• I rarely ever pick out feet

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don't, the farrier does it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Following a conversation I had today, I'm curious as to how often you pick out feet.
Even for field kept horses and ponies and ornaments.

I'm a 3-4 times a day, before riding, after riding (I ride in the morning) and again at tea time.
The 2 mini lawn mowers get done daily at tea time.

Poll coming up.

TPO

Visit site
On average it's only once a day just now, in the morning before they get turned out.

It should really be when they come in but by the end of the day my back is really screwed and they are all muddy ?

When they are ridden hooves are done before and after as the front of the yard and tracks are stoney

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the shod ones get done on coming in from field because they pick up boulders from the track. and then don't generally pick anything up until going back out, one very flat footed steed, one seems to be self-emptying

unshod ones.... as and when I think of it :oops:

Polos Mum

Visit site
Before riding - but for youngsters maybe once a week when they come in - we're still learning to do it nicely. We're in stone free ground and TBH they'd be filled with mud again before I made it back to the yard if I picked them out in the field

oldie48

Visit site
I put twice a day but basically when needed so it can be more than twice. If I've taken her to use an arena, she gets her feet picked out before leaving the stable, then she has them done before going into the arena and again when she comes out. My stables are straight out into the courtyard of our home so she gets her feet picked out everytime she is taken out of the stable and then again when she comes in from the field as we have stoned paths.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
the shod ones get done on coming in from field because they pick up boulders from the track. and then don't generally pick anything up until going back out, one very flat footed steed, one seems to be self-emptying

unshod ones.... as and when I think of it :oops:
My tinies in the very dry spring and summer are done on a day with a T in it, that reminds me.... so, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Otherwise if winter wet or soggy weather, they are done every evening.

ihatework

Visit site
The stabled/working ones twice a day.

Field kept not working ones, very rarely!! Although I am doing one of mine most days at the moment to ensure compliance - as soon as it’s solid I’ll stop.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I put twice a day, which is when bringing out of the stable to remove the poo and when bringing in. But, if I am hacking it will be 3 times a day.

I also dry-scrub and hoof dressing twice a day. I use fancy French stuff, it keeps hooves looking great.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
My lady is on part livery & turned out for me in the morning - I pick out her feet when I bring her in & check them after hacking or riding on the farm.

If I was turning out I'd pick them out before too.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
The conversation I had today brought up friends lawnmower ex polo pony which had been a pain for farrier last week. Turns out feet are only touched every 8 weeks when farrier does them. She was moaning about a, pony being naughty and b, that 'apparently I have to treat it for thrush' ...... I was stunned into silence!

Surbie

Visit site
Usually at least 3 times a day when he's in and twice a day when he's living out. I religiously pick out when I bring him in to ride and then again after riding. On his day off it's just once unless he leaves the field. He gets expensive stuff on his feet around the nail holes too, and the red horse cleanse & hoof stuff pedicure at least once a week.

He has enormous feet and likes a lean, so picking them out can be quite a work-out.

Spiritedly

Visit site
I put twice a day but it actually varies, the ponies who live out are done twice daily. The others are done at the same time if not ridden, if they are then they are also done before and after ride. When they are stabled they are done when they are brought in and before they go out...yard rule is to pick feet out before leaving stable to reduce amount of muck scattered across the barn...if they are ridden then they will have feet done again either before or after depending if they are ridden before turning out or after.

Widgeon

Visit site
The conversation I had today brought up friends lawnmower ex polo pony which had been a pain for farrier last week. Turns out feet are only touched every 8 weeks when farrier does them. She was moaning about a, pony being naughty and b, that 'apparently I have to treat it for thrush' ...... I was stunned into silence!

*wow* :eek:

Griffin

Visit site
I put once a day because that is the absolute minimum. I will also pick out after I have ridden before going back into the field/stable.

Even if I am leaving out in the field, I will go in and pick out feet because I just don't want her walking around on stones.

WandaMare

Visit site
I'm relieved to see no one has gone for 4 or more times a day :) I know its an important part of daily care but that would be slightly worrying :oops:

Roxylola

Visit site
I generally pick feet as soon as I bring in (or arrive now they're in), then I might do them after riding as well depending where I've ridden - more if I've been in the arena or on soft ground. I voted once a day because it's always at least that. I know plenty of people who dont seem to though

chaps89

Visit site
And she's wondering why there's a problem?!
Takes alot to silence you, you must have been stunned :p

I put once a day but it's usually more.
Always once a day for companion, minimum once a day for madam, often 2, maybe 3 times.

Cragrat

Visit site
Mine are barefoot and in work- and pretty much self-trimming, self - maintaining. I pick them out if I hear/feel I need to, but definitely have a quick check a few times a week just in case.