Photos of my pony's injury. Warning quite graphic

Minxie

Visit site
Five years ago my pony lost a fight with an electric fence - he was just 2. And although i can't ride him he's happy and healthy and is still the same bloody menace he was before the accident.

I got hold of some picture of his injury which reminded me how lucky i am to still have him and how amazing the vets and nurses at the Glasgow Vet School were to get him through it - a thousand thanks to all involved.

Also I think its a good example of how far vet meds have come and if your horse is hurt don't assume the worst

Oh it was his near hind leg which was injured

Photo 1 - just 7 days after the accident. The front of the leg
grin.gif

[image]
09-08-04-1.jpg
[/image]

Photo 2 - front let 14 days after - notice the wire mark scored into the bone

[image]
Turbo160804.jpg
[/image]

Photo 3 - the left side

[image]
Turbo2160804.jpg
[/image]

Photo 4 - the right side
Turbo5160804.jpg

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
WOW!
That has to be the second most shocking injury I have ever seen in my 25+years around horses.
(First place goes to a Huntsmaster's horse from Ireland who I met at Bourton Vale. He impaled himself on a fence post straight through the chest and carried on hunting! I honestly could have put my head in the hole left)
Your vet team must be amazing!

D

Donkeymad

Crikey
shocked.gif
How horrendous, glad he's still alive, allbeit as a much loved field ornament.
grin.gif

trendybraincell

Visit site
WOW...I was not expecting bone!!

How lucky that you still have him, like Mavis said, I will no longer complain if the tape snaps...I will thank my lucky star instead!

Yes would like to see what it looks like now?

Chestnutmare

Visit site
holy.....bleep....thats just horrendous poor pony that is truely amazing that he recovered alebit it a field ornament...how is the leg now?
wasnt expecting to see bone thats for sure...

bushbaby28

Visit site
oh my god!!! what happened? just got caught up in it??? How horrible. I can't even imagine walking down to the field to see that....must have been horrific.

kickandshout

Visit site
oh my god !! graphic doesnt even start to cover it !!!
im shocked !!!!
well done to all involved in the healing process and a well behaved patient he must of been to cope.
please tell us what kind of tape/ wire ??
and a recent photo would be great.

mle22

Visit site
OMG - what a nightmare that must have been. Poor pony and poor you and well done to all involved in his healing. x

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
sorry that is dreadful. at least he has a loving mummy to keep as a lawnmower. All mine are all fenced with electric tape, but not the most expensive!! and if they run through it it does break! unlike the expensive type which does not break and causes injuries such as these! and horses are cute and listen before trying to break through and go on tour!!!! a reminder to us all to check the enegizers or mains feed!!!

Rudey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Five years ago my pony lost a fight with an electric fence - he was just 2. And although i can't ride him he's happy and healthy and is still the same bloody menace he was before the accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
Oh my word!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I read the bit I have just quoted, and questioned to myself 'how the hell can a horse lose a fight to electric fencing and cannot be ridden?'.... your photos painted a not so pretty picture! I am one of the most squeamish people ever, what on earth was your reaction when you saw that!? How long did it take to fully heal? Have you any 'now' pictures??
confused.gif

That is one hellish injury!
crazy.gif
xx

Rhee

Visit site
Horrendous,
My mare had just same injury in July tho luckily she was found within an hour of it happening and vet at Dalehead horsepital managed to find the tendon ends and catch them. After 4 months box rest shes just started to go out again and healing well, tho touch and go for a few weeks.Luckily prognosis now is very good for returning to being ridden eventually.
Our accident happened flirting with a new gelding next door, electric wire at 4'6 on extenders on opposite side of the fence, judging by the skid marks she must have bucked, kicked out and come down on top of the fence.
Just goes to show, you never know what can happen, i remember thinking that she, like the hunt horse mentioned, could have been impaled and not be here with me now.
I too would love to know what it looks like now as we are still on multiple bandage layers for support, stabilisation and protection.
well done to pony and you- it takes nerves of steel to deal with, each bandage change is a nightmare, not knowing what is going on underneath.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Holy moly that's pretty impressive!! Last year one of our foals lost a battle with electric fencing and completely severed her extensor tendon. It was most gruesome but she's pretty much sound now, about 7-8 months alter, although she still has a fat leg. A miracle as YO is CRAP about attending horsey injuries on time!!

cattysmith

Visit site
That's absolutely amazing! I've never seen an injury that severe on a horse that hasn't had a sad outcome. The wire mark is pretty scary. Do you have any pictures of what it looks like now? Is he physically sound now? How big is he (just wondering if he's smaller then it may have helped his outcome.)

What a lucky pony, I bet it was a worrying time for you.