Peoples Fascination with Warmbloods?

EllieBeast

Visit site
exactly amymay, i was just about to say that a warmblodded horse is a horse with both hot blodded ancestry (i.e tb) and cold blooded (draught horses). i suppose that the term 'warmblood' is now a way of upping the price of some of these horses. i dunno, im just speculatin as i have no idea of this.

SSM

Visit site
Mine is both, she is a native breed, but also a warm blood and if I can get her energy levels up and my riding improved could give many a show hunter a run for their money. I love the breed, and warm bloods because they are usually more solidly built than a tb, I like a lot of shoulder and chest in front of me and something to take up my long gangly legs
smirk.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Well I guess im stuck straight into the "dressage diva" group so perhaps I shouldnt bother answering but anyway...

Why do people buy the warmbloods? Because as others have said, in dressage and to quite an extent these days eventing, the warmbloods tend to have the bigger, flashier paces.

Why do so many "dressage divas" and their trainers go abroad to find horses?

Because with one phone call you can have an agent awaiting you at the other end who has arranged for you to see a huge selection of horses in a very short period of time rather than spending weeks and possibly months trailing around looking at individual horses over here. These horses will all be on professional yards with no time wasting owners involved. Flights are dirt cheap these days, you can be in Holland in no time at all. Does that make us lazy? Probably but at the end of the day what people do with their money is upto them.

The above is exactly what I was planning on doing last year but a horse over here found me first. Yes, he's a warmblood and his paces reflect this although he's out of a pony mare (connemara) making him a cross. Personally, Ive had huge success with the warmblood-pony crosses as I find the pony in them seems to give them an extra leg when it comes to soundness.

I would never rule out a horse based upon breeding alone, but they need to be suitable for the job proposed. But in a couple of years, when Im looking for a youngster, I probably will go abroad to do so. I dont see why I should be ashamed of that either
frown.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
It confuses me, I always though a Dutch Warmblood was an actual native breed to them as say a Cleveland Bay is to us - is that right? Or are we saying that it is still an actual breed but a warmblood in general is a type, some imported TB x?

Have to say I'm a bit old fashioned I guess. I like TB's - the steeplechaser bred ones so chunkier than the flat ones. Can't beat a good irish bred chaser either!

Our TB was bred to steeplechase but didn't. My ginger oik is 3/4 TB, but sire was a gorgeous flat and hurdle winner, but he was quite short and upright and very araby looking really, which I though was a good match for a pony mare.

I like native crosses aswell, so really Ivy as a TB x Welsh D would be ideal but has inherited her Welsh sires temper... oops!

Mind you, my next project is an anglo arab... with a dash of welshy for good measure!
grin.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Because with one phone call you can have an agent awaiting you at the other end who has arranged for you to see a huge selection of horses in a very short period of time rather than spending weeks and possibly months trailing around looking at individual horses over here.

[/ QUOTE ]
And therein lies the answer. I think you hit the nail square on the head. I don't agree that a WB is better for eventing - you can never beat a TB IMO. However, if you are serious about your dressage (very serious) then this is why people go for warmbloods.

They have flashier paces generally speaking, are trainable - and if you buy abroad the market place is geared up to ensure that you get the horse you are looking for. We could be doing the same in this country - but the Government is not interested.

I think that the ready and easy supply of these horses has fueled their popularity and that the Germans, Danes, and to a lesser extent Czechs and Poles have been very, very savvy in their breeding programmes. The Government offer wonderful insentives to buyers comming in from abroad - and boy to these buyers flock in to buy these horses.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The historic breeding of German Warmbloods is:

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the horses were bred originally for agricultural and carriage use; from the early-mid 20th century, more thoroughbred blood has been introduced to develop types more suited to the leisure and competition rider.

[/ QUOTE ]

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It confuses me, I always though a Dutch Warmblood was an actual native breed to them as say a Cleveland Bay is to us - is that right? Or are we saying that it is still an actual breed but a warmblood in general is a type, some imported TB x?

[/ QUOTE ]

No a KWPN (Dutch Warmblood) is a horse born in Holland. Thats it.

We've got 2, Mine is mainly Holsteiner, and my sisters is Selle Francais x german TB. But they are both KWPN. Interestingly we have an Appaloosa and my horse is related to that which is from America and has no relationship at all with the other KWPN.

ElleJS

Visit site
As an eventer I have no problem with wb's. Infact my next purchase will have continental lines, due its saleability they are fab for winning at the lower levels, as professinals call them 'foolsgold' and doing a bit of showjumping and dressage to a higher level. But seriously at 3/4* levels the courses are not only technical but huge, and ISH and TBx sporthorses will always dominate. Warmbloods have been bred for so much trainability alot of the ability of being able to think for themselves is lost, a vital element when going XC at 3and4*. Alot of very good warmboods with lots of xx blood will creep thru, (I know a good few that have been at 4* but seem to break down when jumping big XC tracks over and over or become unreliable)
As for the dressage.... Moonfleet, Ringwood Cockatoo are Tb and ISH and beat everysingle warmblood entered at a higher level!
As for SJ my mare is TB by a very fashionable tb event stallion, she is advanced, and never touches a pole, we beat all the warmbloods up to 1m25 in the jump off too! She has never been lower than 2nd in BSJA.
But when I come to putting her in foal one day I will look for a continental stallion to put her to.

Parkranger

Visit site
It is a shame that our government aren't getting involved like this. There are so many good Irish TB over the pond that could be trained to a good standard but I suppose the ex racing thing puts people off.

Speaking to people the Irish TB seem to have a much more laid back personality (much like the Dutch WB I believe) and so easier to train? Not sure how true this is as I've only met one - and I brought him.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Dutch Warmblood is a general term for a horse registered with the KWPN studbook. The KWPN (Koeningclick Warmbloed Paredenstamboek Nederlands or just plain old Royal Dutch Warmblood Studbook of the Netherlands !) is a studbook of approved stallions that the KWPN assessors feel will enhance the line of breeding. It originally started as a development of the native breeds of Holland - The Gelderlander and the The Friesian mainly, and sought to improve them by way of introducing different blood....mainly TB
smile.gif
A lot of KWPN horses have Selle Francais, Trakehner, Oldenberg, Holsteiner and various other breeds in them. However, they can only be categorised as KWPN if the stallions that fathered them are approved by the KWPN.

dieseldog

Visit site
The stallions are approved by KWPN but it doesn't mean that they were first registered with the KWPN or its the only studbook they appear in - hence the influence of all the other breeds on the KWPN.

Horses imported from europe are not expensive - I don't know why people think this, they are the same price or less than english bred horses. People buy them because they do the job, they are suitable for novices to own, that comment is like saying TBs shouldn't be owned by a novice, if I said that I would be shot down in flames. WBs like any other type of horse can be quiet or sharp depending on the horse

samp

Visit site
I have a Warmblood mare and they definitiely would not suit novices as they are not always reliable but on a good day are fantastic

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The stallions are approved by KWPN but it doesn't mean that they were first registered with the KWPN or its the only studbook they appear in - hence the influence of all the other breeds on the KWPN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly....thus my reference to Trakehners / Oldenburgs / Selle Francais etc
smile.gif

Both of my boys have Selle Francais Sire's, and KWPN Dam's, although those Dam's themselves both have Selle Francais Sires.

KatB

Visit site
I havent got a problem with any type of horse as long as it does the job. It just amuses me how fashionable WB's have become, and how people will buy them because they have their heart set on a Wb and discount any other breed that could prob do the job just as well!

I was trying to explain to such a person the other day that the reason why there horse was WBxTb was because the horses Dam (TB) wasnt registered on the studbook of the relevant WB breed, but if she had been, his horse would be just a WB, because of the volume of TB in Wb bloodlines. I also explained that any cold breed x warmblood horse could be classed as a WB. He was having none of it as they werent a "named" WB. I think alot has to do with labels put on horses to make them more fashionable.

The only prob I have with alot of WB breeding is they are now starting to have weaknesses that can cause premature lameness, and they arent as "tough" as some TB or Irish lines that have bigger breeding "pools". I think the addition of TB lines will help this.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am a novice and I have a KWPN gelding and he seems fine to me. What do you mean by not reliable? Like I said, I'm a novice and not sure of all the terms yet! Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone generalising i'm afraid
shocked.gif

My two WB's (both KWPN, both very similar breeding) are like chalk and cheese. One is 100% reliable, the other can be sharp. Both however have a tendency towards being very good jumpers
smile.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
You can generalise about any horse! My TB is a soppy git, can sometimes be a bit sluggish(!) but is really not sharp at all.....my old WB was a complete baby, never bucked/reared and was always willing to do what you wanted of him....also jumped up to 4ft which saddlebreds 'don't do' apparently!

Parkranger

Visit site
It's a technical term to describe a horse who likes to groom his owner, give kisses on a regular basis and participates in general displays of random affection.
grin.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Antifaz is a warmblood and I can sort of see what the attraction is; he's got fabby paces and when he's not being a complete shite is sooooo easy to ride. Because you're sitting there so comfortably it's soooo easy to apply the leg AND weight aids. He's forward-going, responsive and he's also a very powerful jumper so you feel as if you could walk into a huge fence and he'd still barely have to make an effort to get you over... if he had a better temperament I might be converted!!

Parkranger

Visit site
I suppose I was referring mainly to dutch/euro warmbloods rather than other ones - there are just too many warmbloods around the world to compare them!

sallyf

Visit site
KWPN (Dutch Warmblood) is a horse born in Holland. Thats it.

Not strictly true we covered a KWPN mare last year with my small T.B stallion and the foal has full KWPN pink papers.
My stallion is English bred and stands in England.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
KWPN (Dutch Warmblood) is a horse born in Holland. Thats it.

Not strictly true we covered a KWPN mare last year with my small T.B stallion and the foal has full KWPN pink papers.
My stallion is English bred and stands in England.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he is approved by the KWPN right ?

Sparklet

Visit site
Assuming a warmblood is simply a mix of hot and cold blood then the fascination is quite possibly down to the fact that there are just more of them than any other horse.

They are popular because the addition of hot blood lightens the heavier breeds which would struggle with some of the disciplines horses are now used for.

Bossanova

Visit site
Technically Moon is 1/2 warmblood but I often forget this as she really is nothing like a stereotypic WB type.
I personally wouldnt set out and buy a warmblood for eventing and the only sorts of crosses I would consider would be xtrakhener or selle francais. I dont particularly rate dutch horses as eventers, mainly because they arent the sort of build I enjoy riding plus most I have ridden have been exceptionally spooky!!!