Personal question - what underwear do you ride in?

khalswitz

Visit site
I never ever got chafed until I got my current horse. He is. Very long striding, slopey-walking thoroughbred, and that is what started off hurting me - long hacks when he is striding out. Narrow twist saddles make it worse too. Never had a problem on any other horse over 15 years, but I do with him in various saddles and knickers!!!

catwithclaws

Visit site
Back in my dim and distant past, when i worked with eventers (4 hours per day in the saddle minimum), I was told by a very wise woman (WFP's mum), that udder cream was the best thing to prevent saddle sores, and to heal them if you got them). She was absolutely right.
I am however, still traumatised by the memory of walking into the tack room to find her standing there with breeches and pants round her ankles, anointing herself with said magic substance.

LOL a friend of mine used to work for WFP and said the exact same about his mum - saw it with her own eyes too! You're not alone :p

wattamus

Visit site
I never had a problem before I got my new horse as she is quite long striding. I've found the only thing that I can ride in is a thong without getting too uncomfortable.

The shaved or unshaved option has never made that much of a difference (apart from when it's growing back!) ;)

Having said that I do have a bum that naturally kind of sticks out and doo tend to ride on my ahem "chuff" I've tried tucking it in but I end up with a rounded back and shoulders...........

Lots of good hints and tips- I may just have to borrow them! :D

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I always ride in bog-standard cheap and cheerful no-seam stuff from Primark. Doesn't cost a fortune and I don't know I'm wearing it coz there's no seams where it matters.

Prior to this I rode in Sloggi passion-killers and they are fine too.

The thing to avoid is those nifty little brief things that get in all the wrong places and start shifting around:( - also I've tried wearing a thong thing and it was as bleddy comfortable as wearing a cheese-wire; NEVER ever again!!

Tip: bear in mind underwear if changing from an "ordinary" leather-seat saddle to a suede-covered seat one - suede will grip in all the wrong places and isn't always the best choice for a comfy knicker situation!

wattamus

Visit site
Tip: bear in mind underwear if changing from an "ordinary" leather-seat saddle to a suede-covered seat one - suede will grip in all the wrong places and isn't always the best choice for a comfy knicker situation!

Ooooh this may be my problem- suede seat! maybe get a seat saver :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
M and S passion killers, tucked in my bra and turned inside out if the horse scares the sxxx out of me and I have an accident in the trousers.

LittleMonster

Visit site
The shaved or unshaved option has never made that much of a difference (apart from when it's growing back!) ;)

Hahaha this made me laugh but its soo true! :D

OUCHHHHH!!!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think I'm doing something wrong as have never ever been chapped 'down there'. I always wear just normal cotton briefs, nothing fancy or lace.

Me too, even on all day in the saddle rides. It is M & S ladies briefs for me, plenty of room and cotton. The one and only time I had trouble was wearing some "boy pants" boxer types. NEVER AGAIN. They ended up where they weren't supposed to and it was the most painful thing ever.

Dizzle

Visit site
M&S Black Cotton Knickers, the low cut ones, I think they're either called bikini or mini.

I stopped riding for 5 years, when I came back to riding my first lesson back I ended up doing nearly 45 mins of work without stirrups, in jeans... and a thong.

Dear god, not only were the muscles in my legs so trashed I had to cancel the next week's lesson as I still couldn't walk, the chaffing meant I was using sudocream for a week! OUCH!

Last edited:

Emma_H

Visit site
Was out riding with my friend years ago and was adjusting a wedgie. She was laughing at me and asked why I was wearing pants anyway?
She always rode commando so I tried and have always ridden that way since. It's really comfortable and I don't have any issues with zips etc in the gardening department.

Never had a problem except....a bit of an issue when I had to go to hospital with groin strain after a fall, had no pants so had to wear their paper ones!!!

ecb89

Visit site
I can wear a pair of m&s seamless little shorts for one lesson and they will be fine, and then wear them again (obviously washing in between :D ) on another lesson and they can cut me to bits! I'm guessing it's a different saddle, didn't think of this before I read this thread. It's so sore!

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Commando!! On an 80km or longer ride, I can't be doing with seams in the wrong places.. Berlei sports bra up top.

Like another poster, I started riding in running/cycling kit a few years back and it made the world of difference. Much more technically designed, much more able to cope with hard wear, and significantly cheaper as it doesn't have the word "horse" attached to it. Oh, and better colours too!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Another one who goes commando . . . haven't found a knicker yet that didn't chafe somewhere delicate.

P

JulesRules

Visit site
Plain standard cotton pants for me. I also have a couple of pairs of girly boxers and haven't had an issue with those either.

Like most I avoid anything with lace like the plague, and even find a tiny bit of trim around the legs can cause problems, especially on a hot day.

The only time I had a problem was after changing saddle when I got a bit sore "up front". Funnily enough I just got used to it after a couple of week though and have no issues with the same saddle now.

BSL

Visit site
m & s "brazilian cut"? no vpl, as they seem to be best at the mo, used to wear thongs but unfortunately botty has got a bit bigger lately, so not as comfy

Wishful

Visit site
Definitely no thongs. Any of my plain cotton or seam free microfibre type knickers. Definitely no lace - discovered that the hard way after making an incorrect choice in the morning. High legs or shorts types fine so long as not too large or too small.

TMI alert - at the monthly time of inconvenience I prefer external to internal protection after an incident with the string shifting to where it shouldn't be. Ouchies!

EA73

New User
Visit site
I always rode in a thong but now riding a different horse couldn't understand why it wasn't comfortable so everyone saying about different saddles makes sense.

Up top I wear Berlei horse riding bra. Much more comfortable and flattering than sports bra. It's is only available from lessbounce.

They also do matching riding briefs they don't move but I found the padding a bit uncomfortable but that could be as I have plenty of padding already!,

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Commando? Sounds painful!

Not at all. But then I have the world's most comfortable saddle... specialized trailmaster!

Riding a lot of km at speed exposes any potential areas for rubbing/chafing, and I've never had any problems.

Unless you count getting dressed for a pre-work ride and forgetting to put underwear in your bag.... currently wearing running shorts under my dress!!!

cptrayes

Visit site
Can the people going commando tell me where they are getting seamless jods from? All mine have a front to back seam in the crutch that I would hate to have next to the skin.

cptrayes

Visit site
Not at all. But then I have the world's most comfortable saddle... specialized trailmaster!

Riding a lot of km at speed exposes any potential areas for rubbing/chafing, and I've never had any problems.

Unless you count getting dressed for a pre-work ride and forgetting to put underwear in your bag.... currently wearing running shorts under my dress!!!

I forgot my whole suit once. I had to nip to the local shops and buy a dark skirt and a white blouse. Lucky it was hot or I'd have had to fork out for a jacket I didn't need as well :)

Lucky you had your running shorts with you :)

LittleMonster

Visit site
Omg! this thread is brill :D LOL!

Commando! your brave ladies, i don't think i could i'm always paranoid about my time of the month...
i do like my granny pants it reminds me that i get to go riding!!! (OH hates Sunday Granny Pant Days lol! xD )

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Can the people going commando tell me where they are getting seamless jods from? All mine have a front to back seam in the crutch that I would hate to have next to the skin.

Running tights. Made the switch after running a couple of marathons without any rubbing. I figured if I didn't get any chafing after that, I'd be fine riding in them.

sarahann1

Visit site
Whatever I happened to have picked out of the drawer that morning, never had a problem, not even riding in Spain for hours without a break.

Never knew folk had bother until I joined this forum, I must be lucky!