Pink Mash for weight gain?

Clodagh3110

Visit site
My mare is a 16hh sports horse x Irish draught and is as bad a doer as they come. Lost so much weight over winter has had teeth done bloods checked been wormed and been on sugar beet but won’t pick up weight at a decent speed. Recently got a recommendation of pink mash so decided to try it honestly just looking for peoples in personal experience with bad doers on it and has it worked for them thanks x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would feed something like micronised linseed so you can just add it to your regular feed or Equijewel as you won't need to feed huge amounts so it would probably work out cheaper, you will probably need to feed a huge volume of pink mash to have the same effect.

Clodagh3110

Visit site
I would feed something like micronised linseed so you can just add it to your regular feed or Equijewel as you won't need to feed huge amounts so it would probably work out cheaper, you will probably need to feed a huge volume of pink mash to have the same effect.
At the moment she’s just going onto it so I’m mixing it with her regular feed which is a mix of regular sugar beet and conditioning nuts, I was thinking of adding chaf and keeping the conditioning nuts in to bulk it with a scoop of pink mash morning and evening, not quite sure what micronised linseed is? I always add some linseed oil into her feed but didn’t know there was a type of feed with it

Caol Ila

Visit site
I was under the impression that Pink Mash was a better feed for easy keepers. I had my Highland on it briefly; he wasn't a fan but he was on it because it would not add weight.

My old horse was the hardest of hard keepers. I really rated Copra. And a linseed mash. I also had her on rice bran as well. And a million other things I can't remember, but she was on Bailey's #9 competition mix for a while, which helped a bit and didn't heat her up.

Clodagh3110

Visit site
I was under the impression that Pink Mash was a better feed for easy keepers. I had my Highland on it briefly; he wasn't a fan but he was on it because it would not add weight.

My old horse was the hardest of hard keepers. I really rated Copra. And a linseed mash. I also had her on rice bran as well. And a million other things I can't remember, but she was on Bailey's #9 competition mix for a while, which helped a bit and didn't heat her up.
Ya it came as a recommendation off someone thanks for the tips if it doesn’t work I’ll deffo try !

Pinkvboots

Visit site
At the moment she’s just going onto it so I’m mixing it with her regular feed which is a mix of regular sugar beet and conditioning nuts, I was thinking of adding chaf and keeping the conditioning nuts in to bulk it with a scoop of pink mash morning and evening, not quite sure what micronised linseed is? I always add some linseed oil into her feed but didn’t know there was a type of feed with it

Micronised linseed is a good feed for weight gain without being heating most of the time some can react to it just like any feed.

You can feed up to about 2 mugs a day for a big horse just start gradually, you can feed the oil the meal is just easier and you can feed a lot more of it.

You can add a chaff I only use grass chaff as my horses are sensitive to alfalfa and I don't see the point of a straw chaff mine don't really like it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I also thought its aimed at good doers hence why you need to feed loads of it I would imagine.

I used to feed copra lovely stuff mine don't really need it now.

J&S

Visit site
Dr Green does the business, i.e. grass. My elderly mare would not touch the pink mash.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Pink mash is incredibly low sugar and starch but can help with weight gain as its really good for any gut issues. It contains linseed but probably not as much as you want to be feeding a poor doer.

TPO

Visit site
Pink Mash is relatively low mj/kcal. 11 iirc

BUT I've found it conditioning when fed at RDA and more so than higher calories feeds like speedibeet. I'm presuming this is because it helps the (hind) gut and therefore enables the horse to utilise everything else that it's eating

Akkalia1

Visit site
I feed pink mash to my TB mare. Have done for the last two winters and her weight maintenance has been significantly better. I was shocked at how little the quantities are too. Prior to that I used to feed speedibeet and micronised linseed instead but her weight has definitely been better while on the pink mash.

It may be partly due to the fact that it helps digestive issues and I think I've seen a corresponding increase in the amount of hay she eats while on the pink mash. She always used to leave a lot of her hay net, these last two years she's definitely eaten more hay each night.

Could be coincidence, but just my experience.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I fed pink mash to my two good doers as the cheapest way of getting protexin into them. On the recommended ration, they definitely gained weight. A little too much infact so had to cut them down. As a poster above has said, conditioning the hind gut is a good start for weight gain, particularly when the horse is known to be a poor doer- the hindgut may be the reason?

sunleychops

Visit site
Don't think you'd see significant weight gain from pink mash unless you fed vast quantities of it. Best way is to use a high oil supplement as people have said like Equijewel, Outshine etc

I use Omega Rice and find it works very well on my TB, cheaper than Equijewel too

Rusky

Visit site
My mare is a 16hh sports horse x Irish draught and is as bad a doer as they come. Lost so much weight over winter has had teeth done bloods checked been wormed and been on sugar beet but won’t pick up weight at a decent speed. Recently got a recommendation of pink mash so decided to try it honestly just looking for peoples in personal experience with bad doers on it and has it worked for them thanks x
My horse is a Spanish warm blood and loses weight over the winter and it's hard to keep his condition. I feed him bruised barley and Baileys No 4 along with Alfa A and sugar beet.