I can have access to the cash or cheque! I would think it normal to give a deposit to secure the sale as well. I am prepared to buy as intended.

I have sold a small pony before and was handed the wad of cash as they arrived to collect and handed them a receipt for the sale!!

I would ask for a cheque to be sent wait for it to clear and then the collection/delivery is arranged.

People are so rude!

Clannad48

Visit site
A quiet word of warning - a banker's draft is not always guaranteed. And check cash is legitimate with a counterfeit currency detector pen - I found out the hard way when selling my car.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I wouldn't accept a cheque or Bankers Draft these days.... as with a standard cheque, my Bank recently told me that they never really clear! That someone can cancel them even after the usual 7 days clearing time. Sounds odd to me. It wasn't like that in the old days.

I'd ask the transporter to bring the cash when he turned up. And no, don't take the horse to the buyers yourself. If you didn't offer that in the first place, why the hell should you??