PETPLAN AND THEIR TOTALLY ABYSMAL SERVICE

paddy555

Visit site
Some heart breaking stories here. Paddy555 - I hope your dog gets better soon. Clicking 'Like' seems heartless, we need a 'Care' or 'Feel for you' button.

thank you. At least with my dog I am in charge and I could pay the bills if I had to. There are some sad stories but it is reynold's that is really upsetting. That was just so callous.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Don't bother with Facebook - as you have found, they can delete your comments. Twitter is the way forward as anything tagging them, only you can delete as the author. Keep Tweeting about your appalling service, how you get no response, do not recommend, avoid etc etc and I bet you'll get a name to contact like sh*t off a shovel. A friend has issues with a VW garage, got nowhere via phone, email and Facebook, I tweeted on her behalf as she doesn't have Twitter and had a name in Customer Services contact her within the day.

Just what I was going to say! I got a response from Ocado within 10 minutes, when I took to Twitter because I was getting no sense from their Customer Service Dept - and suddenly they understood what i was saying, although we had been going round and round in circles about an offer they had made and then reneged on.

paddy555

Visit site
Just what I was going to say! I got a response from Ocado within 10 minutes, when I took to Twitter because I was getting no sense from their Customer Service Dept - and suddenly they understood what i was saying, although we had been going round and round in circles about an offer they had made and then reneged on.

I've just joined twitter and shall now start posting comments about their service.

That is not really the problem though. The customer service comes back asking sufficient details to identify your claim. This is what you get told.

Thank you for getting back to us with your details. We are so very sorry that you are still having to wait for this claim to be assessed and closed and hope you will accept our sincerest apologies for the delays you are experiencing. Especially when taking into account that the vets have done their part and you both have got the claim to us for assessment, the fact that we are failing to uphold our part by assessing the claim is very poor service.

They are sorry. Not only are they sorry they offer their "sincerest apologies" It is very poor service. PP and I are agreed. We have absolutely no problem in agreeing the level of their service. :rolleyes:

Would it now be possible to move onto rectifying the level of their service by perhaps doing something about it? That is the bit we are stuck on!!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I've just joined twitter and shall now start posting comments about their service.

That is not really the problem though. The customer service comes back asking sufficient details to identify your claim. This is what you get told.

Thank you for getting back to us with your details. We are so very sorry that you are still having to wait for this claim to be assessed and closed and hope you will accept our sincerest apologies for the delays you are experiencing. Especially when taking into account that the vets have done their part and you both have got the claim to us for assessment, the fact that we are failing to uphold our part by assessing the claim is very poor service.

They are sorry. Not only are they sorry they offer their "sincerest apologies" It is very poor service. PP and I are agreed. We have absolutely no problem in agreeing the level of their service. :rolleyes:

Would it now be possible to move onto rectifying the level of their service by perhaps doing something about it? That is the bit we are stuck on!!!

Publicising the problem via Twitter is very likely to get your claim moved on, because the company doesn't want the bad publicity. Do let us know!

Ratface

Visit site
thanks. It has no doubt reached the inbox, it seems to be having a little more problem reaching the "outbox'` :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Paddy555, I'm so, so sorry that you're having to go through all this ghastly behaviour from PetPlan.
I fully insured all my horses/dogs/cats with them for decades. Fortunately, never had to claim a penny. Until one of my horses slipped and fell, fooling around in the paddock. Got up hopping lame. Called his wonderful equine vet. Examined and recommendations made and followed. Horse came right and returned to work load as agreed by vet.
Four months later, colicked: same vet attended. Sadly, horse unable to be saved and was pts on welfare grounds.
Claimed off PetPlan policy. Whole claim refused. Colic apparently sequelae of previous lameness. Vet wrote lengthy report refuting this. PetPlan again refused to pay out any proportion of the veterinary fees.
I paid off the vet in instalments.
All my animals are now insured with NFU.

SEL

Visit site
thank you for your comments. I hoped someone with experience from the vet side would comment. Did you find this happened often? What if they didn't pay for say 3 months? would the vets just carry on chasing? at some stage would they expect the owner to lodge a formal complaint?

If I was your client would you expect me to sit back and do nothing. Never been in this position before so a bit lost. :eek:

this is a fairly large vet's of 2 hospitals and a 3rd practice (not a small one man vet practice)
The pony's surgery was done in Nov and they didn't pay out until Feb. For the first part of the claim I'd paid the vets and PP had reimbursed me pretty quickly (asthma drugs etc). Because it was a pretty big surgical bill and an existing claim I didn't pay the vets and assumed PP would settle quickly. The vets put all their paperwork in a few days after the surgery. The surgeon was external so they had to pay his fee.

I was really, really embarrassed when I got my statement at the end of Jan and PP still hadn't paid. That's when I started chasing them and hitting brick walls. The vets were great with me but annoyed with them. The vet nurse who handles their claims was also chasing PP who kept blaming the hold up on me - when I spoke to them they blamed the vets. When we discussed it and went back to PP they blamed COVID ?

Then I got formal and started being more threatening in my complaint email.

I hope you get a resolution soon but I'm sure the vets won't blame you - they must annoyingly get this all the time.

Illusion100

Visit site
the thread title is in caps and in bold deliberately. As that is how I feel about them. If you are considering an insurer find somewhere else. If anyone has an idea how I should deal with them I would be grateful.

dog insured PP, vets fees 7k
dog got very seriously ill,
vet is completing the claims and I am paying them an admin fee to do so.
no problem with vet, they have done a good job with the dog and with submitting claims.

first 2 claims submitted and paid pretty quickly, no queries, no problems.
PP advised me vet should keep submitting continuous claims
vet has done this.

Up to here life was perfect.

3rd claim submitted 6th Oct. no reason for it not to be paid 3k. well within the 7k limit in total.
received by PP and shows up on dog's insurance claim history screen so no doubt they received it and noted the details correctly

heard nothing, assumed PP had queried it with vet

screen showed date of 20th Oct when it was expected to be d/w
20th came and went.
no query to either myself or the vet

web chat to PP, advised there were no queries on it and as 20th had expired they would send chaser to underwriters to close it.
nothing happened

rang PP, usual 30 mins of rubbish music but finally got a person who advised reason it had not been d/w was it had not actually been allocated to an assessor. ie they had had it since 6/10, and done precisely nothing.

he would send e mail to claims group leader and ask for action. Advised I was annoyed, he agreed, told me poor service, apologised many times. Asked about complaints procedure and he basically said it was useless and would take forever. I totally trust his judgement on that.

nothing happened.

Couldn't find any way of finding anyone in charge so put a message on PP's FB page. They obviously removed it and it didn't go on their FB page but someone contacted me. Took details, came back, told me memo's had been sent to group leader etc etc. Claim correctly made, I had had poor service, not good enough, apologies, all the usual crap. They would log it as a complaint. I would get a reply in 4 days.

I haven't.

has anyone had success in dealing with PP or any other company in this sort of position.

how do I get PP's insurer's to get it on their system and at least say something about it? the situation seems to be it is in a black hole and can't dig it's way out.
this seems to be the most extraordinary situation to be in.

Hope I'm reading this correctly as in this is a continuous claim and therefore the 3rd time you've claimed for the same condition?

If so, it seems like they have lost your claim folder.....which should be kept in the storage library...

Fruitcake

Visit site
I've had the horses insured with PP for years and have, unfortunately, had to make a few claims. Ive always found them really helpful and fair. In all cases though, the vets have dealt with the claim and any payment has been made directly to them. In the one instance where there was a slight mix-up with paperwork, it was the vet's office team who chased it and sorted it. There's usually a charge at most vets for insurance admin. This covers them doing all of this stuff. You shouldn't have to do it.

I hope they find what's wrong with your poor dog. It's stressful enough when they're ill, without the added worry of no diagnosis.

paddy555

Visit site
Hope I'm reading this correctly as in this is a continuous claim and therefore the 3rd time you've claimed for the same condition?

If so, it seems like they have lost your claim folder.....which should be kept in the storage library...

yes continuous.I am not sure they have lost anything because if I call up my account all 3 claims are there. 2 paid and 1 unpaid with an expected settlement date now passed. It is like they received it, logged it into the system and then haven't sent it to the assessor to consider.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
PetPlan and E&L are owned by the same parent company so it sounds like PP has sunk to the appalling levels of E&L rather than bringing E&L standards up.
I know a few vet clinics that don't accept direct payment from PP for this reason.
About 15 years ago i had to contact the ombudsman as PP were playing the game where they pretend not to have received a claim that had been mailed , emailed and even faxed.
I think raising a formal complaint is the way to go ,it might finally get their attention

Illusion100

Visit site
yes continuous.I am not sure they have lost anything because if I call up my account all 3 claims are there. 2 paid and 1 unpaid with an expected settlement date now passed. It is like they received it, logged it into the system and then haven't sent it to the assessor to consider.

It should have been designated directly to a claims handler.

I imagine things have moved on and perhaps claims are computer stored now instead of paper folders.

I don't have any other advice other than your claim history hasn't been stored properly. Best of luck, no one needs this stress about a dearly loved animal.

teddypops

Visit site
PetPlan and E&L are owned by the same parent company so it sounds like PP has sunk to the appalling levels of E&L rather than bringing E&L standards up.
I know a few vet clinics that don't accept direct payment from PP for this reason.
About 15 years ago i had to contact the ombudsman as PP were playing the game where they pretend not to have received a claim that had been mailed , emailed and even faxed.
I think raising a formal complaint is the way to go ,it might finally get their attention
Are they?

KEK

Visit site
Petplan are terrible. I have my older sports dog insured with them and have had a few claims (luckily nothing huge) and EVERY single one I've had to fight them to pay. I'm a vet and everything was correct in terms of paperwork etc. Now, we seem to be having the same problem as you guys (here in Australia), they are pretty much ignoring the claims when they get them. Took them 3 months to pay out for a chiro visit and I'm not holding my breath for the shockwave I've put in yesterday. Its very annoying you can't change insurers due to the pre existing condition issue. My younger sports dog is insured with Trupanion , they have an excellent reputation in the sports world in the US, claimed once only, so far so good.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
you have a complaint logged. How do you know, what proof do you have, do you have a reference or number?

reason I ask if they told me this in their response to my attempts on FB

I have raised this as a complaint for you and will keep an eye on your claim for you and

can I trust them to have done so (highly unlikely I know)
I shall be going to the ombudsman at the first opportunity and I need to make sure the complaints procedure has been adhered to. ie I have made a complaint
thanks

I had an email confirming receipt of my complaint and advising of timescales for response and that they have 8weeks to investigate before I have the right to go to the FOS. The last response I got was:

I’m still working on your complaint. As such I’m afraid I’m not able to give you a decision just yet.

I’ll be in touch again soon

Just to reassure you I’ll come back to you by Wednesday 3rd November 2021 and if I’m unable to make a decision by this date I’ll explain the reasons in writing.

Haha! I look forward to that!! It's a £70 bottle of thyroid medication that they haven't paid for and they need to respond to me pointing out that they make it very difficult to claim for anything not bought directly from my vet. Or the most difficult or complex complaint ?.

Complaints handling is regulated so they do have rules about it and do need to confirm actions they are taking and timescales for response to you such as that excellent example above! ?.

Maybe ask if they are following the DISP rules set out by the FCA... That should ensure appropriate actions (although sadly not that it will actually resolve anything any quicker).

twiggy2

Visit site
thank you for your comments. I hoped someone with experience from the vet side would comment. Did you find this happened often? What if they didn't pay for say 3 months? would the vets just carry on chasing? at some stage would they expect the owner to lodge a formal complaint?

If I was your client would you expect me to sit back and do nothing. Never been in this position before so a bit lost. :eek:

this is a fairly large vet's of 2 hospitals and a 3rd practice (not a small one man vet practice)

If you had paid us as a surgery to deal with the claim then we would be dealing with it for you, its supposed to take the onus and stress off you, its what your paying for, there were occasions where if it was a well known long standing client that difficult claims would involve the owner too but that would be rare. It would be my job to chase the claim on your behalf.

paddy555

Visit site
If you had paid us as a surgery to deal with the claim then we would be dealing with it for you, its supposed to take the onus and stress off you, its what your paying for, there were occasions where if it was a well known long standing client that difficult claims would involve the owner too but that would be rare. It would be my job to chase the claim on your behalf.

thanks for that

paddy555

Visit site
I had an email confirming receipt of my complaint and advising of timescales for response and that they have 8weeks to investigate before I have the right to go to the FOS. The last response I got was:

I’m still working on your complaint. As such I’m afraid I’m not able to give you a decision just yet.

I’ll be in touch again soon

Just to reassure you I’ll come back to you by Wednesday 3rd November 2021 and if I’m unable to make a decision by this date I’ll explain the reasons in writing.

Haha! I look forward to that!! It's a £70 bottle of thyroid medication that they haven't paid for and they need to respond to me pointing out that they make it very difficult to claim for anything not bought directly from my vet. Or the most difficult or complex complaint ?.

Complaints handling is regulated so they do have rules about it and do need to confirm actions they are taking and timescales for response to you such as that excellent example above! ?.

Maybe ask if they are following the DISP rules set out by the FCA... That should ensure appropriate actions (although sadly not that it will actually resolve anything any quicker).

perhaps it's not just a bottle of thyroid medication, it must be an M & S gold plated bottle of thyroid medication to warrant that amount of attention.

oh dear, I think they are going to find my claims somewhat more complex and I hate to tell them they are still ongoing until the vet has found a method to stabilise him long term.

Still, it's nice to know what the next responses are from them..Lots more kicking the can down the road. :p

Abi90

Visit site
My horse as insured with Scottish Equestrian who are PetPlan. I’d claimed from them twice before no problems. This time they agreed to pay within a week and then took 6 months to pay… there were excuses and promises and “it will be paid by Friday” and it dragged on for months and months and I had the Vet’s chasing me! I finally put in a formal complaint and threatened them with the ombudsman and it was paid within days

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Claimed off PetPlan policy. Whole claim refused. Colic apparently sequelae of previous lameness. Vet wrote lengthy report refuting this. PetPlan again refused to pay out any proportion of the veterinary fees.

If this was any time in the last 6 (I think) years, you should take them to the small claims court or at the very least raise a complaint with the insurance ombudsman. To link colic with a lameness many months previous is simply outrageous.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
They are indeed part of the Allianze group.

Further to my complaint with them, I have just had a call and Final Response letter telling me they had done nothing wrong, they have paid my claim correctly. The complaints lady confirmed she'd checked with a colleague and it's definitely correct. As they have taken 8weeks to respond I didn't have all my paperwork to hand during the call. So on receipt of their formal complaint closure letter, i have replied to ask why they haven't paid me as per the other invoice I sent and asked if they wanted another attempt at a Final Response before I go to the FOS.

I have very quickly received acknowledgement of my 'new' claim and they don't know how they missed the second invoice and they will reassess.

You cannot make up this level of incompetence over a bottle of medicine!! What really need me off was the sympathetic "poor stupid customer doesn't understand" tone on the phone to me. ?.

paddy555

Visit site
They are indeed part of the Allianze group.

Further to my complaint with them, I have just had a call and Final Response letter telling me they had done nothing wrong, they have paid my claim correctly. The complaints lady confirmed she'd checked with a colleague and it's definitely correct. As they have taken 8weeks to respond I didn't have all my paperwork to hand during the call. So on receipt of their formal complaint closure letter, i have replied to ask why they haven't paid me as per the other invoice I sent and asked if they wanted another attempt at a Final Response before I go to the FOS.

I have very quickly received acknowledgement of my 'new' claim and they don't know how they missed the second invoice and they will reassess.

You cannot make up this level of incompetence over a bottle of medicine!! What really need me off was the sympathetic "poor stupid customer doesn't understand" tone on the phone to me. ?.

they're great aren't they. :p
I got notification a few days ago of my formal complaint ie I have a complaint ref. no etc so if they carry on being a PITA we are ready to go further. In the meantime I am leaving it with the vet to see what happens.

Yesterday I got notification from PP that they had received my claim. That is the next claim the vet has put in for last weeks exam, medications etc. We will see what happens now. Will they pay this claim and ignore the last one, will they finally realise they have the last one and pay both or will they pay nothing in which case we can gear up for battle idc.

Decisions, decisions! I wonder what they will do. It's almost getting to be exciting checking my e mails to see what happens next.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
they're great aren't they. :p
I got notification a few days ago of my formal complaint ie I have a complaint ref. no etc so if they carry on being a PITA we are ready to go further. In the meantime I am leaving it with the vet to see what happens.

Yesterday I got notification from PP that they had received my claim. That is the next claim the vet has put in for last weeks exam, medications etc. We will see what happens now. Will they pay this claim and ignore the last one, will they finally realise they have the last one and pay both or will they pay nothing in which case we can gear up for battle idc.

Decisions, decisions! I wonder what they will do. It's almost getting to be exciting checking my e mails to see what happens next.

I've liked your post, but obviously don't actually 'like' it or what you are having to put up with. Hopefully they will pay both your claims in a timely manner!! ?

Velcrobum

Visit site
PP refused to pay out close to £4000 claim after my boy did his tendon badly. They refused on the grounds that they did not have his full vet record. This was due to a vet I used for about 3 years having retired and destroyed his records. They knew that vet had retired as he submitted claims directly. They did have all the subsequent 15 years of records. They said he might have damaged the tendon when he was young and under the 1st vet, the fact the horse had a good BE and BD record was irrelevant...........

flying_high

Visit site
I have had a positive experience with Petplan recently, they paid my claim (to the limit of my £5K cover), promptly and with no hassle. Paying each vet invoice in a timely manner, keeping me updated by text and email.