Pictures of my poor horse

silverbreeze

Visit site
Leading on from my previous posts about my mare that we have now got back I have come pictures. You can't tell just how bad she is from these as she is grey with a white background so kind of blends in, we have scored her between the 1/2 mark (although scoring in this way is new to me). Bearing in mind she is a full ID standing at about 16.2hh when you look at her and when she was went she had a wonderful full neck and body. (I'll try find som eold pics of her)
She has thrived just over the last few days, I think she was very dehydrated as well as starving. We have given her a bath with some lice shampoo and a good percentage of the little blighters have died but still loads more. We are going to have to get some powder but wanted the more natural one that you can get but couldn't find any this weekend. We have brushed loads of her coat out which she thinks is absolute heaven.
I have given her a rather drastic hair cut as didn't think she would appreciate me pulling her mane and I have trimmed all of her feathers. I am really impressed with how much she has picked up and no scouring etc so she is keeping in the food.
Please excuse the look on my face in the first picture!
P1000320-Copy.jpg

P1000317.jpg

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
That's a condition score of 1 - if my discussion recently with a WHW officer is anything to go by.

Has the vet seen her??

Rana

Visit site
Bless her, poor little mite. I've been following your posts - well done for bringing her home!

Hope she recovers well
x

flyingfeet

Visit site
Blimey - you wonder how anyone could let a horse get in such a state. Surprised you haven't broken the law and bashed the person responsible!

bonney

Visit site
sorry i haven't read previous post, but looking at your pics and what you hae wrote i'm pleased you have got her back and she will get the food and care she deserves.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Good Lord!
I have an IDX about the same height and would be mortified if I found her looking like that for some reason.
shocked.gif

Thank goodness you got her back and can start rehabilitating her!
Good luck!

Peacelily

Visit site
similar to HOPNSKIP I haven't seen your previous posts - but look foward to seeing her after all the TLC and when she's back in full bloom,

damn the people who let her get like this - bah...

ladybones

Visit site
Im so pleased you got her homesafe and sound, i saw your last post. I look forward to seeing her progress as you nurse her back. Have you reported the people who let her get in that state?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not yet, they are meeting me after work. Not sure what they check though so we shall see, I am guessing heart etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, I think it's really important in cases like this. Especially if she gets reported as a welfare case.

Poor lass - Why not start a blog on her progress?

f_s_

Visit site
I'm glad you have got her back. She really does look shockingly poor in the photos, but I'm sure you will have her back to full health soon.

Terrible when people let horses get to this state. You are lucky to get her back now before further damage was done.

Well done, and keep us posted, look forward to the progress photos
grin.gif

silverbreeze

Visit site
Just don't understand how they could let animals get to this state; it is plain and simple neglect yet they were both mortified when we took her away. I don't think they had taken her rug off since the start of winter and think the fact she had a thick rug on was probably her only saviour as she didn't need to use any fat to keep warm.

galaxy

Visit site
Poor thing. Bet she's glad to be with you.

The vet can give a course of 2 injections for lice. Mare up our yard had then in Jan, sorted them out instantly.

Good luck

Cliqmo

Visit site
Hi Silverbreeze, I think your(?) face in the first pic says it all! Your poor mare! I've not read your previous posts but hope she gets better soon- I bought my gelding in a similar condition to your mare last August and he is coming good now so it is possible
grin.gif

silverbreeze

Visit site
She is 21. The injection; is this ivermectin? Is this not a bit harsh on her system so soon in her recovery; don't know much about it but have heard of it. Will be asking all this tonight

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Dear God! Poor poor girlie. I am sure now that she is back in your care she will thrive. How lucky she is that you cared enough to firstly check on her and then buy her back.

I also hope that the people responsible for this have their horses taken away.

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
Poor old girl
frown.gif

The vet may decide against jabs as her immune system will be quite weak at the moment. My vet wouldnt do C when she arrived as she was so emmaciated.

I find Coopers is just as good although you may need to do two doses.
smile.gif

D

Donkeymad

You must have been gutted to see your lovely mare looking like that. I am so glad you have her back home. Some TLC and she willhopefully make a full recovery. Good luck

ace123

Visit site
Poor little mite
Glad you've got her back. I'm sure with Dr green and alot of TLC she'll be looking good in no time.
Good luck xxx