Pics and vids for those who asked...

kerilli

Visit site
Can I ask who you used and how much it cost you. I'm very sceptical ( because I am a massive sceptic about pretty much everything!) but someone suggested it might be useful for BH's mystery lame leg ( I decided to just turn him away in the end btw, at least three months but probably six I expect)

Sorry to hijack!

sorry, didn't see this... i use Faye Keyte, pm me for her number if you like. i find the thermal pictures very useful, along with a lot of other things obviously, i would never use them in isolation.

update - Flo is going pretty well really. my cameraman is a bit on strike at the moment but i'll try to get some more vids taken later. i have got the jumps up bigger and am working on keeping the canter even more up and round, and the rhythm feels good. She's jumping very nicely and cleanly, no oopsy moments at all, but front leg style still not as ace as i'd like... but i've tried sending her on a little more to fences here and there and it's been fine, she's very happy to go on a slightly longer one or a slightly deeper one, we've had no disagreements or awful 'shall i or shan't i try to get another one in' moments which is what she apparently did before.
i really tried sticking to LouiseM's very contained and channelling style as I was told, not giving with the hands at all in the air, just putting them together on the withers and holding, but the mare was starting to really not enjoy her jumping that way, so i decided i was in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. So I have tried to mix LouiseM's way in with my way, rather than going 100% for a system that is so containing and alien to the way i ride... hope that makes sense. we have some progress but i'm not sure about trying her over fixed fences or not... mare's owner says not... so, bit of a quandary really.

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
You have probably thought of all this, but would it be worth taking her to a SJing competition to see if she can keep jumping well under pressure, before seeing how she deals with fixed fences? Or maybe something like jump cross - so you have the varying terrain etc but the safety of knock down fences?

What was the outcome of the overhaul? Did anything get treated? Just wondering...

PS how are your invalids? Becoming less invalid I hope!

kerilli

Visit site
FF, yes, showjumping is on the cards next, i wanted to get her back a bit better first and have superdooper person booked for 12 June, soonest he could get to me. Have considered jumpcross too, luckily the biggest U.K. centre for it is only about an hour from me, it'd be a good way of feeling what she's like xc without the danger of fixed fences if she has a sudden 'i don't know how to jump' moment... at the moment though, having run the latest vid past some very experienced people whose opinions I really rate, I am rather tending towards the 'pig to sing' theory... for her sake even more than mine. Never known such a conscientious horse, she'd be absolutely perfect for anyone who didn't ever want to jump fixed fences, basically!
the invalids are both turned out and both coping, thanks for asking. we had hare coursers around 2 days ago though and Ellie got a bit upset and managed to slip over twice, just lost her back end, she's stable as long as she concentrates on it basically. neither is absolutely 100% by any means but they both have a nice quality of life, they have their mates with them, can canter about and don't fall over etc so that's something. Whether either will improve enough to be rideable and useful I have no clue and nor do the vets apparently... but at least they're both still here, and where there's life there's hope.

coss

Visit site
please keep the updates coming as they happen - i keep coming back to this thread to see any progress reports :)
great to hear your plans for her and what you're doing to try and tackle the issue.

kerilli

Visit site
please keep the updates coming as they happen - i keep coming back to this thread to see any progress reports :)
great to hear your plans for her and what you're doing to try and tackle the issue.

will do, thanks.
the general consensus on the latest vid is 'definite improvement, but not enough for fixed fences yet'.
12 June is D-day, we'll see what my ace back person thinks and does with her...

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Well I hope super back person comes up with something that might make a significant difference, or failing that you and her owner can come up with a 2nd career that she will enjoy. I imagine it must be very fustrating/disapointing that she is not her mum.
As other have said, please keep us updated. It is always interesting to follow these stories and what people try etc.

Glad to hear the invalids are doing OK and enjoying life. Horses recover from some incredible injuries and I hope in 5 yrs time you will be collecting ribbons and telling people 'you would never believe it but 5 yrs ago she couldn't walk in a straight line....'
In the mean time this staying on your feet buisness is tricky you know! Beau almost stacked it on the lunge by trying to look one way and walk the other..... :cool: ;)

wizoz

Visit site
Hi K, not going to read other comments just wanted to give my 10p worth ;)

This girl has BIG movement but for me, isn't supple through her neck and doesn't want to use her shoulders, I feel she is a little on the forehand and therefore when I watch her jump, she dives over a fence and doesn't lift her front end.

For me, the key would be in the flatwork, lots of suppling exercises and lots and lots of moving her forward and back in the canter, making the canter as small as possible, which will probably be difficult for her but I'd love to see her sit more behind.
She needs to be lots more rounder and a bit more "up" in front. Having had Boo, who jumps like her but is smaller and probably a bit tidier in front, I know how important the "Up" training has been.

She needs long and low work and then up work, so that she is constantly using all the muscles through her back.

Raised poles on the floor are a good exercise, really gets her to think about where her feet are going and using her body, having to lift those legs over each pole.

I have no problem with taking horses back to real basics. She likes her jumping, you can see that, I think her body parts are letting her down, not her head ;)

Handing over 10p :p

CalllyH

Visit site
Sorry I'm sure you said that at the beginning, it normally helps them to learn but maybe she's destined to be a pretty dressage pony instead! Go flo!