Pet hates

filly190

Visit site
When people have said they have poo picked the field. To walk round it and see lots of little bits everywhere that they have missed. This makes my blood boil. I belive everybit is just as important.

gemma1992

Visit site
My pet hates are when
- people don't wear any fluorescent gear at night
- people don't acknowledge you for slowing down (when I'm biking/running/ or parents driving)

teapot

Visit site
when people automatically assume that if you ride at a RS you are a.) a complete novice and b.) you only ride the stereotypical RS horse

when people ride their horse for a good hour, supposedly working on getting into an outline and by the end the horse's front end is fixed into postion & the back end is heading into the sunset. Outline comes from behind people
mad.gif

And the "every horse must be in a snaffle". Whyyyyyy? When I had Baron I had 2 choices - be in the snaffle and not be able to stop - dangerous if I were hacking/hunting/competing etc or use a different bit (was a pelham actually as was preparing for a M&M class), use it correctly, and I barely used the curb rein, but was in control and felt much safer alround

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Pet hates:

Browbands that are far too big & either look like the peak of a cap or they droop over the horse's eyes.

Riders who think their horse is in outline because they've cranked his neck right in with draw reins or other gadgets.

People with a 15h-15h1" horse who compete it as a 14h2" on a life height certificate. (touchy subject I know)

Farriers who always leave the bits of hoof, nail ends etc all over the yard...ive never seen one clean up.

Above all, discourtesy & rudeness.
frown.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
Horses that get fed too much hard food and then the owners wonder why it misbehaving - not the poor horses fault.

People saying Hup as their horse goes over a fence

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yes yes yes - hacking isnt about going fast!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Bummer
frown.gif

oh and please excuse my REALLY skinny legs.
tongue.gif

My pet hate....
People who expect me to dawdle for miles behind them when we catch them up out hacking just because they cant handle their horse if mine goes past. Excuse me.

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
"when people automatically assume that if you ride at a RS you are a.) a complete novice and b.) you only ride the stereotypical RS horse"

Exactly! And when they presume that you know nothing about stable management, just because you don't have your own horse.

Another pet-hate of mine - Sarky instructors, helpers or grooms. They're being paid to keep an eye on the kids, no need to be rude about it! GR.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
People who think they are 'it' and are rude to those they see as 'below' them. We don't all want flashy horses, some of us prefer the hairy bog - standard ones.
People sticking their oar in.
People who take uncontrollable horse hunting, WHY?? It's mean to be fun for all involved. The times I have been nearly mown down at a meet....
Lazy owners, who cannot be ar$ed to get off their backsides and look after their own horses.

eekmon

Visit site
Ill fitting bridles ( nosebands, bits too low, flashes too loose)
Over rugging
Over clipping ( e.g hunter clipped when horse just does light hacking)
Hacking on roads with no flouresents
Rude, spoilt horses with no stable manners
mad.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
People who ride in doubles just because it is the in thing to do for showing.
When people give their horses a hunter clip when it only hacks on a weekend.
Parents who let their kids run round and scream at competitions.
People who think their horses are so well behaved then it drags you across the yard.
Disrespectful people, those who when warming up come so close.

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Lazy owners, who cannot be ar$ed to get off their backsides and look after their own horses.

[/ QUOTE ] People who think they are superior to those of us who are on full livey because they are on DIY! Does Shovelling sh$t a good owner make?
crazy.gif
Is it really people not getting off there backsides that is the pet hate? or is it that they can afford to not get off their backsides? Anyway, we are usually off our backsides working long hours doing something else when we would rather be with our horses
cool.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Hate seeing horses in things they dont need. Too many people wack on a flash noseband for example without even thinking if the horse needs one. Same with bits, seeing little children with strong bits in their ponies mouthes when the pony clearly does not need it.

Hate selfish people at jumping competitions hogging the fences. And their grooms who run out to play about with the fence without bothering to look and see if anybody else wants to jump it......

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
People who have read 4 Robert Maxwell/Kelly Marks books and think they are qualified to advise everyone else on the yard exactly how they are going wrong with their horses

Pushy parents who tell you at the start of the lesson... 'Chelsea is ready to canter today' - I mean, hello, who is the instructor here?

Parents (usually same ones as above) who look for someone to blame when their child falls off rather than just accepting it as part of learning to ride (obviously within reason).

Parents who buy their kids totally unsuitable horses just because they like the colour.

And finally... liveries/parents/visitors to the yard who have a go at the stable girls when they have a problem with something. The stable girls are all about 14... they work very hard and try their best. If you have a problem, yell at me - taking it out on the kids is just bullying.
mad.gif

Can you tell I had a good teaching day on Saturday?
wink.gif

darksided

Visit site
Oh yes!
A couple of local owners have looked down on me in the past because I can only ride once a week at a riding school, and therefore they believed they had the authority to patronise me and speak down to me.
Arrogance= main pet hate of mine.

And riding school riders who turn up late to a competition. Some of us make every effort to get there early and muck out/groom/plait/clean tack/warm up/etc yet there are always a few who are sharing your horse and turn up late and don't lift a finger.
Laziness and unpunctuality= another pet hate.

Mid

"Parents who buy their kids totally unsuitable horses just because they like the colour."

My parents are the opposite xD If they see something with a 'modern' colour(appaloosa, cremello, paint), they are convinced that they are only selling for the price they're put at because of their colour! :p

Patchwork

Visit site
As a DIYer - totally agree with Stella!

And as for all those who said owners look down on them as riding school riders - I find it just as annoying when people in the 'top group' at their riding school think they have reached the top of the equestrian tree and throw around a load of stereotypes about rich, spoiled Pony Club members with their own horses... which reminds me of one more: People with a chip on their shoulder.

smile.gif

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Oh yes - my pet hate is the one where people monopolise the jumps in a warm up ring and keep changing them to suit their child - and when you ask politely they shout at you and complain to the judge! Had this a lot at Wilmslow! Otherwise a nice show.

Mid

"I agree with your parents!"

I do, sometimes. It's only their irrational fear about piebalds in mud that I find slightly disturbing ^^'

More pet hates:

Little RS kids that think they know EVERYTHING o_o I'm a little RS kid, but I know the values of modesty!

When people offer to do lead-rein duty and then drag the poor ponies with the tiny riders on around the arena, scowling and muttering the whole time.

People who over-dress their ponies.

RS kids who hog certain ponies, claiming that their parents are going to buy them.

RS kids who don't like horses or riding. You'd be surprised how many I know! o_o

People who kick their ponies. Not whilst riding, but when they're leading and the pony paws the ground or something. I know it's a random hate, especially when I don't have any problems with elbowing or a good bottom smack, it just really annoys me.

darksided

Visit site
RS riders who can't stick to passing left to left

RS riders who walk on the track when you are riding in open order- especially when you are behind them
mad.gif

RS riders who put saddle on the wrong racks, and tangle up bridles

RS riders who don't make an effort to be friendly with their fellow riders, it's nice to be on good terms on the other riders in your lesson

RS riders who consider themselves better because they are Sunday helpers

riding schools that don't even give you a smile or thankyou for a day of leading ponies in hot weather and hours of brushing the yard and stacking the muck heap

riding schools that do everything for their Pony Club centre members at the expense of the other customers eg the decent lesson horses being used by PC kids all the time, competitions being exclusive to PC kids (come on, it's unfair on the adults, and non-PC members) and showing days/Christmas parties always being exclusive to PC members

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ignoramuses, cheapskates, spongers, liars, corner-cutters, and most of all people who buy horses and refuse to vaccinate, worm, shoe regularly, etc because it's expensive. Of course it bloody is!! That's why they're called horses!!
One person on my yard encapsulates ALL of these
mad.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, I hope you don't mean people on full livery, just people whose horses don't get enough care!
I used to do my horses myself but now I don't and I can't say I miss the mucking out at all (although I do sometimes do it!)
Having PF on full livery has given me lots and lots of time to ride her, which is much more fun, plus I get to spend more time with HER than poo picking, etc, etc.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] People who think they are superior to those of us who are on full livey because they are on DIY! Does Shovelling sh$t a good owner make?
crazy.gif
Is it really people not getting off there backsides that is the pet hate? or is it that they can afford to not get off their backsides? Anyway, we are usually off our backsides working long hours doing something else when we would rather be with our horses
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
no, I fully understand those who have full livery because they are working or can afford to. If you can afford it why not? BUT it's those who moan about things not getting done, but cannot be bothered to do it themselves. Some people enjoy shovelling sh*t, some don't, fair play, but if you don't then either employ someone to do it (ie go full or part) just don't lave the horse in a mess then moan about it.

JessPickle

Visit site
UMMM people that assume all RS horses are plods and easy rides and not "real" horses!

People who insult you when they look pretty bad themselves

Really loose baggy curb chains like ones that would be able to go right over there nose!

People who ride there horses when vet had advised them against and even begins to "get him back into jumping) this actually happened!

People who feel if you are on full livery you dont have great knowledge of horses

People who hog the school and always change the rein and get in your way

Sorry started to rant

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, I hope you don't mean people on full livery, just people whose horses don't get enough care!
I used to do my horses myself but now I don't and I can't say I miss the mucking out at all (although I do sometimes do it!)
Having PF on full livery has given me lots and lots of time to ride her, which is much more fun, plus I get to spend more time with HER than poo picking, etc, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

again, no, not those on full livery. Those who just CAN'T be bothered. And then moan that they have to do SO much, when they don't actually do much at all. If you don't want to do it, or havent time, then go full or part.

loobylu

Visit site
Lead-ropes clipped on facing the horse's lip, annoys me no end...tis sad really!
Riding on the roads without a hat/hi-vis gear/whilst on the phone with one hand on reins.
Numnahs/saddlecloths that don't fit the saddle- ie are too small and edge lies under the panel/point.
People who become so engrossed in one method that they think it is the answer to everything- eg 'oh he must need his back done' as an answer to every horse and every problem.
Most of all- people who don't want to learn. I most likely drive people up the wall with my questions but every little snippet of information is worth thinking about and may come in handy some day.