Pet hates

Irishcobs

Visit site
I can not stand flash nosebands that are so far down the horses nose. Surely its not hard to do the caverson up so the flash sits in the correct place, eg. not interfering with horses breathing!

People who hack in dark clothes. I almost ran over local p2p trainer yesterday as she was riding bay leading chestnut wearing a black coat, hat and jods!

Spoilt children, I have to deal with some at work that come of lessons grrr, they look down at you because your a groom!

beh

Visit site
Young nervous children with wizzy, expensive ponies. I always feel sorry for the child hanging onto its ponys mane with a look of terroe on its face.

And out of the horsey scene, i absouklutely detest sniffing, in exams and lessons its terrible, i am actually goin to buy some ear plugs (wierd aint i lol)

georgiegirl2

Visit site
people who dont sweep up outside their stables or leaving mess around the yard. Actually its not even a pet hate I have to admit i'm very anal about it!

huggz

Visit site
All of the above plus
People who don't tie quick release knots in things that need to release quickly.

People that pick out feet/groom etc outside the stable & don't sweep up.

"Borrowers"...strange sneaky beasts that all yards have.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I dont hate gadgets, I think they are very useful, but only in the hand of knowledge.
People who over horse themself- you cant handle it- have done and sell it, please.
Rude people- out hunting and in the warm up ring. You dont need to get up my horse's bum, you dont need to jump a 1.40m jump for a 75cm class and you dont need your hands that far up.
Loud children/teens on horseback, whether it be practising at the local unaffed evening sj with their mates, whooping, or managing to jump a small hedge out hunting, whoops are not needed.
Spitting and swearing on horseback- it did used to be a high cultured sport.
Riding in trainers- its dangerous.

dwi

Visit site
Dog walkers who say their dog is just being friendly when it runs up to Daisy yapping but would sue if she kicked

The forestry commission who are trying to stop us hacking in their wood

Weezy

Visit site
People who use tack that have NO idea how it works or what they are using it for

People who constantly look for appreciation (I am sooo crap, I look fat, scuse the riding)

People who hunt without knowing the etiquette - its not hard to ask if you dont know, not difficult to say thank you to the gate duty, really not rocket science to turn your horses bum away from the hounds, etc

People who hog warm-up ARGH

People who think their horses legs will fall off unless they are bandaged/booted/trussed up like a chicken

People who OVER RUG THIER HORSES
mad.gif

People who clip just because - I mean WHY?!

Think I had better stop now!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remind me to never ride near you, I can swear like a trooper sometimes!
blush.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
People who think their horses legs will fall off unless they are bandaged/booted/trussed up like a chicken
People who hunt without knowing the etiquette - its not hard to ask if you dont know, not difficult to say thank you to the gate duty, really not rocket science to turn your horses bum away from the hounds, etc

[/ QUOTE ]
Lou you are me in disguise.

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Remind me to never ride near you, I can swear like a trooper sometimes!

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, times and places yus, i must admitim guilty, but there was a girl out with us today that was about 10, and every other word was f*ck...

Bess

Visit site
I agree with every pet hate posted so far, and you've covered my main ones. So just a couple to add; people who abuse yard rules and ruin things for the rest of us who abide by them, and people who out hacking want to trot everywhere possible and canter every grassy bit (including verges) and then wonder why their horse tanks off with them at every opportunity. I was always told that for every time you canter somewhere then you walk it twice or three times, then the horse won't anticipate a canter and misbehave.
mad.gif

Stella

Visit site
There are various things, but my pet hate is stuff that feet (people's and horses) can get caught in - like hay nets and things that can injure - like forks, being left out around the yard Grrrrr ...
mad.gif

And the swearing on horseback ..... I may have been known to
blush.gif

Haflinger

Visit site
Rude horses
generally rude people - in the warm up arena, getting up everyones ar*es and hogging the jumps. ARGH can't stand it!!
Riding in trainers
People taking things into their own hands when its non of their buisness.

Tia

Visit site
Nothing really bothers me on my farm - I leave people to do whatever they want.....so long as there is no negligence or cruelty and then I never become involved.

There is only one thing that ticks me off - over here all my double gates have chains rather than latches, and it bugs me when people twist the chains around in figure of eights and doing it very tightly, instead of just loosley going around the other gate. I have asked them not to do it and most do them up like me, but I have one who seems that no matter how many times I ask him, he just cannot get it! Doh!

dwi

Visit site
What is wrong with plenty of trot and canter on a hack? Daisy understands that she has to behave herself on a hack but we need to hack for her fitness. We have to pay extra to use the manege at our yard so the only way to work on her fitness is to trot and canter out on hacks.

Tbh I am more annoyed by people who buy expensive horses and then don't move out of walk on a hack for fear of what might happen. I was at one yard as a teenager where the liveries only ever hacked in walk. If you can't control your horse you need more lessons or sell it but don't make people feel bad because they can cope with their horse.

CastleMouse

Visit site
When people use training aids and they have no idea how to use them and/or their horse doesn't need them! And when people use such a strong bit with a young horse, you'll ruin their mouth!
mad.gif
People who don't have correct ettiquette out hunting, and when people cut you up before a jump out hunting drives me mad!
mad.gif
And when I see people hacking out without reflective gear, how irresponsible!
mad.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Tbh I am more annoyed by people who buy expensive horses and then don't move out of walk on a hack for fear of what might happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you are saying but not all horses are steady hacks.
I couldn't do a lot of trotting and cantering out on hacks with Finni as TBH it just fries his brain!

Jemayni

Visit site
People who "work" there horse through lameness! If its gone lame don't make it worse.

(BTW not a pet hate in arthritic horses as I do appreciate they are just stiff and still getting out of bed when you first get on etc...)

Bess

Visit site
It was me that said that bit about trot and canter on a hack. I have no problem at all about it except that it doesn't always have to be in the same place! That was my gripe, we have various places on a hack to trot and canter and I (and most of my hacking partners) agree that we vary it so the horse doesn't anticipate when we trot/canter/walk. It was a very personal pet hate I have because one person I sometimes go out with wants to canter everywhere and then wonders why her horse carts off with her at every opportunity.

lorenababbit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
People who use tack that have NO idea how it works or what they are using it for

People who constantly look for appreciation (I am sooo crap, I look fat, scuse the riding)

People who hog warm-up ARGH

People who OVER RUG THIER HORSES
mad.gif

Think I had better stop now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Weezy are you a long lost twin? I cpouldnt have put it better myself!! And yes we had better stop as we are getting close todescribing one or two persons i could mention!!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Lots of things, lots of the above annoys me too, i cant stand know it all's, screaming/badly behaved children/teens, dogs who dont stop barking when you ask, people who over horse them selves, people who have a horse for status and not anything else,people using my stuff without even asking, liars, terrible drivers! and lots more no doubt! lol
smile.gif

kerrylou123

Visit site
i have so many pet hates, it would take me all night to type them!! But my most favoured pet hate has got to be the thick people jumping the practice fence the wrong way! Don't they know what the flags mean?!?!?!?

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
People who pat their horses really hard to say well done. Horses do not recognise the pat. They don't pat one another. A scratch or a rub is what they understand. Our pony shies away if you pat her hard and it makes me cross to hear all that slapping of necks.

And folks putting the practice fence a foot higher than the fences in the ring!