Personal question - what underwear do you ride in?

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Help!
After a very painful shower, I'll spare you the details! I've come to the decision that I need new knickers.
What does everyone else wear to ride in?
Any suggestions are gratefully received, as I will be hiding from my husband for at least a week, otherwise he'll be asking questions!
Thanks!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I just wear my normal underwear and can't quite understand why some people need special stuff.

Maybe I'm not putting enough effort into my riding haha!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do understand the issue you need to find the right knickers , at the moment I am comfy in the sainsburys hi leg brief cheap and comfortable I am between sizes and the bigger size are more comfy for riding.

Moomin1

Visit site
Is your saddle the right size for you? Sometimes if the saddle is too large in seat you can err become slightly rubbed so to speak...

khalswitz

Visit site
Omg, I get this problem!!! I'm fine in my wide twist dressage saddle but both jumping saddles I've owned have had narrow twists and I end up (excuse the imagery, esp if squeamish!) with blisters, or my knickers scabbed to my backside when blisters burst and start actively bleeding...

I will cry in the shower after a jumping comp - a long day in a jump saddle with a hack either way leaves me raw.

My saddle is the right size, but I am a bit... Fat... So I do wonder if it is the lardiness of my bum that is the issue.

I always wear girl shorts, can't wear anything lacy or thonglike, but have been getting best results with proper granny pants or cycling shorts.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I only wear thongs or G string, and find riding in them not a problem, cannot stand big knickers it all ends up in the crack of your bum anyway and all that material is too uncomfortable sat there for any length of time:)

Auslander

Visit site
Back in my dim and distant past, when i worked with eventers (4 hours per day in the saddle minimum), I was told by a very wise woman (WFP's mum), that udder cream was the best thing to prevent saddle sores, and to heal them if you got them). She was absolutely right.
I am however, still traumatised by the memory of walking into the tack room to find her standing there with breeches and pants round her ankles, anointing herself with said magic substance.

OwnedbyJoe

endurancedownunder.wordpress.com
You can buy the human version of udder cream, called BodyGlide which comes as a roll on and is less "thick". Works beautifully - I use it on 80 and 160km rides and keeps me from chafing.
Previous to discovering the joys of BodygGlide I used to go commando....
If that's a step too far, you can buy special running knickers which are seamless through the crotch and bum area and have "stay put" leg bands blended into the fabric. Marvellous things.
For most of my riding gear bar the jodhs nowadays I look at running and cycling gear - much more hi tech, less traditional and in most cases better at the job! But I do endurance so I can get away with it.

NZJenny

Visit site
I find anything to high cut in the leg just rides up. Seamless are amazing, and I avoid lace like the plague. After years of endurance riding, knicker fit became a very important issue, because as someone has pointed out, having to remove them once they are embedded in various parts of your anatomy is not fun.

Bra type was also of great importance. Sports bra was a must, but watch out for the placing of the mesh type stuff, because if you have to peel that out of sensitive bits, you will cry.

OwnedbyJoe

endurancedownunder.wordpress.com
Bra type was also of great importance. Sports bra was a must, but watch out for the placing of the mesh type stuff, because if you have to peel that out of sensitive bits, you will cry.
Ah, sports bras.. There's a whole nother topic!

NaeNae87 I don't know if you can buy Bonds in the UK... But I'm sure M&S will have an equivalent.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
When riding at work, for hours and hours, shorts. On my own horse a thong. This is because on my own horse I am active riding, but at work it is long slow work a lot of the time and the grinding the bit at the top of your leg into the saddle needs padding.

As an aside though, with shorts on my own horse when riding actively you can chafe between the bum cheeks, but with a thong it kind of keeps the sweat rash at bay.

The most important thing to me is to wear cotton. I know a lot of people have suffered nasties, but with cotton I never have.

Saddle injury 101....

1. Sore between cheeks, "sweat rash" - chafing with hard work and sweat - wear a thong.

2. Sore and "Elephant Skin" where leg meets bum on seat - grinding of saddle on seat bone - pad out with shorts, seat saver may help.

3. Sore "in front" - Saddle does not fit. May be size or shape, or may be unbalanced - Seat saver may help. New saddle best solution.

4. "Nasty" - Wear cotton!!!!

soulfull

Visit site
My friend has problems with her front bits getting sore. Two different instructors told her it's because she sticks her butt out too much behind her. She started tucking her butt under more and not only did her stability improve as well as general riding, but the soreness stopped :)

I've worn all sorts from thongs to granny pants. I've settled for granny pants as you don't get the knicker line

A conversation I had with dr trainer was about riding in slightly tight underwear or jods impedes my riding as I can't open bum cheeks to sit deep on seat bones lol
Incidentally she agreed 100% :)

Tern

Visit site
Ladies Half Boxers, They don't ride up your bum or doo dah usually. Had to take my jods off on Sunday in an ambulance and i was wearing my Little Miss Naughty ones... I guess they do say where your best undies for riding. ;)

I have heard some say that trimming the garden down does help or shearing it off completely - Anyone?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Sloggis for me too - the Harvest Festival variety :D

As for pruning, I'm of the opinion it helps.

NaeNae87

Visit site
Ah, sports bras.. There's a whole nother topic!

NaeNae87 I don't know if you can buy Bonds in the UK... But I'm sure M&S will have an equivalent.

That is unfortunate. :( They are amazing, come in really nice colours (as well as your boring black, white and beige), are cotton and most importantly not super expensive. I think a 3 pack costs about $30AUD... so aprox 15 quid. They also last for ages too. And those are the reasons I love Bonds!

AND i just checked their website, they ship to the UK ;) http://www.bonds.com.au/os/#

LittleMonster

Visit site
Normal bra but with a top to stop them saying hello to the world xD! and Granny pants! :D

just to add 'no hair' is helpful to me anyway lol

Rode in a thong once, was like a chainsaw in rising trot wouldn't recommend!

B&J

Visit site
Normal bra but with a top to stop them saying hello to the world xD! and Granny pants! :D

just to add 'no hair' is helpful to me anyway lol

Rode in a thong once, was like a chainsaw in rising trot wouldn't recommend!

OMG Crying laughing, you've made may day!!

risky business

Visit site
Just granny pants.

Can't say iv ever been rubbed by my knickers when riding even after hours? Maybe it's down to riding style (how you sit and move) that affects where your underwear ends up?

Auslander

Visit site
Merino wool pants are in my opinion, the best for keeping you cool, dry and comfortable. i know the inclusion of the word wool makes them sound hot and scratchy - but they aren't!

Shantara

Visit site
Mens boxers. Not "girl boxers", but actual boxers made for men. I'm not really affected either way, but they are the most comfortable by far!

Only been rubbed once and that was because I had carpet burn on my bum (friend messing around, not anything else haha!!) and riding just made things sooooo much worse!!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I didn't think I would get some many responses, thanks!
I think I'll try bigger pants and anti chaffing stick.
Thongs are a no go as I still have a scar from 10 years ago after hacking in one. Never again!

Ibblebibble

Visit site
never had problems in the pant department and i've worn all types, i'm past thong age now so tend to wear girly short type ones, mind you i have a HM seat saver and wouldn't be without it, think that helps a lot.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Men's, they are the most practical for active stuff. Can't abide lacy ladies undies for riding, or anything else where you need to keep 'em on :)

Casey76

Visit site
For me it depends on which jods I'm wearing too.

My preference for every day riding are shortys or a thong both must be cotton or microfiber though. With my heavy cotton winter jods, commando is most comfortable (with judicious lady gardening).

My lacey Brazilian cut knicks are definitely left for office wear!