Picture - What are these small lumps?

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what these small lumps on my mares shoulder might be. They've been there a few weeks and don't seem to be itchy or sore. I cant see anything on the skin underneath but i can feel the bumps when i run my hand over them. Theres a tiny amount on her other side too but this is the worst.
273e645e70cca2247cc16d5a9acc3b9d.jpg

sorry if its huge, don't know how to re-size

Visit site
My mare had something similar to this, but all over her body. They were protein lumps from a reaction to Alpha A, stopped feeding her it and it went completely, a few ended up turning in to cysts which were horrible but they are all gone now! She also got them when we changed to aubiose bedding.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes I've had similar to that as well dd, in my case it was a reaction to haylage. They were tiny pimples, a few went a bit weepy. I tried to feed haylage rather than soaked hay 3 years in a row, and 3 times got the same reaction. I gave up :eek:

I had the vet the first time and we had some antibiotics, advice to check washing powder etc, but it really was just the haylage.

Have you changed any feed etc OP?

ShadowHunter

Visit site
The only change we've had feed wise around the time that these would have started would be when i changed her onto Halleys timothy hay chop. I took her off her other stuff as i thought that her dry dandruffy skin was due to alfalfa, which is clearing up now, slowly.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
OK, I guess it's unlikely to be that. Different bedding? What's your grass like at the mo? Ours has gone crazy and I'm strip grazing again.
Or could she have got a bit warm etc?

ShadowHunter

Visit site
we did have different bedding delivered, still sawdust, but went from unbranded to champion chip. Wouldn't that cause lumps over her body not just at the shoulder? Our grass has finally stop growing actually, she does share it with sheep though, could she have caught something?
Could it be contributed to a worm or bot?

PorkChop

Visit site
That would make sense, so nothing to be overly concerned with?

No, however I would be aware of it the next time you clip.

You can get clipper oil for more sensitive skin, also after clipping I hot cloth my horses. Basically really warm water with a little hibbiscrub or lavender oil in - I take a flannel and wipe over their coat really well, seems to help mine :)