Pet Dremmel for Dog's claws.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Does anyone use one of these? Our boy is a bit twitchy with the clippers, and having black claws, I'm worried I'll cut too high. So I was wondering about one of these dremmel things. Been on Amazon and there's dozens, but I don't have a clue which ones are best. Are they ok for the average person to use? or best left for the professional groomers?

scats

Visit site
I’m a groomer and I have a dremel as well as various nail clippers. They can work with some dogs but they take a long time to do each nail and a lot of dogs don’t like the sensation. You also have to watch that any long hair doesn’t get caught up in it.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Thanks Scats - useful to know - they're not that expensive, but I still don't want to invest if the dog gets upset!

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
My greyhound that screams with the clippers only protests by pulling away and removing himself from my reach when I try to use one.

planete

Visit site
I have successfully desensitised my three lurchers and one terrier to the dremmel. It took some time, and a good dose of bribery and patience but they are fine with it now. You have to ensure cooperation and never try to hang on to a paw if they pull away, just reassure and not be in a hurry. It took several weeks before I could do a full trim at one sitting but we now whizz through it in ten minutes each.