pics of Ellen Whitaker riding at home, in H&H this week...

trick123

Visit site
Yes we were commenting on that, bit silly when it obviously a photo shoot for the magazine, poor horse though if it has to have draw reins on even for photos. What does it have normally I wonder?

Kentisheventer

Visit site
surely shed know they were doing a photo shoot and try to look "proper"!?

Or perhaps she just cant ride on the flat without them
wink.gif
tongue.gif

kerilli

Visit site
FinnMcCool, yep, me too! no, the draw rein is the one which is leather at the top and white rope from 1/2 way down the neck, running through bit rings and between legs, shown very clearly... it's below her little finger, and is definitely tight. the normal rein is brown and goes through the martingale ring, and is between her 2nd and 3rd finger, and is loose...

[ QUOTE ]
surely shed know they were doing a photo shoot and try to look "proper"!?

Or perhaps she just cant ride on the flat without them
wink.gif
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha Kentisheventer, i wish i'd had the nerve to say that!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it's below her little finger, and is definitely tight. the normal rein is brown and goes through the martingale ring, and is between her 2nd and 3rd finger, and is loose...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear
frown.gif

kerilli

Visit site
Talavera, just because you haven't ridden at that level doesn't mean you can't comment...
it's a bit like the furore over the whole 'blue tongue' debacle... hardly any of those who are upset about what the video showed have ridden at that level, but that doesn't mean we can't see that certain things aren't right...

teddyt

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
... and in the caption it says something like "horse enjoying some downtime" or something
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i couldnt believe that! Poor horse cant even hck out in a natural head carriage. Maybe the downtime means the head isnt hoicked in quite so far!
crazy.gif
I too was quite surprised to see that in 2 photos both horses had draw reins. Shows they are obviously commonplace and she doesnt often ride a horse without them. There were loads of shanked bits in the tack room photo too.

I was tutting after i had read it!

Halfstep

Visit site
Oh for god's sake! Sorry but come on people. So bloody what if her horses are in draw reins, she's not a dressage rider, her horses are healthy and successful, surely there are lots more things out there for you to worry about. I think that many, many competition horses are hacked out in draw reins for safety reasons. I'd rather see a horse ridden well in draw reins than hollow, inverted and above the bit. Shoot me down. Sorry. Don't be so bloody judgmental. Sorry rant over.

Flame_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather see a horse ridden well in draw reins than hollow, inverted and above the bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
If a horse is ridden well without draw reins, it shouldn't be hollow, inverted and above the bit.
confused.gif

Lolo

Visit site
Because she's good! You may hate the way she turns herself out, or the way she rides, but she has inspired hundreds of little girls to give SJing a bash- my sister still has a poster from quite a while ago of Ellen on Henri de Herne, because the horse looked similar to her flying cob. If she can make younger jockeys want it more, and make it cool, she has my support.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
I really try desperately hard not to get involved in these sort of posts - but I just can't resist this one.

Well said Halfstep. Couldn't agree more.

And as another forum member would say.... like we're all so bloody perfect.....
tongue.gif

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
[ QUOTE ]
Oh for god's sake! Sorry but come on people. So bloody what if her horses are in draw reins, she's not a dressage rider, her horses are healthy and successful, surely there are lots more things out there for you to worry about. I think that many, many competition horses are hacked out in draw reins for safety reasons. I'd rather see a horse ridden well in draw reins than hollow, inverted and above the bit. Shoot me down. Sorry. Don't be so bloody judgmental. Sorry rant over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant agree with you more!

For gods sake - i know the girl has made mistakes, and been seen to be quick with her hands and stick before but her horses look happy and well cared for.

She looks relaxed at home and the interview shows she is just a normal girl who - like her or hate her - is damn successful at what she does.

As for her being a pin up for showjumping - why not? she is young, pretty and talented - i also wonder how much pressure she feels being so high profile?

Her mistakes get chastised on this forum - her wins hardly get a mention.

Pick fault if you see it, fine!
But i hate the way the girl can do nothing right as far as this forum is concerned.

3BayGeldings

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant agree with you more!

For gods sake - i know the girl has made mistakes, and been seen to be quick with her hands and stick before but her horses look happy and well cared for.

She looks relaxed at home and the interview shows she is just a normal girl who - like her or hate her - is damn successful at what she does.

As for her being a pin up for showjumping - why not? she is young, pretty and talented - i also wonder how much pressure she feels being so high profile?

Her mistakes get chastised on this forum - her wins hardly get a mention.

Pick fault if you see it, fine!
But i hate the way the girl can do nothing right as far as this forum is concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this too.

teddyt

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think that many, many competition horses are hacked out in draw reins for safety reasons. I'd rather see a horse ridden well in draw reins than hollow, inverted and above the bit. Shoot me down. Sorry. Don't be so bloody judgmental. Sorry rant over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know quite a few top competition horses and none of them are ridden out in draw reins. They are super fit event and race horses though, not show jumpers
tongue.gif

A horse doesnt have to be hollow and inverted. You can also achieve a round outline without draw reins too. Its not one or the other
smile.gif

Sorry if you think i am judgmental but yes, i am opinionated. And my opinion is that draw reins are a short cut, they dont necessarily get the 'result' that people think they do and are totally uneccesary for a photo shoot where the horse is hacking or trotting around the school!
grin.gif

jennystreek

Visit site
she's probably got them there for safety - cant imagine that her horses are going to be your typical happy hackers that you could plod out with on a long rein
wink.gif

just a show jumping thing!!
grin.gif

kit279

Visit site
Ladies, ladies! We are now in the eventing dark zone so we have nothing to do except to try and solve the major issues of the horse world - barefoot, BSJA warm ups, BE refunds etc. It's the female equivalent of chuntering down the pub
grin.gif

Disclaimer, I am trying to avoid doing any work so long controversial threads suit me just fine
smile.gif

kerilli

Visit site
Halfstep, i too use them to hack out a nutcase, no problem with that. in the pic i'm referring to, she's cantering in the school, not hacking out.
i didn't say anything else about her or about the article, just that this in particular is a pet hate of mine... and imho it's not great to show them used like that by someone who literally thousands of others will emulate.
dingle12... do you really think that is how to use them right? to have them significantly tighter than the normal reins? if so, i've been taught to use them incorrectly.
this wasn't supposed to be a bitch-fest, btw, it would not have mattered to me which rider was shown using them like that, i would have commented on it.

jess_asterix

Visit site
I really don't see the problem with her using them photoshoot or not. As long as they are used properly does it matter? I use them 90% of the time i ride at home even when hacking(mainly because i can't stop in a snaffle without them but refuse to use a stronger bit on the flat!)

Leave the poor girl alone, all anyone ever seems to do is criticise her, she has had a fab last few months but that doesn't seem to get recognised!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why oh why is this woman held up as the poster girl for British showjumping??????

It is just beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. The only reason I dont like her is she can be such a stroppy cow if she doesn't do well. You see her grinding the horse to a halt and yanking on its mouth with a face like thunder if she has a pole down. That to me is not a good role model. She is clearly just the youngest and prettiest (?) of British show jumpers currently on the circuit...

Can't comment on the draw reins, haven't seen the pics!

estellebradley

Visit site
Kerilli - I have lessons with a very well respected dressage rider. I had never used draw reins before and it was his suggestion I started to use them. He has also said to have the draw reins tighter and the snaffle rein lighter in certain circumstances, based on the fact the snaffle rein can be harsher.

Any gadget, bit, spurs, whip can be as harsh or as mild as the rider makes them.

cyberhorse

Visit site
I have not seen the photos in question, but I am on a professional SJ yard and most of the SJ horses are hacked out in draw reins. Some are also ridden in them, it really depends on the horse. I guess the *real* issue here is that they appeared to be being used incorrectly, which if the case is fair comment.