Peoples Fascination with Warmbloods?

Sarah1

Visit site
My horse is ID x WB - I agree with the comment that any dilution of TB is a WB.
To be honest I couldn't give a sh1t what his breeding is - he's a gelding so it doesn't matter anyway and I don't expect him to turn out to be the next Bonfire, Milton or whatever - he is who he is and I bought him because I loved him as soon as I laid eyes on him!
I don't care whether he's by the most famous stallion ever and worth millions - he's never going anywhere!
I love him - he's the most kind natured, genuine, honest, affectionate, loveable soul I've ever come accross and he's priceless to me.
I think it's a shame that anyone with a WB gets stereotyped.

sallyf

Visit site
No he is not approved with anyone.
They had to produce photos of foal stood up and moving and a covering certificate .
I then had to provide a hair sample from the stallion for the DNA and that was it full papers and now registered as
B. octavia .
I guess the foal had to look good enough conformationally wise.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a shame that anyone with a WB gets stereotyped

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, no I don't think that they do. However, some people like to be stereotyped because they think that owning a Warmblood carries a certain kind of kudos..............

KatB

Visit site
Yes I agree Amymay. thats what annoyes me most, that SOME (normally more ignorant people) think that just because they have a warmblood they automatically have a better horse than those that have none warmbloods! I havent got a problem with warmbloods in any way, I have a prob with the fact some people see a nice horse, and automatically presume its a wb because its a nice horse!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a prob with the fact some people see a nice horse, and automatically presume its a wb because its a nice horse!

[/ QUOTE ]
However, so many of them have the sweetest, lovliest nature - real dopey sweethearts!!

Tia

Visit site
Never been a fan of breed society WB's - never owned one - had loads over the years in for training though.....think that's why I would never own one, LOL!!

Curious thing though - warmbloods have been around forever - they just never had a breed-name.......
wink.gif

Sarah1

Visit site
Another very good point! I know someone who owns a WB and thinks it's worth 5 times more than it actually is and does nothing with it - it's such a waste of a decent horse!
Good horses come in all shapes and sizes and people should look past the breeding - never judge a book by it's cover!!!
Also, as I mentioned in a previous post my WB is one of those dopey sweethearts and that's why I love him not cos he's WB - he could be a 3 legged donkey and I'd still love him!!!!!!!

S_N

Visit site
This debate always makes me smile. I love WB's, I also love TB's - in-fact I think all horses are pretty great tbh! There is such variation within the TB and the WB and the ISH, some are good at somethings that others are crap at. It depends on the horse. Though obviously by breeding with proven lines for certain disciplines, the odds are narrowed as to what the progeny should excell at.

When I first bought B, a horsey friend said to me, "so what is she then?" to which I replied "Well I suppose she's Dutch WB as her Father was", the responce I recieved was "OOooooooo A Dutch WB eh?" I was like "Errrrmmm yeah???" It was like it was suddenly a huge deal that she was predominantly Dutch...........

joy

Visit site
I have a 3yo colt, home bred and 7/8 Irish TB he is incredibly stocky and big moving to boot, he is bred to event and I can't wait. However I only chose the Irish TB by default because the Cleveland Bay stallion I wanted to use had died.
I am pleased to say that I DO NOT have a warmblood fixation.

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a shame that anyone with a WB gets stereotyped

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, no I don't think that they do. However, some people like to be stereotyped because they think that owning a Warmblood carries a certain kind of kudos..............

[/ QUOTE ]

The simple fact is that warmbloods are produced in their thousands in Europe from AI sperm, so pretty much anybody can lay claim to a decent sire, the mares on the other hand don't have to be up to much and many will spend their lives in a stall producing urine for the HRT industry

consequently prices have dropped and the market is flooding. Fashions will change as something more unusual and therefore more exclusive becomes popular.

I have never had a warmblood, only ever had natives or ex-chasers, which did everything I need to do. I can see why the more elevated and expressive paces would be desirable in a top level dressage horse..but there are baroque alternatives i would personally look at first (unless some body would like to offer me a Fjord pony, always fancied one of those!)

KatB

Visit site
I think that hits the nail on the head Tiaribbon. They HAVE been around for ever, but its only as they've become become fashinable that theyve been noticed. There are some lovely WB around, but there are also lovely TB's, ISH's Arabs, etc etc, but you don't have the same kudos.....

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
In this pic (sorry for those of you who have already seen it)
The horse on the left is warmblood (bay)
The horse in the middle is pure TB (chestnut)
The horse on the right is Irish (grey)
I think you can tell just by looking at their heads. They are all good in their own way, but some judges prefer TBs and some prefer W/Bs. Nearly all of them like an Irish type though!
hunters1.jpg

sallyf

Visit site
i have a branded wd and he is a dope on rope thats why i own a wb .

I have two T.B stallions and you cant describe either them or there stock as sharp.
I dont think it has anything to do with whether they are W.B , T.B , arab or what .
There will be good and bad in all .
If you breed from mares and stallions with good temperaments , ultimately you will breed stock with good temperaments.
My T.B yearling filly had never been in a lorry or tied up till today when she went to her new home.
Did she create or fuss having been in overnight for the first time since March.
No and loaded quietly in a couple of minutes and was eating her haynet 5 mins into the journey.
She is about as quiet as they come as were her brother and sister , but oh there not WB's as such , actually bred to race.
Looking at the picture of the three horses i was drawn to the chestnut before i knew how he was bred because he looks so intelligent and calm with a noble look about him.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
This is going to sound like a really daft question, but do you think he looks more noble because the rider is holding his reins differently (see - told you it sounded daft!)

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! Definitely helps!

I like Irish too - but ponies are my preference.....give me a connemara or xTb connie any day.
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This is going to sound like a really daft question, but do you think he looks more noble because the rider is holding his reins differently (see - told you it sounded daft!)

[/ QUOTE ]
Not for me - it's because he has the most beautiful head, and wonderful eye.

Parkranger

Visit site
I think the chestnut looks like one of those maniquins you get in a tack shop - he's so shiny!!! lol Gorgeous though none the less! x

shadowboy

Visit site
i have this cross too and i didnt buy him because hes part warmblood either- i actually bought him because he had been neglected as a baby (he looked like a toastrack) yes he may have become a dressage star but thats not why i bought him and even if he wasnt good at it id still own him and love him, and infact my new recent purchase is a full TB ODE!

sallyf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No i think he is just a stunning horse with just that extra something about him.
This is a picture of one of my T.B stallions , who i often get asked whether he is WB.
Dope on a rope this horse follows you round pulling the straps on your wellies when you muck him out.
charlie.jpg

Malibu

Visit site
Rupert is WBXTB fom Germany. I didn not buy him becuase of good breeding or that he was half WB but becuase he had lovely movement and paces but a super jump and bold and also the half TB ensured me that he would have the speed as well as stamina! My other boy is ConxTB and a super horse but not a top dressage horse but sonic speed xc! If you think the trakehner is the tb of warmbloods closing the gap as icestationzebra said. If the horse does the job well, then who cares what its breeding is!